#41 Sat 26 May 12 3:23pm

maddimouse

Forum champ
Occupation chatterbox addicted to cooking
From mid-west Germany
Member since Mon 23 Feb 09

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi Jamie,

I would love to see you writing a purely barbecue-book, and a purely vegetarian one.

Barbecue-book because I think you just love it, and Im sure there are many yummy things to put on the grill Jamie-style!

My thought behind the vegetarian book is, that I think people should eat less meat, and if they do, it should be free range or organic. That sort of meat is extremely expensive, though, and people who are used to eating meat prob. 4 or 5 times a week often have no ideas for full vegetarian meals, esp. for more than one course.
A book with recipes for the whole year would be ace.

Any chances??

Keep up the good work!  thumbsup

Love
Maddi

Likes (0)

#42 Sat 26 May 12 10:15pm

KellyFoodie

Member since Sat 26 May 12

Hi there, I'm 16 and In year 12, I want to study to become a pastry chef after finishing my A levels. What is your best advice? I really find learning about different desserts, pastries, cakes and so on, exciting. I never thought I could turn something I really enjoy into a career.

Where is the best place to study?
Best kind of qualifications?

(remembering that I can't afford posh schooling)

P.S - do you know of any pastry apprenticeships, In London?

Thank you,

Kelly S

Likes (0)

#43 Sun 27 May 12 2:25am

mrjamesporteous

Member since Sun 27 May 12

Alright there Jamie.

Currently on a quest to create the world's finest sandwiches - it's a project in its early stages, but you can see it here: thebutty.tumblr.com

Just wondered if you had any recommendations for an unusual sandwich that I might be able to rustle up and add to the site? As simple or as complex as you like, I'm not afraid to roll up my sleeves... big_smile

Cheers fella,

JP

Likes (0)

#44 Sun 27 May 12 8:35pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

jamie wrote:

DebDiMaggio wrote:

I can't get things crispy when I roast them, like chicken, or potatoes. I think it's because my oven is electric, but even when I use the old, heating up the fat in the oven and then putting the spuds in- trick I can't seem to get them to go crispy. My friends suggested I cheat and do roast spuds in the deep fryer but it's not the healthiest option. Everything I roast ends up looking poached.

hmm

Nice to hear from you Deb. Here is my fav recipe for the perfect roast potatoes with a few tips on how to get them extra crispy

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vege … t-potatoes
and for roast chicken - this is my sure fire recipe:
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chic … st-chicken

run me through how you cook the spuds and chicken as i may be able to give you some more pointers.

J x

Thanks Jamie!
Wow thats so cool.
I actually made a roast leg of Lamb for todays Sunday roast. It went pretty well because I added challots to very new potatoes, white wine sea salt and fresh herbs, I put a hunk of pancetta under them to keep them from sticking to the pan. I've never pre boiled them before but it definately works. I didn't do that before, I think my problem may have been 1. lack of fat 2. lack of moisture 3. putting them in raw.
I cooked the lamb and spuds for 3 hours slowly covered and then cranked it up at 250C and turned each side every 30 min. Worked a trick it was all crispy and juicy inside.

I will try your chicken soon. Love Deb

HAPPY BIRTHDAY  smile

Last edited by DebDiMaggio (Sun 27 May 12 8:36pm)

Likes (0)

#45 Sun 27 May 12 9:03pm

essexlemon

Hi Jamie,

I have a couple of your books and used to use your pizza base recipe a fair bit (but we have a good Italian restaurant nearby now that is not too pricey so have been cheating).

One of my sons is possibly suffering from coeliac disease and my other son seems to be having trouble when I eat wheat (booby fed) so I'm thinking he could be the same.  hmm   So I need some gluten free options for them both.

Would the pizza base recipe still work if I used rice flour?  I'd like to stick to your recipe if I can since I know DH and I like it.

Also, do you have any simple ideas for a treat when the other kids get given sweets and stuff at playschool.  Flapjacks are out because of the oats and it really needs to be something that will store well as we don't get any warning so they need to be ready on hand (normally when one of the kids has a birthday they bring a treat for everyone).

Thanks in advance.

Oooh, just realised it is your birthday today.  Have a good one  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

Last edited by essexlemon (Sun 27 May 12 9:07pm)

Likes (0)

#46 Sun 27 May 12 9:11pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

welcome to the forum essexlemon  big_smile

we have a couple of threads on the forum that deal with gluten free foods , I will try an hunt out a few for you.
Best forum members to help you are The White Rabbit and Olivia scotland , I know Olivia has written down a recipe for gluten free bread rolls that she worked on to prerfect ..

oliviascotland 's recipe for gluten free bread rolls
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/memb … Rolls/2122

her recipe for lemondrizzle cake (using chick peas !)
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/memb … 0Cake/2025

oliviascotland 's recipe for apricot tart using gluten free flour.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/memb … 0Tart/2298

the gluten free thread... lots of info on this thread..
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28081

hope these help. thumbsup

Last edited by mummza (Sun 27 May 12 9:19pm)

Likes (0)

#47 Sun 27 May 12 9:25pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

KarinCleary wrote:

What is the best method to cooking pizza in a conventional oven so that the crust turns out crisp?

welcome to the forum KarinCleary  big_smile

Do you have a pizza stone ?
You can now buy them at a reasonable price and they are orth using to get a crisp base on a pizza.

You have to preheat the pizza stone for a while untill it is hot and then you slide the pizza onto the hot pizza stone and cook as normal.
I find that using a izza stne is the best way to get a crisp base on a pizza.

Also ... I find that it is best to then place the pizza on a wooden board instead of a ceramic plate as this  helps to keep tha base crisp.

Likes (0)

#48 Sun 27 May 12 9:26pm

triesje

From netherlands
Member since Sun 14 May 06

Dear Mr. Oliver,
I am a great fan of your books. Only recently I have learned that i feel
much better if i eat without gluten and lactose.... I've tried to look up a recipe in your 30 minute book, that i can try. But it seems like almost every recipe have an ingredient, which I am not allowed to eat. Could you recommend me a recipe, or give me hints how to avoid the gluten and lactose and still try out your 30 minute dinners??
Thank you!
Yours faithfully,
Patricia
Purmerend, the Netherlands

Likes (0)

#49 Sun 27 May 12 9:33pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

batmom417 wrote:

What types of food  are cooked on each of the levels in the oven??So confused by it all. hmm

Welcome to the forum batmom417 big_smile

I have to admit that this gets me a bit confused as well and I have been cooking for years , if you have a fan oven then the fan circulates the heat and so the whole oven remains at the same heat.

But if you DON'T have a fan oven then as I remember (from learning at school many years ago ! )
The higher shelves are in the hotest area and the lower shelves are just slightly cooler.

so..
baked goods like biscuits and cakes cook around the middle of the cooker .

slow cooking.. lower shelves

things that require faster coking and higher heat upper shelves

Likes (0)

#50 Sun 27 May 12 9:48pm

Sinderela

whistle Happy Birthday to you Jamie! whistle

Warm greetings from Poland!
Madzia

P.s. You are my inspiration smile

Last edited by Sinderela (Sun 27 May 12 9:49pm)

Likes (0)