mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Gillybean1058 wrote:

12 hour rabbit Bolognaise

My mum says it's too extravagant to have the oven on for 12 hours... Haha. Can I do it in the slow cooker instead?

Welcome to the forum GIllybean1058  smile

I do not know the recipe and would have to look it up , but I would think that the 12 hour cook time would be ok for a slow cooker .

If you were to cook it in the oven then I  would think that if the cooking time is so long then the oven would only be on very low ?

Likes (0)

#62 Tue 05 Jun 12 12:37am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

DebDiMaggio wrote:

I can't get things crispy when I roast them, like chicken, or potatoes. I think it's because my oven is electric, but even when I use the old, heating up the fat in the oven and then putting the spuds in- trick I can't seem to get them to go crispy. My friends suggested I cheat and do roast spuds in the deep fryer but it's not the healthiest option. Everything I roast ends up looking poached.

hmm

Deb , what type of pan do you use for roasting the potatoes in and what type of fat do you use to cook them in ?

I have found that its sometimes tricky to crisp up the potatoes if I am using a pan with highish strait sides , however , if the sides are sloping outwardly then that seems to cook the potatoes better.

Also , it could just be a matter of a change of the potato variety that you are using.
Different varieties seem to cook in different ways.

When I roast potatoes I usually use an old enamelled sloping sided roasting pan .
I peel and cut the potatoes to the same sizes and I part boil them , draining them well and shaking them about in a collendar to roughen the edges.
I let them dry slightly then I tip them into the preheated pan into which I have put some of the solid vegetable fat that I prefer to use ( I mostly use a bit of trex as the preferred brand)
I the turn the potatoes so that they are all coated with a bit of the fat and then I sprinkle them with salt and put them into a hottish oven to cook.

Having already turned then in the fat , I do not baste them , but , as I do not use much fat , it would not be possible to baste them anyway !!!

I just leave them alone to roast and brown.

My suggestions are , maybe try a different variety of potato or maybe try a different fat to roast the potatoes in . Also , don't be afraid to cook them for a bit longer , I am not great at following times and I just put them in Till they are well browned ! Somehow I manage to get everything cooked perfectly at the same time , but given my time keeping its a mystery how I manage this .

Likes (0)

#63 Tue 05 Jun 12 12:01pm

diamondeyes

From Essex
Member since Sun 12 Jul 09

Hi, I want to try both hot smoking and cold smoking food, but I don't want to pay the astronomical prices I've seen commercial food smokers advertised at.  I saw Jamie make a food smoker out of a biscuit tin, but I can't find the instructions anywhere and I'm worried I'll forget something if I try it from memory.  Please can you tell me how to make the smoker?  Also, can you please give some guidelines on how long to smoke different things for, e.g. a chicken breast, a whole fish, etc?  Thanks very much smile

Likes (0)

#64 Tue 05 Jun 12 10:47pm

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

petrick wrote:

Hi Jamie, When I was a child my mother used to make "Kloese" which were flour balls cooked in milk, they were served with fruit compot, hot. (that's as much as I remember)

Unfortunately my interest in cooking only started about 39 years after she passed away.

Can you perhaps ask one of your German collueges for the recipe?

Enjoy the weekend !

Hi Petrick, at work they occasionally serve dumplings with fruit and vanilla sauce. It has a regional name which I cannot remember. I usually don't indulge as they are very filling whistle  I'll ask for the name at work and get back to you...

Likes (0)

#65 Tue 05 Jun 12 11:46pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

mr spice wrote:

petrick wrote:

Hi Jamie, When I was a child my mother used to make "Kloese" which were flour balls cooked in milk, they were served with fruit compot, hot. (that's as much as I remember)

Unfortunately my interest in cooking only started about 39 years after she passed away.

Can you perhaps ask one of your German collueges for the recipe?

Enjoy the weekend !

Hi Petrick, at work they occasionally serve dumplings with fruit and vanilla sauce. It has a regional name which I cannot remember. I usually don't indulge as they are very filling whistle  I'll ask for the name at work and get back to you...

German Yeast Dumplings Hefeklosse??
http://www.food.com/recipe/german-yeast … osse-86900

I'm just a frenchy 'collegue', hope that the above is what you are searching for ...

Likes (0)

#66 Thu 07 Jun 12 1:20am

aniecossart

Member since Thu 07 Jun 12

Hello Jamie,
thanks for your great work. Your recipes of healthy and organic meal are really very useful and I like to use them. A few day ago I watched 'Jamie Oliver's Food Escapes' Athens episode and found close similarity between Greek and Armenian food. I have no idea whether you have ever been in Armenia but I have been there twice and I have been impressed by their tasty and simply food. Unfortunately, I couldn't find good recipes in French or at least in English. I had tried some rices dishes with dried fruits that they call 'ghapama' and with meat called 'dolma' and loved them so much. Are you  familiar with their cuisine and can you help me to find out the right way to cook 'ghapama' or 'dolma'?
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Cheers from Paris!
Anie smile

Likes (0)

#67 Thu 07 Jun 12 10:51am

Debz13

Occupation Student
From Lancashire

Hi Jamie, im doing a course at college, VRQ in Professional Cookery, and have an exam coming up in a couple of weeks, 1 dish we have to include is poached egg on a crouton, how can i make this different ? everyone on the course is talking about there going to do a hollandaise sauce, but i want to something totally different and surprise Chef, any ideas would be very useful, thankyou in advance  big_smile
Debbie

Likes (0)

#68 Thu 07 Jun 12 10:55am

marricked

Hi mate,

What are your favourite, reasonably quick to make summer recipes?

And a quick question about curries - do you know if you are meant to fry the spices before adding any other ingredients? I've heard it's essential to do it however I don't want to make my curry too bitter by overcooking the spices. I occasionally upload pictures of what I've cooked to my Twitter (usually your recipes), feel free to follow me if you wish! www.twitter.com/ChrisRaperSmith

Hope you're well,

Chris

Last edited by marricked (Thu 07 Jun 12 11:11am)

Likes (0)

#69 Thu 07 Jun 12 11:03am

DCBlake

Hi! I'm new here. I'm a 21 year old with male with cooking as a hobby.  I'd want to learn how to make desserts and I'm thinking of making pie but I dont know how to bake. What kind of dessert are made by beginners. I'm thinking of pudding. Anyone has an easy recipe for pudding? And any advices for a successful first time at making pudding?

Likes (0)

#70 Thu 07 Jun 12 11:13am

jci073

What's your earliest memory of food?

Likes (0)