forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Tue 26 Jun 12 3:17pm

leon01

Member since Wed 13 May 09

Re: New to keeping chickens in the garden - help needed

Just bought a new turkey at the weekend ready for xmas, I was pleased to see that a different variety were being sold at the local market. In the past the birds only weighed in at 6lbs but this new one i have been told will reach 30lbs over the next 5 months.

I have heard many mixed opinions about keeping chickens and turkeys together but this is now the third bird Iive introduced and have not seen that many problems.

The chickens will bully the bird initially but they soon get friendly, the main way to reduce problems is to make sure you give amble food and spread it around the coup as the chickens try to prevent the turkey eating.

for a click of the new bird: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brSwmt-p6RU

Last edited by leon01 (Tue 26 Jun 12 3:18pm)

Likes (0)

#52 Tue 03 Jul 12 10:24pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

How are you getting on with that turkey leon01 ?

Likes (0)

#53 Tue 03 Jul 12 10:34pm

leon01

Member since Wed 13 May 09

I bought a second turkey and they have settled better, the hens pecking is now shared between the 2 turkeys and its reducing each day.

The second turkey is for a friend, he is rearing geese and we will swap a bird at xmas.

Likes (0)

#54 Sat 15 Dec 12 1:36am

Barryl

Member since Sat 15 Dec 12

Keeping chickens:  Whilst we do get foxes (and Buzzards, Sparrow Hawks, Kestrels etc.) the biggest problem with losses to our chickens has been from Badgers, those nice things that so divide the nation!  They just chew the heads off, probably drink the blood, and leave them.  The sight of 'Brock' pursuing a hen, pursued by our very large Golden Retriever, was a sight to be remembered, as much as a cockerel attached to my 'bro-in-law's and friend's leg each as they came down our garden one day!  None were amused except the G-R - GRRRR!  Brock escaped with a minor cut, 'Geraldine' hen ended up under a bookcase in the lounge!!  Brock now gets fed every night and only digs up the lawn occasionally now.  Another big problem with Badgers!

Likes (0)