Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 07 Jun 12 10:56am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: sometimes I feel I'm terribly late

With the weeks of rain & dull, grey skies, the only plants to grow like mad are the weeds here!

Terribly Late???? You bet I am............so many neighbours & friends have told me that the early seeds they planted never came up, but rather just rotted where they lay in the soil.
There is a saying.........'More haste, less speed'..........& this year it has proved true for us.
The seeds I didn't get time to sow when everyone else did, were put in later & are sprouting up nicely now.
Yes, they will be later, but better late than never!

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 07 Jun 12 12:02pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

that's so true Minni, I told you already maybe, and like a nonna I'll repeat, there was a man selling plants seed packets and vegs at the market, I went there with my children asking for french haricots(??) very early in spring and he kept telling me "No sta v premure di devent vece!" do not hurry to become old wink  lol

the best tomatoes were the last sown, last year

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 07 Jun 12 3:53pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

..............then have another cuppa, & wander around the garden with me..........dodging the spots of rain, marvelling how quickly a break in the weather sends seedlings shooting up, & tweaking out a weed or two here & there.
All too soon it will be time to put away the trowe,l & sit by the fireside with seed catalogues & dreams of the early crops we shall plant next year!

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 08 Jun 12 1:50pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

I know exactly what you mean.  I have always brought tomato plants, but this year my sunshine wanted to grow them from seed.  So although they aren't as big as the ones I would buy in a nursery I think they will taste better for the love they were planted with! big_smile

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 08 Jun 12 2:42pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

siete tutti fantastici big_smile

Likes (0)

#16 Sat 09 Jun 12 2:20am

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

When we had a big garden we lived up in the mountains so the seasons tended to be cold for longer, I used to have a table in the house next to a sunny window and start the seeds off in trays there, then plant out when the frosts stopped. We always had wonderful fruit and veg from that garden even with the short growing season.

I guess where ever there is a will there is some way of doing it.  You should keep up with the seeds they are so rewarding.

Last edited by Birdymum (Sat 09 Jun 12 2:20am)

Likes (0)

#17 Sat 09 Jun 12 8:59am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

thumbsup thank you all tips are useful and encouragement much more than anything, to fight against the  hmm  hmm faces of someone disturbed by my little pots with growing plants wandering around the terrazza  looking for sun wink

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Sat 09 Jun 12 11:30pm)

Likes (0)

#18 Sat 09 Jun 12 5:05pm

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

We grow all our veg from seed, we bring them on at home and then plant them out in the veggie planting area in our field when they have started to sprout. It can take a little time but its so so worth it. Alot of seed can go straight in the ground but we do do it this way with the ones that cant.  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#19 Sat 09 Jun 12 11:35pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

some plants like tomatoes, peppers and aubergines even grow better once you transplant them, putting then a little deeper in the ground, if I do not bind tomatoes for a few days they grow like mads everywhere especially after a rain followed by warm humid weather, I felt like in a sauna today in my campo shocked

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Sat 09 Jun 12 11:35pm)

Likes (0)

#20 Mon 09 Jul 12 1:14pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

we keep growing from seeds and the originals were once gathered by my deceised grandpa, continued by granny and then my mom took over. like cucumbers. that particular sort of cucumbers has by fact died out. it is my granny cucumber now.

Likes (0)