forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 31 Jul 12 3:55am

pasbart

Member since Tue 31 Jul 12

Eating Skins and Peels

Hi, I'm new here. I've recently seen several studies talking about how nutritiuos skins and peels and cores of fruits and veg. Jamie himself leaves garlic skin on these days. I realise these are the parts that don't taste the best, but I'm talking about nutrition. I'm just wondering how true all of this is, or if it's been proven?

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 31 Jul 12 8:02am

dhartley

Occupation Office Wallah
From Yorkshire / E Sussex
Member since Thu 15 Mar 12

Re: Eating Skins and Peels

It's certainly true that potato skins are packed with goodness which is why never peel them, but I wouldn't want garlic skins in a dish. I think it's probably true but you have to weigh up whether the inclusion of skins is going to make the dish lousy to eat.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 31 Jul 12 1:04pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum plasbart  smile

With using the vegetable skins ,I think it depends on a few things , how old the vegetables are and what is being cooked.
New spring or summer veg  are usually tastiest with their young fresh skins , they are soft and not unpleasant to eat .

But later in the year and with more a
Mature vegetables often the skins are tough and unpleasant to eat .
Winter veg , things like swede have tough skins and the skins are are not great to eat.

With garlic , it depends on how you are using it . If its being baked , roasted , used in stocks then there is little point in peeling it . The skins will help protect the little clove . The papery outer casing is not usually eaten , once cooked you just ease out the soft delicate flavoured cooked cloves (and they are a joy to eat ).
If I am using galic in something like stock then I will just cut the blob in half or if I don't want so much flavour , I just bash it to split he papery skin and just crush the clove a bit ( usually with the base of the olive oil bottle as its handy !) I then add the clove papery skin and all .

If you are using a garlic crusher then often you can just out the unpeeled clove of garlic into the crusher , you need a little bit of extra muscle power but the clove will generally still crush and the skin gets left with the debris

As far as I know , here are generally considered to be more nutrients closer to the skin of the vegetable . If I am peeling vegetables then I only take off the depth of peel that I feel is needed to make the vegetable more palatable for the dish I plan to cook .

The peelings that I take off don't generally get wasted ... They either get added to some stock I am making ...or go into the composter to rot down and eventually be fed back onto the garden !

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 31 Jul 12 2:51pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

It depends on the fruit and vegetable, but many do have excellent benefits and phytonutrients that help the body's cells regenerate (eggplant skin), etc.  Sometimes the peel's too tough or too dirty or coated in wax, in those cases, I peel.  When traveling, in some places it is customary to peel fruit before eating it and when that was the case, I did so because the skins were often not so nice and I assumed it was also done for the sake of cleanliness - to avoid whatever dirt or chemicals might be on the skins or in the case where the local water is not safe for washing fruits and vegetables that will be consumed raw.

I sometimes add onion and garlic skin, even when sauteing and just remove the skin before serving, because the skin caramelizes well and adds a lot of flavor and color.

Last edited by MsPablo (Tue 31 Jul 12 2:53pm)

Likes (0)