forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 01 Aug 12 7:22pm

jojoghop

Member since Wed 01 Aug 12

School Cafeteria menus

Hi Jamie!  I loved your television programs when you went into school cafeterias and tried to revamp their menus.  Which brings me to my post.  I currently work in a school cafeteria in Pennsylvania.  This year we are beginning a tremendous change in our school lunch program.  One of the biggest changes we're facing is increasing fruits and vegetables, and, incorporating more whole grains.  We're having great difficulty finding recipes that are fairly easy to prepare and include dark green veggies such as spinach, bok choy, etc., red/orange veggies such as acorn, butternut, hubbard squash, sweet potatoes, and various beans (black, kidney, garbanzo, lentils).  The National School Lunch program has an incredible amount of requirements and restrictions....any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 01 Aug 12 9:43pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: School Cafeteria menus

This site has some great resources.  This link provides recipes, but there are many other resources and exchanges that you might find helpful in this section.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/us/foundatio … on/recipes

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 27 Aug 12 10:09pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Re: School Cafeteria menus

Good link, just seen the worst/best food photos. Christ on a bike! The worst pics, someone needs shooting, serving that to a child. Last time I was in a School Cafe (Bavaria) it was not brilliant. I canít see kids rushing for the best pics, they are healthy, but not what a youngster would rush to.
I feel for you trying to get it together with those ingredients. Keep at it; my mother had to persevere with us as kids. We are much better for it.
Possibly looking abroad for ideas with pulses, Curries perhaps. Lasagne is a hit with most people. I am from the UK; kids here seem to have lost their taste buds. Big brand foods have done this (KFC Tesco Mc Donaldís Pizza Hut). This is weird as we have a pretty multicultural thing going on. There are a lot of different cultures and foods in the UK.
This is for sure a place to visit:
http://neverseconds.blogspot.co.uk/
This plucky young ten year old took on her local authorities gaining support from Jamie and other top chefs like Nick Nairn. She is an inspiration to us all. She has raised £113,580.00 for the Marys meals charity. Also the school meals from abroad may give some ideas. Japan has an amazing rep. for healthy school meals and empty plates, with food education thrown in.
Give a person a fish, you feed them for a day, teach that person to fish, feed that person for a lifetime. Some healthy advice with the meal perhaps? That said I am not a teacher. Japanese schools have food advice at lunchtime as well as the meal.

Good Luck.

Likes (0)