forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#701 Mon 13 Aug 12 12:09am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

Re: What did you find in your garden today?

Some tomatoes (some ripe enough to come off the vine), and a heatwave (very warm here, 85 degrees Fahrenheit here). 

Brought the Akita in.

Likes (0)

#702 Mon 13 Aug 12 6:39am

Miss GlutenFree

Occupation Admin Officer & Mum
From Queensland, Australia
Member since Sun 14 Mar 10

Hmmm.. MsP I definitely think your garden is more exciting than mine what with all those lovely animals.

I found a plastic bag and a pair of storm birds going for it. Rather interesting combo when you are leaving for work - thankfully the bag is now in the bin! Oh yeah - found another dead palm frond too, they are the Devil incarnate I swear.... the new house is NOT having any palms regardless of how "tropical" or "pretty" they are. Sorry garden lovers but they are not worth it.  yikes

Likes (0)

#703 Thu 27 Sep 12 8:45pm

WheelieFoodChik

Occupation ex-Avon Representative(though not for long, I hope), Online Student
From Rocky Mount, NC, United States
Member since Sat 05 Jun 10

I'm looking out my window and there's an 8-legged visitor that doesn't look too friendly shocked

Likes (0)

#704 Fri 28 Sep 12 2:00am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

My garden has been getting compliments because even as the end of winter the pots are big and bushy and nasturtiums were growing around and through them all.

We had SO much rain over winter (hooray our reservoirs are 80% full, first time for over twenty years) that all the goodness has been washed out of the pots and I didn't want to add liquid fertilizer to their waterloggedness. So it was hard to accept a compliment without shaking my head and pointing out yellowing leaves.

But the last few days I have been getting little and pieces done, including dry fertilizer and weeding and topping up pots with compost. I'll rip out the nasturtiums soon but they are self seeding, so they will be back. cool

Likes (0)

#705 Fri 28 Sep 12 3:03pm

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

My hubby is making more garden boxes so we will hopefully have a proper veggie garden this year. Now I am hoping to get them filled and planted before the weather turns too hot so the plants get a head start on Summer. crossed

Likes (0)

#706 Fri 28 Sep 12 4:42pm

MammaGatta

From
Member since Fri 18 Feb 11

I found what I thought to be an un-identified plant until I remembered that in that place this past Spring I had planted an avocado pit.   It's now a lovely 20cm. high with some tiny, little side shoots.  Anyone have any ideas of how I could try to help it survive the winter?    I know it'll never give fruit, but I'd like to see how big the plant could get. question

Likes (0)

#707 Thu 25 Apr 13 6:02pm

christian_halfm

Occupation Sometimes I would like to know myself (or like to change it).
From Germany
Member since Thu 17 Mar 11

I found that my rhubarb went a strange way to grow. It seems it is fighting back, although last year it looked like it was about to die.
Then, out of a mood, I started to put the veggie patch back to shape. Lovely!

Likes (0)

#708 Thu 25 Apr 13 11:08pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Two baby chilli plants (self-seeded) and five baby chillis.

Just found a flower growing on one of the rosemary plants ("bush" would be too grand). A day late for ANZAC Day but better late than never smile.

Last edited by Maree (Fri 26 Apr 13 1:45am)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#709 Fri 26 Apr 13 3:59am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Cheers Christian! If the rhubarbs root part is happy it will keep going!

My first Japanese windflower is out. I'm picking my stevia leaves to dry before the plant dies down for winter. I have a big rosemary that has been flowering like crazy, and such a beautiful blue. I hope yours is like that in a year or two Maree. cool

Likes (0)

#710 Fri 26 Apr 13 4:04am

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

I have a big rosemary that has been flowering like crazy, and such a beautiful blue. I hope yours is like that in a year or two Maree. cool

Thanks, Joy smile

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)