forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 22 Aug 12 12:21pm

mailmannz

Member since Tue 02 Jun 09

Growing asparagus

I planted six asparagus crowns about 2 months ago and since then the plants have taken off.

My question is, do I leave the asparagus to grow as long as it likes until it falls off the plant or do I cut it back after x number of weeks?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Mailman

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 24 Aug 12 1:28am

mailmannz

Member since Tue 02 Jun 09

Re: Growing asparagus

So...anyone here grown asparagus before?

Mailman

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 24 Aug 12 1:56am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Sorry Mailman,
I saw your first post and thought someone more knowledgeable than me would come along!
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1669960.htm
They say leave them til they go yellow and then cut them back. That would be so the goodness in them goes back to make the crown stronger.
I grew asparagus for a few years (then we moved to a place with no garden) but I did get to the stage when big fat stalks start coming up! It is wonderful! smile

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 24 Aug 12 10:56am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Hello mailman , nice to see you back. Sorry I have not had much chance to get on the forum much this last month .

With growing asparagas , DO NOT PICK IT AT ALL THIS YEAR.
Dont pick it as you need the plants to stengthen.
The asparagas spears will pop up almost overnight and iff left they will turn to that fine feathery fern that florist seem to like so much.
This thread might help .
http://www.gardeningblog.net/how-to-grow/asparagus/

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 05 Nov 12 10:34pm

AnnevdS

Member since Mon 05 Nov 12

If you want to eat nice asparagus (sorry I'm dutch) you must eat them in april or may. The must be picked out of the ground, the must grow under need the ground and you must cover them with black plastic or a blackout, so there nice white. If you have the money and the time you really must go to Limburg or Brabant in Holland, there are big asparagus festivals and you can get the most delicious recipes!!!

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 05 Nov 12 10:54pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Asparagus were grown by a family member who had a LOT of patience. I hope this thread wiil be of help (just another read as i see that my fellow forumers have already posted a couple)  smile

http://www.gardeners.com/Growing-Aspara … lt,pg.html

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 06 Nov 12 6:24am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

My father used to have an amazing asparagus bed , once established it did not need too much care , the asparagus used to just grow suddenly overnight .
The soil where he lived in Herefordshire was sandy and the asparagus seemed to grow well in both the climate and the soil.

AnnevdS , I never realised that the white Asparagus was grown in the dark and covered in black plastic to grow , I just thought it grew white because of the variety it was .
Here in the Uk the asparagus grown is a green variety and not covered as it grows .
I have seen the white asparagus but only in some of the shops , it's not very common here in the UK.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 12 Nov 12 12:19pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Yes, you need a sandy soil for asparagus.. they grow well at home in France, but I wouldnt have a hope in hell over here, with the weather and the soil....

When not in season, they will grow, and your garden might look like a jungle as it tends to spread a good bit.. dont be tempted to cut too much of it though...

Then they will grow very quickly around April/May when it's the season, keep an eye on them. Get one of those special asparagus picking things off the local gardening shop to pick them. You just follow the tip of the asparagus, use the tool to guide you vertically, and then cut at an angle.... we used to pick them during the week, keep them wrapped in plastic bags in the veg. drawer in the fridge throughout the week, and have a real feast at week-ends!

Frenchie

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 12 Nov 12 5:23pm

JOFoodTube

Member since Mon 12 Nov 12

Hi Mailman,

Great question! I am currently working on Jamie's brand new YouTube Channel which is launching in January 2013. Could you send me a email via this forum so I can get in touch with you directly regarding how we might be able to use some of your great questions on the channel?

Cheers

Charles.

Likes (0)