forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 06 Sep 12 5:52pm

steveb9rb

Member since Thu 06 Sep 12

Jamie Oliver/Homebase gas BBQ

I've just taken delivery of a Jamie Oliver branded Gas BBQ sold by Homebase.
I was disappointed to find out that it uses the lava rock system rather than a hooded burner. In my experience lava rock means bad flame-ups if using anything fatty.

Has anyone on the forum used this product? I'm thinking of sending it straight back un-opened help

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 06 Sep 12 8:47pm

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

Re: Jamie Oliver/Homebase gas BBQ

Hi Steve,
I don't know this particular BBQ but I've used both types you describe and I'm pretty sure the reaction is the same if you try to cook fatty food (chicken wings and drumsticks). My current BBQ has hooded burners and I still suffered flare-ups, so...what I always use now is one of those disposable aluminium trays you find in the BBQ dept. Except I use them over and over again. All they do is collect the fat that comes out of the meat stopping it from dripping and spattering over the burners/rocks. I recently grilled for 50 people and didn't suffer a single flare-up...
I've just replaced the aluminum trays with a 18"x12" iron grill pan from Australia. I forget the make but it was reduced from AUD220 to AUD80...it's absolutely brilliant and save me loads of time cleaning the BBQ thumbsup
There are some real BBQ aces here and they may advise otherwise...good luck big_smile

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 06 Sep 12 9:02pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

I have an Outback Trooper with Lava Rocks, no problems at all - our neighbours have a similar one and they always have serious problems. In the UK, I've seen people trying to cook very fatty things over a BBQ and they will always get a flare up.

It all comes down to knowing what to cook and how to cook it. If it's burgers, sausages or fatty cuts of meat or chicken then you are pretty much guaranteed a flare up. Usually because the heat is too high so the fat melts and flares up.

As an experiment, buy one of those expensive Birds Eye Steak Burgers and cook it in a Griddle Pan over a normal hob - you'll be shocked just how much fat comes off of it. Our butcher makes his own burgers (we're not in the UK) and they are practically all meat with only a little fat - they cook way better.

Lean cuts of meat will cook easier without a flare up, though again, not too high on the heat as they will dry out.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 06 Sep 12 11:28pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

welcome to the forum steveb9rb  smile

I thought that mst gas BBQ's use lava rock as they spread the heat .
Yes you do get a few minor flare ups if you cook fatty thngs but this could also happen with crarcoal as well , in my eperence it is not unusual to get the odd flash of flame as you BBQ things and the fat drips from the food that is being cooked.
Ths happens even if you are cooking n charcoal that is white hot and ash coated.

I keep turning meats as they cook and this seems to help a little.

Our butcher also makes his own burgers and sausages and we are in the UK . they also have little fat but to be honest it is rare that I cook burgers if we are having a BBQ.

I dont use a BBQ tray hen cooking on the BBQ as we cook directly on the BBQ racks.

We have a small gas BBQ and also a lovely little St Lucia coal pot , I last got the gas BBQ out f the shed on Christmas Eve last year to blacken the red peppers to make some soup !
We have not had much of a summer here, plenty of rain and little sun .
So there has not been much BBQing done.

I also have a majmar clay pot that the tagine sits on , this gets filled with charcoal that I light in a similar way o the coal pot , I cook with the tagine in the garden also.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= … acat=20625

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 07 Sep 12 5:01pm

dhartley

Occupation Office Wallah
From Yorkshire / E Sussex
Member since Thu 15 Mar 12

Once the coals have gone white I rake a pile up on one side which means you have much more control over cooking temps and if anything starts causing flare ups I simply move it to section with no coals underneath... problem solved!

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 11 Nov 12 10:04am

BBQMASTERCLASS

Member since Sun 11 Nov 12

Dear SteveB9RB

I wouldnt take the BBQ back . Thats what BBq do when there is fat or oils in the meats, fish chicken etc .

Gas ,  coal fire or gas with the lava rocks they all make flames or flare ups when oil or fat from the meat drips on the flames. Also even if you have very lean meat sometimes people might have olive oil or bastings on the meats that drip off into the flames and is ignited by the flame or coals in the bbq.

Trust you still enjoying your BBQ and decided to not take it back . You just cant beat BBQ food. I did some BBq cooking on Friday night again in 2degrees C .    big_smile

Last edited by BBQMASTERCLASS (Sun 11 Nov 12 10:04am)

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 09 Apr 13 12:56pm

ildi.berry

Member since Tue 09 Apr 13

I have a 4 burner Jamie Oliver BBQ in the UK. Does anyone know where I can buy replacment grills please. Have search the net but cant find any. Thanks

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 09 Apr 13 1:53pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

welcome to the forum ildi.berry smile

I think you would have to go stright to the manufacturer to obtain the spare parts that you need.
Do you still have the instruction manual or sheet thet came with the BBQ ?
If you dont you can usually find one via a google search , that should give you some details as to where to get spares from.

Sorry I am of not much help.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 14 Jan 14 4:53pm

busterjordan

Member since Tue 14 Jan 14

hi does anyone have the model number of the 4 burner gas bbq please I need to order a part ( wheel) thanks.trevor.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 14 Jan 14 4:55pm

busterjordan

Member since Tue 14 Jan 14

hi does anyone have the model number of the 4 burner gas bbq please I need to order a part ( wheel) thanks.trevor.

Likes (0)