forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Thu 13 Sep 12 6:22pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Microwaves ... Do you have one ? ...What do you use it for ?

White Rabbit , I will have to look and see if I still have that ld microwave book ..I think its somewhere and I will write out the recipe for you , all I can remember now is egg whites and icing sugar and these blobs of like a fondant icing becoing like pillows !

Likes (0)

#22 Thu 13 Sep 12 6:30pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

I like to put stuff on it  whistle

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 13 Sep 12 7:57pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

I use it for reheating, melting and defrosting.  I would love to see that microwave merigue recipe.

Likes (0)

#24 Fri 14 Sep 12 12:07am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

This is the recipe for microwave meringues we used: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1824 … in-minutes
Great fun but SO sweet and not like real meringues, so once my daughter got over the novelty of them, we didn't make them again.

Likes (0)

#25 Fri 14 Sep 12 8:40am

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

Had an absolute disaster yesterday with the microwave.  Was having a horrible morning, kids squabbling over what they should/should not have done and I was very cross.  Anyway, I was sorting out the dishwasher and cooking porridge in the microwave (the microwave is mounted in a wall cupboard above the dishwasher).  The microwave pings, and instead of closing the dishwasher, I just reached above to get the porridge out, whilst still acting as a referee.  As I do so the turn table comes too and hits the granit counter top, smashing the turn table to bits!  angry   Which just set the tone for one of those days!  Now got a new turntable on order  roll

Likes (0)

#26 Fri 14 Sep 12 9:32am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia

I hope the day has got better BritFinn! crossed

Likes (0)

#27 Fri 14 Sep 12 1:14pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

BritFinn wrote:

Had an absolute disaster yesterday with the microwave.  Was having a horrible morning, kids squabbling over what they should/should not have done and I was very cross.  Anyway, I was sorting out the dishwasher and cooking porridge in the microwave (the microwave is mounted in a wall cupboard above the dishwasher).  The microwave pings, and instead of closing the dishwasher, I just reached above to get the porridge out, whilst still acting as a referee.  As I do so the turn table comes too and hits the granit counter top, smashing the turn table to bits!  angry   Which just set the tone for one of those days!  Now got a new turntable on order  roll

That sounds terrible.  I once decided to cook an egg in the microwave.  A whole egg, in its shell.  It blew up.

Likes (0)

#28 Fri 14 Sep 12 1:16pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

My friend posted this facebook status a couple of days ago:

"advice needed urgently:
i was going to nuke my dinner plate tonight. when i opened the door to the microwave, i was greeted with a tupperware and various moving living organisms thriving and swarming in there. i was so horrified that i just closed the door and walked away. i started thinking about when i might have put that tupperware in there and remembered that it was WEEKS ago - i had microwaved something for dinner but then i had forgotten to eat it. from the few seconds that i saw of it, there was a whole colony of insects and who knows what other living things in there!
WHAT DO I DO???? i feel like i need to just throw out the microwave! i'd never seen anything so scary!"

After many comments and suggestions to throw it away or to turn on the microwave and nuke those little suckers she posted this:

"So here's an update to my new ecosystem in my microwave: as soon as I started nuking them, all the different creatures in there immediately started moving around. Different species were wriggling crawling and flying around everywhere. That went on for 2 minutes, and I had to shut it off because by then a couple of them had escaped through the vents. They must only be able to get out when the microwave is on. But, contrary to what everyone said, nobody died!"

Likes (0)

#29 Tue 18 Sep 12 7:50pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

I use mine for defrosting, the kids use it for popcorn, reheating but I do not like it for steaming veg. I always use a pot and water or the steamer... tastes waaaay better imo.

Likes (0)

#30 Wed 19 Sep 12 1:35am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia

Kou! What a disgusting story!  puke  puke  puke  Thank goodness I use mine so often that could never happen!

It reminds me that my mum called her microwave 'the little cupboard with a cold cup of coffee in it'

(because she would forget her cuppa til it got cold, put it to warm up, and then forget it again - did you work this out, folks, without me having to say?) whistle

Likes (0)