forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 26 Apr 09 10:57am

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Steak Bake pasty recipe please before i go mad.

When i am across the water's in GB, i indulge in at least one of these big square pasties...... Puff pastry, filled with braised/stewing beef, carrot, potato, onion with a thick brown sauce.

But i can't for the life of me get my sauce to having the same taste.

Calling all Brit's help Please smile

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 26 Apr 09 2:40pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Re: Steak Bake pasty recipe please before i go mad.

help

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 27 Apr 09 12:39pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Huh, i don't care if no-one else doesn't........this is what i finally did.

INGREDIENTS

* 1 cup peeled, diced  potatoes
    * ⅔ cup finely diced carrots
    * 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    * ¾ cup finely diced onion
    * 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    * 3 tablespoons flour
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    * 12 ounces beef stew meat (flank steak or top round), trimmed
    * 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
    * ¼ cup red wine
    * 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
    * 1 cup Chicken Stock or water
    * 1 large egg

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Put the diced potatoes in a saucepan and cover them with cold water, lightly salted.
   2. Put the diced carrots in another saucepan and cover them with cold water, lightly salted. Put both pots over high heat and cook until the vegetables are tender but still firm. (They are boiled separately because they cook at different rates.) Drain both in a colander and set aside.
   3. Melt the butter in a medium skillet and sauté the onion until golden brown. Add the thyme and set aside, off the heat.
   4. Combine the flour, salt, and pepper, and toss the steak in this mixture. Heat the oil in a heavy sauté pan or skillet over medium heat. Look for the first little wisp of smoke. The oil will smell hot. Brown the steak cubes in the oil until the outside edges are brown, and then add the wine, 1 cup of chicken stock (or water), and the onions and thyme. Simmer together briefly, then add the carrots and potatoes. Continue stirring until the liquid is as thick as gravy. Off the heat, add the parsley and adjust the seasonings to taste. Set aside to cool in a bowl.
   5. Divide the pastry into 8 even balls. Roll out each little ball on a lightly floured surface until it is a round about 6 inches in diameter. Layer the pastry rounds between parchment and chill. Prepare an egg wash by whisking together the egg and 2 tablespoons of water.
   6. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
   7. To make up the pasties, lay out 2 rounds of dough at a time. Place a cup of the steak filling in the center of each round. Brush a thin layer of egg wash around the edges of the pastry and fold the pastry over the steak about ½ inch shy of the bottom edge, patting the filling down as you turn the dough over it. Fold the bottom lip of pastry up and over the top layer. Crimp to seal using a lightly floured fork. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment and assemble the remaining pasties. Chill in the freezer 10 minutes. Dock them all with a fork a few times. Brush the top of each pasty with egg wash.
   8. Bake them for 30 minutes, until the pastry is completely golden.
   9. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftover pasties in foil in the refrigerator. Reheat them in a 325°F oven for 12–15 minutes before serving

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 27 Apr 09 12:43pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

sorry hun not made it before myself, I guess it's gravy maybe thickened with corn flour???

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 27 Apr 09 12:48pm

Kye

Forum super champ

DebDiMaggio wrote:

sorry hun not made it before myself, I guess it's gravy maybe thickened with corn flour???

It probably is, but having no gravy..........i found that this wasn't too bad big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 22 Sep 12 6:09pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Debs i did use cornstartch once but something was missing...

Have been slow cooking the meat with a little potato, pepper/herbs/white wine/red wine and adding a little gravy to thicken. Adding a roux at the end.

After a few tries the taste is almost there, but not the consistency for the sauce to stick to the meat, so it will be individual 'pies' (flaky topped but no crust under the meat).

help please    crossed

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 22 Sep 12 8:52pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

If it was bought at a well known baking chain... the meat filling could well have come out of a tin !
Or the sauce might have been thickened wth gravy grannules .

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 23 Sep 12 1:07am

Kye

Forum super champ

mummza wrote:

If it was bought at a well known baking chain... the meat filling could well have come out of a tin !
Or the sauce might have been thickened wth gravy grannules .

After searching it seems that mushroom soup from tins are added.

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 23 Sep 12 2:12pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Please no Campbell's! Brown some mushrooms in butter, salt and pepper. Add Cognac or Brandy.  Make roux ...etc.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 12 Nov 12 10:38am

TomThurston

Member since Mon 15 Oct 12

for the best steak bake pastry make sure you spend a lot of your time looking for the best steak! in my opinion, maybe different to others, you should get your steak straight from the producer so its as fresh as possible. if you are unsure how to get hold of the producers then go to foodbritain and they will point you in the right direction

Likes (0)