forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#361 Sat 22 Sep 12 1:43am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi Janet, welcome here! Hopefully Jamie will come along with suggestions, but what I can say is that you need something acid. It will depend on the recipe, but vinegar (so many varieties), tamarind and green mango powder (called amchur) are three lovely acidic additions for dressings etc. Have fun experimenting! wave

Last edited by JoyYamDaisy (Sat 22 Sep 12 1:43am)

Likes (0)

#362 Sat 22 Sep 12 5:32pm

foodiepinki

Occupation Asst Manager HR
From India
Member since Sat 25 Aug 12

foodiepinki wrote:

Hi Jamie
I am Priyanka from India. Hope you are doing good

Jamie I pure Vegan (  not even eggetarian) . Can u  pls let me know  egg substitute for cakes & meringue. We in India have very different concept of desserts and sweet dishes , but really want to learn cakes, meringue, custard,cannot try these things because of use of egg
Pls help me as I have tried my hands on different recipes but results have not  been good. Hope to hear from you

Thanks
Warm Regards
Priyanka

Last edited by foodiepinki (Sat 22 Sep 12 5:33pm)

Likes (0)

#363 Sun 23 Sep 12 5:32am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia

Hi Priyanka,
I can't imagine any way to make something meringue like without eggs.
Custards can be made with without egg by thickening flour (usually cornflour) in milk, here is a recipe: http://www.geethaskitchen.com/2009/01/v … gless.html
There are recipes for cakes without eggs too, here is the list google gives: https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en& … mp;bih=692

Good luck!

Last edited by JoyYamDaisy (Sun 23 Sep 12 5:32am)

Likes (0)

#364 Sun 23 Sep 12 7:35pm

erkeerokay

Member since Sun 04 Dec 11

Hi Jamie,

I love cooking and love your approach to cooking!

I notice that your ingredients always work so perfectly and this will leave no room for any disappointments. Here is the question,

How do you start a new recipe?

Cheers!

Erke

Likes (0)

#365 Wed 26 Sep 12 10:55am

lizzyc

Member since Wed 26 Sep 12

Hi Jamie
Can you give me the correct ingredients for your basic cookie recipe p336 in Ministry of Food please?  In my book the recipe uses the following 125g butter, 100g golden caster, 1 egg, 100g plain flour, 25g porridge oats 1/4 teasp bp 1/2 teasp salt.   A friend has the same book but has different quantities altogether. Which is the correct recipe please?
Thanks Lizzyx  smile  help  crossed

Likes (0)

#366 Wed 26 Sep 12 8:19pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

Dear Jamie or anyone,

do you know of a way to cook natural rice QUICKLY? Like in less than an hour. It takes me so long, I can only make it on my day off, Ill never have time before work. natural and red rice, they both cook about 55 min to 1 hour and 10 min. The brand is Spielberger something, Demeter, eco-stuff.
maybe one of those rice cookers they have in Korea and Japan...

Last edited by RedfoxEstonia (Wed 26 Sep 12 8:35pm)

Likes (0)

#367 Wed 26 Sep 12 11:27pm

Kittymoy

Member since Tue 25 Sep 12

Have you considered doing anything with Black Garlic?  help

Likes (0)

#368 Thu 27 Sep 12 2:36am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia

RedfoxEstonia wrote:

Dear Jamie or anyone,

do you know of a way to cook natural rice QUICKLY? Like in less than an hour. It takes me so long, I can only make it on my day off, Ill never have time before work. natural and red rice, they both cook about 55 min to 1 hour and 10 min. The brand is Spielberger something, Demeter, eco-stuff.
maybe one of those rice cookers they have in Korea and Japan...

Redfox, if you put it to soak in the morning, it will be quicker to cook in the evening. Also, cooked rice freezes well, so you can make a big lot on your day off and then freeze portions, and then you just need to remember to take it out in the morning to defrost in your fridge! Hope that helps!

Likes (0)

#369 Thu 27 Sep 12 6:58am

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

I was thinking the same, but I was afraid it will bloat too much, get watery yknow. But I suppose it is quite a hard grain, it doesnt perhaps bloat all that easily.

Likes (0)

#370 Thu 27 Sep 12 7:14am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I often freeze rice as Joy described. Haven't had problems with it becoming watery. crossed

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)