forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#361 Fri 28 Sep 12 11:43am

guillermops

Member since Fri 28 Sep 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi Jamie,

I am new to the forums!
Here is my question: I am lately reading more and more in many cooking sites specially in reviews, that some food has been "enthused" with some herb. Can you please give us some clarification on what that might mean?
Thank you in advance,
Will

Likes (0)

#362 Fri 28 Sep 12 12:41pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Hi, Will, welcome to the forums.

"Enthused" to me means enlivened or jazzed up.

Any other thoughts to help out here, guys?

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#363 Fri 28 Sep 12 12:55pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Hi, again, RedfoxEstonia. Yes, rice cookers are brilliant thumbsup

The other night I had jasmine rice ready to "go" / turn on and had an unexpected invite out.

Forgot about the rice, except to drain and refrigerate when I got home. Went to cook it the next night and it was like "mush". Jasmine rice is a fairly soft rice. I used it for breakfast the next morning with some rhubarb and apple compote I'd made before.

Soaking, after rinsing well, may be your answer to cooking the hard ancient grains but you will need to be vigilant so you don't end up with mush like I did.

That applies whether you use a saucepan or a rice cooker.

Hope this has been of some use  crossed

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#364 Fri 28 Sep 12 7:33pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

Maree wrote:

Hope this has been of some use  crossed

Of course! thank you!

Likes (0)

#365 Fri 28 Sep 12 8:05pm

dylanoscar1234

Member since Fri 28 Sep 12

Hi There,
            My question is how the hell can we change hospital food, I lost my Nana last week. It is a long story but she went in to hospital as she was not eating. I was discusted at the food they were serving so on top of not wanting to eat she was being feed pure crap!. little to say she did not eat.
          On top of everything my Grandfather has now been taken into hospital. I tried his food today and almost threw up. How can they serve this food to sick people and get away with it.
         Please help me do something before it is to late for many people. help  help  help  help  help  help  help

Likes (0)

#366 Sun 30 Sep 12 5:58pm

rachaelhamilton

Member since Sun 30 Sep 12

Hi Jamie,

Ive made your butternut squash muffins lots of times.......

The icing really doesn't set, I went as far as making it the night before and putting it in the fridge, it still didn't set. 

Is there something missing from the icing recipe? 

I love your work and good luck for the new 15 min book!  I look forward to reading and baking from it!

rach x clap

Likes (0)

#367 Mon 01 Oct 12 6:22pm

banwellks

Member since Mon 01 Oct 12

Hello I was planning to have guests over on Saturday but my son was unfortunately unwell and all was cancelled. I am now left with a large tub of double cream and I don't want to waste it.
On the tub it says i can freeze it when whipped - have you tried this does it taste ok when thawed ? And should I whip it and freeze in small "dollops" ?!!
Thanks for any advice x
Suzie xo

Last edited by banwellks (Mon 01 Oct 12 6:29pm)

Likes (0)

#368 Mon 01 Oct 12 10:17pm

amy wambold

Hello...I'm your Scottsdale Arizona Ambassador and proud of it! I'm getting a cookbook ready for Food Revolution Day where i'm gathering real recipes from real chefs for real families.  Partial proceeds will go to Jamie Oliver's Food Foundation. I have several chefs so far, and i was wondering if i could include a recipe or two of yours with approval of course! Your name would be given credit next to the recipe, along with all the other fellow "chefs giving back." Can someone email me an approved recipe or two? **crossing fingers**

Likes (0)

#369 Mon 01 Oct 12 11:00pm

alanjns

Hi, can you recommend a non-smoked alternative to chorizo sausage?

Likes (0)

#370 Tue 02 Oct 12 7:27pm

alice_forest

Member since Tue 02 Oct 12

Hello! I want to ask a question about the Epic BBQ Sauce from Jamie's America. How thick should it be? The recipe gives 5 or 10 minutes to simmer until the mixture starts to thicken slightly.
But I had to wait for about 50 minutes, i guess (not at really law heat). And I still think it was a bit thin. (I always have to increase the simmering time for recipes like that: ketchups, marmalades etc). smile
But the pork ribs were marvellous, thank you very much!!!!

Likes (0)