Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 23 Sep 12 10:15pm

RebeccaBourhill

Occupation Student wanna be chef
From Rustenberg, South Africa
Member since Mon 30 Aug 10

Italy - the place to be!

Hi guys,

We off to Portofino tomorrow where Jamie went for his Honey Moon!

We have been in Italy now for the last few days and it has been a real treat!i have loved every minute but unfortunately we have done a lot of driving because we have gone from Milan and we are on our way to the South of France and we have taken the back roads! But it has been wonderful!
Tonight we went out to a lovely restaurant in Santa Margherita Ligure and it was lovely!
I ordered risotto -the first time in Italy- and that was really good! But I thought that whilst we are in the risotto area I should learn how to make it the proper way so I went into the kitchen and I learnt! It really was a learning curve! I thought I was going into the kitchen to watch but they got me involved! WOW!

They did not add pecorino/ parmasan cheese and this confused me! But they added lots of olive oil, does all risottos have cheese? Or is it certain regions?
Jamie put cheese in his! So I am very confused!

Thank you
Rebecca

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 24 Sep 12 1:46am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: Italy - the place to be!

Wonderful Rebecca! And how like you to be heading off to the kitchens learning things! Cheers to you!
I am new to risottos but I am sure they don't have to have parmesan, or any cheese, in them.
Keep having fun! Let us know your next adventures there! smile

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 24 Sep 12 5:28am

RebeccaBourhill

I will! Keep you eye out on this forum page!

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 24 Sep 12 1:47pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Have a lovely time Rebecca!  I always wish I was in Italy!

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 24 Sep 12 7:43pm

RebeccaBourhill

I now know why Jamie went to Portofino for his Honeymoon! It really is a beautiful place and would go there again in a heartbeat! The only thing is it is really pricey!

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 28 Sep 12 4:35pm

MammaGatta

From
Member since Fri 18 Feb 11

Hi Rebecca,  Glad you had a nice time on your trip to Italy.  As for  your question about cheese/risotto-- What type of risotto did you have?  I'm thinking maybe since you were in Liguria it might have been a fish-based risotto.  In this case, you wouldn't use parmigiano or any other type of cheese.  In some regions it is not used when using fresh mushrooms, either.  Hope this helps.   smile

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 28 Sep 12 5:41pm

francesca italy

Member since Wed 26 Sep 12

Rice grown especially in the north of Italy. Piemonte is the biggest producer of ricnd e, than Lombardia and Emilia Romagna. You can find some colture in the south of Italy.
There are many recipes of risotto. Generally with fish and mushrooms you don't have to add cheese (generally parmesan cheese) but at the end you can add butter to have it creamy.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 28 Sep 12 8:30pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Rebecca,  Glad you had a nice time.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 09 Oct 12 2:26pm

RebeccaBourhill

MammaGatta wrote:

Hi Rebecca,  Glad you had a nice time on your trip to Italy.  As for  your question about cheese/risotto-- What type of risotto did you have?  I'm thinking maybe since you were in Liguria it might have been a fish-based risotto.  In this case, you wouldn't use parmigiano or any other type of cheese.  In some regions it is not used when using fresh mushrooms, either.  Hope this helps.   smile

Helps alot thank you MammaGatta! It was a seafood risotto. I dont add as much cheese now in any of my risotto but add extra virgin olive oil which is alot healthier !

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 09 Oct 12 2:28pm

RebeccaBourhill

Thanks everyone for your advise! all very helpful!

Likes (0)