#11 Fri 28 Sep 12 8:32pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: Might as well plan thanksgiving

WheelieFoodChik wrote:

Hi, Ann wave
My sister may do sweet potato pie, we don't know yet. As to the potato salad...I'm an NC girl too-- a holiday ain't a holiday without somebody making potato salad! lol

You can say that again!!

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 28 Sep 12 10:41pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Do you get those little salad potatoes with a slightly waxy texture ?
I boil them in their skins ,till just about cooked , drain them and then  toss them with a bit oilive oil add 1/4's of onions , little bits of fresh rosemary ( good amount) mix all together and then tip into a roasting tin and pop back in the oven .

The skins go a little leathery in texture and the middles cook really nicely.they are great for an occasion like a family meal as they don't really spoil if they are in the oven for a while .

And above all they are really easy to do!

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 29 Sep 12 1:58pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

It's not Thanksgiving without sweet potato mash.  After I boil my potatoes I mash them with lots of butter, a little allspice, some cinammon, and cayenne!

I also can't imagine Thanksgiving without corn.  Usually I make this CORN PUDDING.  You can sub out the poblanos for green bells, and I usually use smoked ham instead of Serrano (more affordable) and add lots of cheddar as well. 

2 large poblano chiles*
    2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 2 large ears) or frozen, thawed, divided
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted, slightly cooled
    1 teaspoon salt
    Large pinch of baking powder
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup instant corn masa mix (Maseca)**
    4 ounces 1/4-inch-thick slices Serrano ham or prosciutto, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
    1 cup coarsely grated Manchego cheese (about 4 1/2 ounces)

Char chiles over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides. Enclose in paper bag 15 minutes. Peel and seed chiles, then cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
Preheat oven to 350F. Generously butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Combine 1 1/2 cups corn, eggs, and next 3 ingredients in blender. Blend until almost smooth. Transfer mixture to large bowl. Add sour cream and Maseca; stir until blended, then stir in ham, cheese, chiles, and remaining 1/2 cup corn. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Bake until corn pudding is puffed and golden brown in spots on top, about 40 minutes.

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 03 Oct 12 5:21pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

koukouvagia wrote:

It's not Thanksgiving without sweet potato mash.  After I boil my potatoes I mash them with lots of butter, a little allspice, some cinammon, and cayenne!

I also can't imagine Thanksgiving without corn.  Usually I make this CORN PUDDING.  You can sub out the poblanos for green bells, and I usually use smoked ham instead of Serrano (more affordable) and add lots of cheddar as well. 

2 large poblano chiles*
    2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 2 large ears) or frozen, thawed, divided
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted, slightly cooled
    1 teaspoon salt
    Large pinch of baking powder
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup instant corn masa mix (Maseca)**
    4 ounces 1/4-inch-thick slices Serrano ham or prosciutto, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
    1 cup coarsely grated Manchego cheese (about 4 1/2 ounces)

Char chiles over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides. Enclose in paper bag 15 minutes. Peel and seed chiles, then cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
Preheat oven to 350F. Generously butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Combine 1 1/2 cups corn, eggs, and next 3 ingredients in blender. Blend until almost smooth. Transfer mixture to large bowl. Add sour cream and Maseca; stir until blended, then stir in ham, cheese, chiles, and remaining 1/2 cup corn. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Bake until corn pudding is puffed and golden brown in spots on top, about 40 minutes.

That sounds so yummy!

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 03 Oct 12 5:27pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

It;s the Canadian Thanksgiving October 8! We are having Prime Rib! yummy Oct 6 my eldest daughter is coming home for the day and I have booked all us girls for facials! Can't wait for that!

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 04 Oct 12 10:02am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

My wife and I will be in full throttle  thanksgiving feasting   this weekend.  Her family is doing a lunch on saturday and then my family is doing a family supper on sunday. Luckily one meal will be duck so we won't get turkeyed out. Monday which is actually thanksgiving will just be my wife and I and something  light to eat  after two days of feasting.   I am looking forward to not having to cook the main meals ,as we aren't hosting either meal this year.

My family has requested my garlic butter mushrooms , so I guess I will be doing a few pounds of those but that is the extent of my cooking duties.   thumbsup

My wife is on dessert duty with Raisin pie and maple creme brulee along with pumpkin pie.  I am sure she will sneak an apple pie in there too somehow.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)