forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 03 Oct 12 3:39am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

MINNIE - I wonder if you can help with a recipe?

I'm trying to find a recipe for pickled eggs like they used to sell (probably still sell) in English pubs.  I've googled ... some of them use beetroot juice but I don't want pink eggs.

I would love to make a jar as a gift for my husband - what else does a man want for his 25th wedding anniversary?  lol

So dear Minnie, or anybody else who can help, what recipe is best? yummy

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 03 Oct 12 9:07am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: MINNIE - I wonder if you can help with a recipe?

I have never used a recipe , I just used  clear white ( distiller vinegar and hard boiled eggs. You need to use very fresh eggs and hardboiled them well .. But not so as you get that grey ring around the edge of the egg.
You need to leave the eggs a good 3 or 4 weeks before you eat them . Maybe more .
It's been a long while since I made pickled eggs . But I am sure I did not add anything else .
I just seem to remember hard boiling eggs , peeling them
And packing them into a jar then coveting them with distiller vinegar, putting the lid in the jar then thejar id eggs into a cupboard .
I always used a large screw topped jar.

The hard thing is testing the eggs every so often .. You get an egg out of the jar and eat it to see if its picked enough telling yourself that's what needs to be done.
Then you discover that the eggs could do with more time .. So you leave them a bit longer and then feel the need to repeat the testing ...
And so it goes .
Finally the pickled eggs are perfect and just as you like but as you retern the jar to the shelf you look at it and realise that you had just eaten the last  one !
Or you leave the jar alone for several weeks  as I did when one of my daughters was smaller only to get it out if the cupboard to find it half empty as the small daughter had been busy testing the eggs herself !

Pickled eggs are a strange thing really , one of those things that I think of as peculiarly British.
Often can be found in fish and chip shops .
They don't seem to  be as  popular these days as they did 30 years ago.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 03 Oct 12 10:15am

MammaGatta

From
Member since Fri 18 Feb 11

We would always use one of my Nana's receipes for pickeling redbeets (with or without eggs), string beans, cucumbers, and chow chow (a mixed veg salad):

1    C sugar
1    C vinegar
2    C water
1    tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

I suppose you could leave out the sugar, but I've never made it without so I can't guarantee it will work without it.  Hope this helps.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 03 Oct 12 10:35am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I like hot brine  over the eggs.  A room temp brine seems to affect the texture of the eggs  making them rubbery , the same goes for using just straight up vinegar instead of cutting it with a bit of water.

amounts depend on the size of container and amount of eggs  but generally  I do 2 parts white vinegar to 1 part water with a  good pinch of salt  brought up to a boil then poured over the hardboiled peeled eggs.   I will often add pieces of onion or whole cloves of fresh garlic as well  and sometimes mustard seeds and black peppercorns.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#5 Wed 03 Oct 12 5:46pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

I have used the pickling spice packages and Ashen is right about the whites becoming rubbery.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 05 Oct 12 2:15am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

Thanks for all your tips.  I will let you know how I get on.  Now, why did I get rid of all my large glass jars?

Mummza, it is 30 years since we lived in England.  I wonder what else has fallen out of food fashion since then?  We used to get round sliced luncheon meat with a slice of hard boiled egg in the middle, that was my favourite.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 05 Oct 12 9:56am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

You don't realy see that luncheon meat much now , I remember the stuff you mean . My abiding memory of 'pork luncheon meat ' as is was mostly called was having to eat ' luncheon meat fritters ' at guide camp ! 
The luncheon meat came out of tall brick shaped cans , was sliced fairly thickly , battered in a gloppy thick batter and fried in lard  puke ... I did not like it but we had to eat it  puke . Goodness that was a long time ago .
Corned beef hash .. Now that was another nasty thing that we used to get fed at guide camp !
But fortunatly there was a lot of lumpy mashed potato and little corned beef added !
I never liked meat of and discription as a child but I had to eat it , it wasn't till I left home that it was accepted that I was vegetarian .

Likes (0)