forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 04 Oct 12 7:43pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Canadian Thanksgiving

Is Canadian Thanksgiving similar to American Thanksgiving?  We usually go to our friend's house who is Canadian and the menu is almost always a jerked leg of goat, some kind of vegetable soup and apple pie.  I'm just wondering if this is what every Canadian has for Thanksgiving.

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 05 Oct 12 7:58am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: Canadian Thanksgiving

I wish big_smile .. I love curried or jerked goat

More typical would be turkey with  traditional types of trimmings.  maybe  potatoes, squash, dressing/stuffing, cranberry sauce,  brussel sprouts , some sort of veg casserole , carrots ,parsnips etc .   pies for dessert. apple and pumpkin are pretty standard.  A large ham or pork roast or beef prime rib would be most usual for alternatives to turkey for  main protein. Canada is a largely multicultural nation so the variations beyond that are  countless.

In general I  think thanksgiving in the USA is a much bigger deal than thanksgiving is in Canada. My wife and I were visiting her family in florida last year during American thanksgiving and we were a bit shocked at how seriously it is celebrated there.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#3 Fri 05 Oct 12 9:37am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Much the sand as what has become the traditional British Christmas dinner ,Ashen.
Except traditional it's a ' Christmas pudding' that gets eaten for desert.

I think the level of celebrations , traditions etc at times like thanksgiving and Christmas etc just depends on each different family.
Our Christmas is very very quiet compared to many of our friends , it's more about spending time together rather than lavish celebration.

I also associate Thanksgiving and Turkey together for thanksgiving , for both Canada and America.
For years I thought thanksgiving was the same day throughout all counties that celebrated it , but it wasn't until relatively recent years and through the forum that I learned Canadian thanksgiving and American thanksgiving we're on different dates.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 05 Oct 12 1:05pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Ashen wrote:

I wish big_smile .. I love curried or jerked goat

More typical would be turkey with  traditional types of trimmings.  maybe  potatoes, squash, dressing/stuffing, cranberry sauce,  brussel sprouts , some sort of veg casserole , carrots ,parsnips etc .   pies for dessert. apple and pumpkin are pretty standard.  A large ham or pork roast or beef prime rib would be most usual for alternatives to turkey for  main protein. Canada is a largely multicultural nation so the variations beyond that are  countless.

In general I  think thanksgiving in the USA is a much bigger deal than thanksgiving is in Canada. My wife and I were visiting her family in florida last year during American thanksgiving and we were a bit shocked at how seriously it is celebrated there.

It's the biggest holiday here I believe.  It's certainly the busiest travel weekend of the year that's for sure.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 05 Oct 12 4:28pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I can vouch for that!  Once, we had to fly out of Dulles airport just before Thanksgiving.  The security line took 3 hours.

Likes (0)