Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 04 Oct 12 9:20pm

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

Re: bread

Westy thats just not enough proving.
1st prove takes at least an hour maybe 2 depends on room temperature, then knock back, knead a few times then shape, leave to rest for half an hour then bake once it has risen again.
Good  bread takes a bit of practise and getting to know the dough. There are some very good bread books to be had, the river cottage is one.
Do please let us know how you get on and
crossed for your next loaf.

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 05 Oct 12 3:48pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I would think its down to the knee ding and proving . Thee is also quote a lot of salt in the recipe .

Cut down the salt to 1 teaspoon full then gradually as you gat used to less salt in the bread cut it down further.

We use a tablespoon of sunflower oil in the bread that we make . ( for a large loaf ) .

Bread dough is also very susceptible to atmospheric conditions as a result it sometimes does not rise fully.

Try this ... Make the dough and knead it really well , it needs to be smooth and will spring back if you press it , also if you hold up the dough gravity should stretch it rather than it breaking .
Put it in a bowling the side in a coolish place and prove  it overnight .
In the morning , knock it back , share it and leave it for a second rise .

I am sure this will help.

Also the water you add should be warm and not hot , you might have it a little too hot. You might have it a little too warm .

Another thing .. I presume it's the fast action yeast sachet you are using .. Mix this into the flour . Separately from the salt . Then add the other ingredients .
If its a sachet of normal dried yeast rather than fast action you might need to activate it first in a separate bowl ,using the water and some flour. ( can't remember but I think you add the sugar also to this starter ) this can be done the evening before you make the bread . And cuts down a bit on the rising time .
Some of the contestants on the "great British bale off " did this . There was an episode on breads a couple of weeks ago (might still be on NBC iplayer

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 05 Oct 12 10:35pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

'knee ding and proving' sounds like a new groove tongue

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 06 Oct 12 4:49pm

westy81

Member since Thu 04 Oct 12

Hi kye. The loaf I made yesterday was much lighter. Thank you.

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 06 Oct 12 11:16pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

big_smile

Likes (0)