Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 05 Oct 12 3:53pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Re: Bread cheese and wine. Cheese wine and bread. Wine bread and cheese.

I have brought a bunch of hopflowers to a young girl in our public library today, she wants to make yeast with them, I'm sure she will teach me new tips she discovers while making it, which I did not know, and so the breadmaking goes on like a wonderful saga wink  thumbsup  big_smile

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 05 Oct 12 8:05pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Luv you are totally right thumbsup

mada, i am waiting  tongue

Now for a little gourmandise called Ciabatta, in Italy it has another name...mada???
I dont have any home recipes for bread so please forgive that i search on the net, Ciabatta is often mixed and rised by my bread machine, after risen i take it out and leave it to rise again, in the summer months it is covered with cling film and placed in the garden, winter it finds heat over the oven which is cooking other miets. The last time i added dried tomatoes and goats cheese. The bread didnt last until dinner!!

Recipe from Pease Pudding:
You can make this dough the night before you wish to eat it and leave the dough proving overnight in the fridge. Dough will always rise in the fridge, just at a slower rate. If you do make it the night before you just need to bring the dough out of the fridge an hour before baking it to allow the dough to come to room temperature.

Ingredients

500g High grade flour (strong flour)...i use any basic flour.
450 ml Luke warm (room temperature)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 ½ teaspoon dry Yeast
1 ½ teaspoon salt
Olive Oil

Method

Pre heat oven to 200C
In a large bowl mix with your hands flour, sugar and yeast.
Pour in the water.
Add salt and ‘beat’ in the bowl with your hands for 5 minutes. The dough should be like a very thick pancake paste not like a regular bread dough. To beat the dough you need to pull at parts of the dough and stretch it up high and then slap it down again. This pushes air pockets into the dough to create the airy texture. If you have a food mixer, beat it with a dough hook but still finish off with the hand method to push air pockets into the dough.
Pour about 1 Tablespoon of olive oil over the dough so the oil covers the top and goes down the side of the dough.
Allow to rise covered with plastic wrap for about 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
Pour the dough onto a well floured work surface (without kneading any further) and fold over like an envelope length ways to create the ciabatta shape.
Lift dough onto a floured baking tray and bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden and when tapped sounds hollow.

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 05 Oct 12 8:09pm

Kye

Forum super champ

FlameRed wrote:

Bread, cheese, wine... cheese, wine, bread... wine, bread, cheese.... mmmmm  yummy   My OH and I were partaking of such yesterday, sitting outside enjoying the later afternoon sun...  cool  dribble

And so pleasing smile

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 05 Oct 12 8:18pm

Kye

Forum super champ

dukegus wrote:

Kye wrote:

I need your bread recipes here mada  big_smile  there are so many recipes to share.

+1
thumbsup

Duke i hope that i havnt doubled your thread hmm i might have so please forgive smile

+1 does that mean that you will post here too  crossed  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 05 Oct 12 10:50pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

kye are you really thinking I'm a good breadmaker?? I did some good breads but forgot about them while everyone here kept saying one must always improove ..... I passed sourdough passion to my soninlaw and now the eldest nipotina wakes up with the house smelling of brioches

well my pizza dough that is the same I use when I make bread has 1/2 kg of 00 flour, 250 water, 4 tbsp evo oil, 3 pinch of salt
approxx.vely 1 cube of baker's yeast

I let it rise in an oiled bowl, then a little less time after stretching, if I make pizza , or in shape if I make bread, covered qith a damp napkin a freezer bag and a second kitchen towel, or sometimes a wet napkin and a pair of wool scarfs wrapped around (a pink one and a biliardo green)

oven at 200° for 15 or 10 mins, then 180° for other 20 mins according to the shape and dimension of the loaf or panini

are you telling me I must start a sourdough again wink .......... I often think of it, every time I look up at the fountain pergola with the last uva frgaola grapes still there ................... who knows

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 05 Oct 12 11:02pm

Kye

Forum super champ

True mada, i use the same recipe when making pizza dough. I forget most times how to make different breads, i just follow recipes except for my savoury cakes where the recipe is always the same.

Please tell me how to make sourdough, you must start a new one though at the same time just for practical reasons wink

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 05 Oct 12 11:09pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

ok let's start a sourdough thumbsup  big_smile
go out and get a grape you did not treat with anything and without washing it put it in a bowl

let's go out wink  lol

a  grandma's caffelatte cup with some 00 flour, a little water just to make a sort of battter, and let's dip the grape into it, I think we must let it breath, so not cover thee cup completely, maybe with a napkin, let it in the usual warm corner of our kitchen and wait until it bubbles, like mosto

I'm really going to do it now smile
pronti? via!

p.s. kye you must be out in the dark or to sleep so I'll wait for you to do it tomorrow lol

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Fri 05 Oct 12 11:11pm)

Likes (0)

#18 Sat 06 Oct 12 10:06pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Starting to get good bread at last. For melted cheese toasted Soda bread is king.
Bavaria has the best bread. Alas I am not the best bread maker on this board.
Soda is easy though, buttermilk , or yogurt , self raising flour and a raising agent for extra lift. I like to mix it with a folding spatula. It looks gnarly, that’s cool. Finely chopped rosemary in the mix.
Cheese
I had cave aged Wookey Hole yesterday, nice, very.Sharphams Rustic erm now great post I am off to get that cheese .

Last edited by @nGoose1 (Sat 06 Oct 12 10:07pm)

Likes (0)

#19 Sat 06 Oct 12 11:12pm

Kye

Forum super champ

mada, it all sounds very easy  big_smile  thumbsup

Goose wave

Likes (0)

#20 Sun 07 Oct 12 11:00pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Grand_Ma wrote:

ok let's start a sourdough thumbsup  big_smile
go out and get a grape you did not treat with anything and without washing it put it in a bowl

let's go out wink  lol

a  grandma's caffelatte cup with some 00 flour, a little water just to make a sort of battter, and let's dip the grape into it, I think we must let it breath, so not cover thee cup completely, maybe with a napkin, let it in the usual warm corner of our kitchen and wait until it bubbles, like mosto

I'm really going to do it now smile
pronti? via!

p.s. kye you must be out in the dark or to sleep so I'll wait for you to do it tomorrow lol

OK, lets get going, i now have the grape, flour and water....a little honey...dipping into a café size cup...if it bubbles too much should i cover with a helmet or put it outside  hmm

Likes (0)