forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 06 Oct 12 10:16pm

farmergiles

Member since Tue 25 Jan 11

Need to replace my food processor and it's got to be a good one!

Previously I had a bog standard 70 or less Kenwood Food Processor. Acquired over 3 years ago it's now frustrating me. Trying to do pastes in the big bowl ends up with vegetables stuck to the sides, the liquidizer now barely works at all probably due to being incapable of crushing ice properly and I'm jealous of Jamie always having effortless times with his one 30 Min Meals! :P

I kid you not, I did his Asian Salmon meal and when I came to do the slurry, the blades wouldn't even chop that! It's rubbish! :-)

I now want to chuck that away (or give it to a mate) and acquire something brand new, modern, high tech and powerful. It needs to do the following things however:

(1) Crush Ice without breaking to pieces
(2) Have a powerful motor
(3) Have accessories such as a decent juicer and whisk bowl.
(4) Ideally have be a multi processor (i.e. food processor AND a blender/liquidizer).
(5) Make smoothies, pastes, slurries etc without leaving vegetables whole and unchopped stuck to sides!

What do you all use and can anyone reccomend a decent model that literally does everything well!? Price isn't an issue, but let's say 250 max for now.

Thanks!

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 07 Oct 12 6:05am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Need to replace my food processor and it's got to be a good one!

The food processor that Mr Oliver uses on his 30 minute meal show series is a Magimix 5200 .
(I have the same machine and rely on it for daily kitchen help. )
There are smaller versions avalible and I did notice in the Which report that one of the Magimix foodprocessor's was one of their best-buy recommendations.
I have bought 3 of my now adult children a Magimix for their flats/ apartments , a smaller model than I have but equally as efficient.
The Magimix processor bowl and lid can go in the to rack of a dishwasher.

I have never crushed ice in my Magimix as I have a kitchenAid blender and that has an ice crushing setting.

I have used Magimix food processors for over 25 years and the only reason we changed to a larger model was when the family grew ! Older Magimix was passed on to someone who would use it and it still works .

My sister had a kenwood food processor that I bought for my father around 25 years ago , he used it loads ,it had been on offer at the time and greatly reduced then the price got slashed again as the supermarket I bought it from was no longer going to stock foodprocessors and was half the offer price  !
It was cheap .. Really cheap !
This good processor ended up with my sister after my father died . She has used it most days since. It was only this year that it broke down .
(I was amazed that it had still been in use !)
It was not possible to repair .

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 07 Oct 12 12:29pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

I too have a magimix, and I love it.  It seems to cope with pretty much everything.  Mine came with a large bowl, mini-bowl, and citrus press, as well as various blades and an egg white whisk.  I think you will always find some stuff sticks to the sides a bit, but I haven't found this too much of a problem.  I'm afraid I don't know how well it crushes ice, as the ice maker on my fridge does that at the press of a button.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 07 Oct 12 2:16pm

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

I gave my old brawn food processor to my eldest daughter, it is about 25 years old and still works brilliantly. Separate processor and blender bowls and still does everything as well as when it was bought.

Replaced it with a kitchen aid stand mixer, permanently set up on the bench, a stick mixer with various attachments and pull the really old Phillips blender (30yrs old) out of the cupboard whenever it is needed which is rarely as the stick mixer does most jobs, is powerful enough and easily cleaned.

Not exactly the way you were thinking but maybe something a little different to consider.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 09 Oct 12 12:43am

farmergiles

Member since Tue 25 Jan 11

Well I looked up the Magimix site. I saw their food processor, juicer and blender. Now I know that Jamie uses both the blender and the food processor and the reviews on Amazon seem to complement both highly. Although I've noticed the Duronic blender is far cheaper and also gets rave reviews. Bear in mind IT MUST BE ABLE TO CRUSH ICE WITHOUT BREAKING! I wish I had a fridge that did it for me, but until my Banners Broker business kicks off I won't be moving out of my flat any time soon! :-)

Food processor shows the 3200, 4200 and 5200 options as well as XL versions of each. I live by myself but do entertain for guests on frequent occasions. So maybe a 5200 is overkill and I should opt for the 4200 to get the best of both worlds...........XL required or not?

I wouldn't mind a juicer - vegetable/fruit smoothies would be useful to me in my abs diet. However the Magimix juicer gets horrible reviews and it's dam expensive. People tend to like the Phillips Juicer for 70-80 on Amazon - gets a great deal of 5 star reviews.

Would I need all 3 though or can one of the appliances do an effective job of the other? I don't mind too much as I've got some money spare after cancelling my stock ISA!

Last edited by farmergiles (Tue 09 Oct 12 12:55am)

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 09 Oct 12 6:56am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

The kitchenaid blender has a ice crushing setting  so the motor alters to the task . It's a good machine and I know that around 5 years ago I purchased 2 for the school I work at. They make and sell smoothies to the children once a week and apart from having to change the rubber coupling once they have been very reliable , very much up to the task of coaling with frozen fruit ice etc.
they were expensive at the time when we bought them but have been great machines. We bought them originally as part if a 'healthy eating week ' project . During that week every child in the school had the chance to design a smoothie recipe and make the smoothie.

They also get used for when the children make soup and are good at blending soup ( yes you guessed there is a soup setting on the blender as well !) .

Likes (0)