forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 12 Oct 12 1:24am

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

Re: Diabetes Advice

Kye wrote:

Hello Terry wave Its good to have you back here.

I am sorry that you have been diagnosed diabetic, here we have a saying 'over 50 and overweight' hmm i imagine that now you have a list of tablets to take eveyday.

Contrary as mentioned in the above thread there are no miracle berries, just a handful of dark fruits that are harmful to diabets. They are worth looking up on the net.

There are foods that you are allowed to eat, others not allowed at all and still others that are 'within reason' types...

In fact all you have to do is change your eating habits...no ice cream, very little fruit, no butter and s*d all starch lol  wink NO sugar!!!

I have a book somewhere, will be back. Take care.

http://youtu.be/g0SH-TVbHh4

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#12 Fri 12 Oct 12 1:30am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

Kye wrote:

Terry you have certainly searched yourself on the net but as you are here and asking i found a few links to help...i understand that all will be strange at the beginning, the most important to do is make a list of all goods and bads. I know that fruits have sugar content that can cause harm for diabets, fiber rich fruits here noted are allowed;

'Fiber rich foods are generally safe for diabetics to eat because they tend to have a lower glycemic index (GI) and therefore do not spike blood sugar levels to the same extent as high GI foods. This is because fiber delays the emptying of stomach contents into the small intestine which slows down the absorption of sugar into the blood stream. Fiber rich fruits tend to be fruits with edible skins and seeds as it is these parts of the fruit that are highest in fiber. Fruits high in fiber include (fiber content in brackets): passion fruit (10.4%), raspberries (6.5%), apples (2.5%), pears (2.1%), apricots (2.1%), blueberries (2.7%), kiwifruit (2.1%), strawberries (2.0%), pomegranates (3.4%), and avocados (6.7%)'.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/diabeticdiet.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes-diet/DA00027

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes-diet/DA00027

Thanks Kye.
Yeah I have searched til my head spins and often found conflicting viewpoints. Other foodstuff such as cockles mussels winkles etc I find little on.
I really appreciate advice from people on here though. It feels a bit less cold and forboding. A spoonful of sugar helping the metformin go down as it were.

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#13 Fri 12 Oct 12 1:39am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

Hi Terry,
What a blow to have that diagnosis. Thank goodness they catch it earlier now and you have the opportunity to prevent further damage to yourself.

I went on a sugar free diet (simple sugars) because my chronic illness means I can do very little exercise and my body wasn't coping with the sugars. Not diabetes luckily, but I do understand what a big change and how you miss the sweet favourites.

I know with the low glycaemic things you can be a bit less strict, but you might find this info I dug up useful: http://background-joy.blogspot.com.au/s … of%20foods

There is still a world full of wonderful delicious things to make!

smile

I suppose my blessing is that I don't have a sweet tooth. I really do miss my fruit juices though. Crunching apples etc is such a bummer.  sad I'm adjusting slowly though. I'll get there.

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 12 Oct 12 7:17am

alenwhite

Occupation Writer
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Oct 12

Diabetes is complex health problem and many peoples are facing to this problem around the world. The basic reasons of diabetes is lack of insulin which is essential for the functioning well to our health system. You can add green tea in your diet as it is very helpful for the increase metabolism rate. It also burn calories hence here you can control your weight management.

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 12 Oct 12 9:16am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I would suggest researching cinnamon and cinnamon suplements..   Apparently there is evidence that it can help .  the research seems to show that  Cinnamon improves insulin sensitivity  .  Before you start using any supplement it is important you consult your doctor though, as it can alter the levels of meds you need.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#16 Fri 12 Oct 12 2:32pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Good luck!  I heard that about cinnamon too.

Well Terry, maybe you would like a Thai beef salad or something similar that is spicy and full of interesting flavors. lol   Don't worry, salads don't have to be boring with giant pieces of crunchy carrot and spongey raw mushrooms (two things I never could appreciate in salads!).

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 12 Oct 12 6:46pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08
    Likes (0)

#18 Mon 15 Oct 12 4:10am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

MsPablo wrote:

Good luck!  I heard that about cinnamon too.

Well Terry, maybe you would like a Thai beef salad or something similar that is spicy and full of interesting flavors. lol   Don't worry, salads don't have to be boring with giant pieces of crunchy carrot and spongey raw mushrooms (two things I never could appreciate in salads!).

Oh raw mushrooms (presliced and cleaned as I'm lazy) are one of my fridge snacks now. Yum yum yum.
My fridge snacks are, radishes, baby tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, pickled gherkins, cox apples and olives. I've always been a fridge stalker, so they help a lot.
I also much on a handful of unsweetened 'Wakey Wakey' crispy oat pillow breakfast cereal instead of crisps.
I've lost 4.5lb in less than 2 weeks without feeling starved. Looking for diabetic recipes now that I can cook up, freeze in muli batches, and microwave when I fancy them.

Likes (0)

#19 Mon 15 Oct 12 4:12am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

alenwhite wrote:

Diabetes is complex health problem and many peoples are facing to this problem around the world. The basic reasons of diabetes is lack of insulin which is essential for the functioning well to our health system. You can add green tea in your diet as it is very helpful for the increase metabolism rate. It also burn calories hence here you can control your weight management.

Cheers, I'll stick that on my list. I hear white tea is also good.

Likes (0)

#20 Mon 15 Oct 12 4:14am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

Ashen wrote:

I would suggest researching cinnamon and cinnamon suplements..   Apparently there is evidence that it can help .  the research seems to show that  Cinnamon improves insulin sensitivity  .  Before you start using any supplement it is important you consult your doctor though, as it can alter the levels of meds you need.

Oh I love cinnamon. I may try sprinkling some on my raw apples. My video recipe for chilli con carne included it too.

Likes (0)