Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Mon 01 Oct 12 6:53pm

cactus_flower

Member since Mon 01 Oct 12

Re: Eating in Morocco

For a really authentic experience I'd suggest eating in the famous "jamaa el fna" place at the Medina by night, huge open restaurant, everything to please the senses and especially your taste buds, authentic yet a bit risky with some cases of food poisoning registered. You will see a lot of tourists and locals eating there, so try to eat at the "busiest" place you'll find, all sorts of moroccan cuisine : couscous, tagines, moroccan harira (traditional tomato soup), fish, grilled meats...
It worth experiencing, word of a Moroccan smile
Check Jamie's videos he's been there.
Jamaa El Fna place is a UNESCO world heritage since 2001.

Have a nice trip !

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 03 Oct 12 8:21pm

JAW

Member since Sat 16 Jul 11

Hi Folks,

Thanks cactus flower!

Thanks again for your advice and thoughts, I had an excellent time! Unfortunately I couldn't find either of your recommended restaurants Dave, but I did find a lovely riad just off the Djemaa el Fna square on my second day.

Here's part one of my travel report!: http://fraichefood.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ … art-1.html

Part 2 & 3 to follow shortly....

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 04 Oct 12 11:35am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

I realise that it's of no use to you now, but you've reminded me of an experience I had in '72 eating a brown rice and vegetable stir fry with a bunch of 'high as a kite' hippies on Essaouira beach at sunset. Even the alzheimer's doesn't cause me forget that.

Cheers

Y

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 09 Oct 12 11:49am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
Occupation Farmer
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

Hi Jason/Jaw! I'm happy to hear that you had an awesome holiday! thumbsup ...I will have to take a 'raincheck' right now sorry & have a look at your "Blog" (thanks for posting!) in the next few days - as, it's time for bed over here in Kiwi Land! Cheers also from me; Kris wave

Last edited by Kiwi Kris (Tue 09 Oct 12 11:50am)

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 10 Oct 12 11:11am

JAW

Cheers Kiwi smile

It's memories like that, Beerforyorky, which make travel priceless. Even though on a super tight budget I will try to always make room for travel as you really cannot put a price tag on your experiences!

Parts 2 (http://fraichefood.blogspot.com/2012/10 … art-2.html) and 3 (http://fraichefood.blogspot.com/2012/10 … art-3.html) are now up...

Likes (0)

#16 Tue 16 Oct 12 4:35am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
Occupation Farmer
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

Thanks, Jason, for sharing your Blog page links of your awesome holiday in Morocco!  cool ...I've finally (sorry) read fully your "Part1" & viewed your cool photos, thanks! Wow! You & your friend, Matt, certaintly 'packed' in heaps on your first day of your arrival - especially since you only had 3 days there!  thumbsup

I thought it quite comical, how some of the Street Shopkeepers felt that their food was better than 'our' Jamie's!!!...it sounded like you guys had to be 'on-your-toes'/have your witts about you - to ensure you were kept safe & didn't spend all your money at once! wink

I will be back to read your Part 2 & 3, at a later date, as, housework awaits me before thinking about our dinner!.....
I'm glad you both had a fantastic "Moroccan Experience!!!
Cheers!  smile

Last edited by Kiwi Kris (Tue 16 Oct 12 4:43am)

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 16 Oct 12 8:23am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

JAW wrote:

Cheers Kiwi smile

It's memories like that, Beerforyorky, which make travel priceless. Even though on a super tight budget I will try to always make room for travel as you really cannot put a price tag on your experiences!

Funnily enough the food is what I remember most (it was 1971, not 1972). I'd never been out of UK before (unless you count Wales) and my mother, albeit an excellent cook, tended not to experiment with "foreign foods".

I remember rillettes in France, tortilla in Zaragosa, raw bacon and tomato sandwiches in Barcelona (?), wonderful tapas in Murcia, couscous in Oujda, curry soup in Meknes, barbequed sardines on a pier in Casablanca and the aforementioned brown rice.

The cost of the 3 month round trip from Leeds was Sterling 105.00!

Likes (0)

#18 Wed 17 Oct 12 6:58pm

JAW

Thanks for reading and your comments, Kiwi!

Interesting, beerforyorky; I think food acts as an anchor for memories and travel, in that a certain flavour or dish can pull up a host of memories of place and time...

Likes (0)

#19 Thu 18 Oct 12 6:52pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Jaw,  I really enjoyed reading your blog as well.  What a wonderful time you must have had!

Likes (0)

#20 Thu 18 Oct 12 7:38pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Lovely photos too!

Likes (0)