Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 02 Aug 12 12:14pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

making bread using a kenwood chef

I have just bought a dough hook for my very old kenwood ( it belonged to my Mum ), I don't have any books that she got with it, well it is nearly 50 years old !!.  So the question is, do I use a normal bread making recipe or is it different ???

Any advise greatly appreciated, the machine has laid unloved in my fathers cupboard since mum died 15 years ago, and it has now been overhauled and is ready for action again  big_smile

thanks

Gem

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 02 Aug 12 4:34pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: making bread using a kenwood chef

I have not used the Kenwood Chef.  I have used my Kitchenaid mixer with a dough hook for making bread.  I think you can use it for any dough recipe that calls for kneading.  If the machine is struggling with a stiff dough, then either you have kneaded enough and it's time to rest or it's time to hand knead.  You don't want to put too much strain on the machine.  50 years old, that's amazing!

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 03 Aug 12 10:35am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Good luck with it! Maybe make a small one (no more than 3 cups flour) first time and see how it goes. I agree that any recipe should work!

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 19 Oct 12 7:49pm

bev0542

Member since Fri 19 Oct 12

Hi, my Kenwood chef has been in a cupboard for a long time too. Very old but good maching A702 model. I just found a dough hook for it and used it to make bread. It has been trial and error and I think I have it figured out except for how long to let it knead the dough. I have started at five minates but the loaf was quite sticky? Should I let it go longer is the question.
Also here is a very easy and wonderful bread this one turns out really good. I just knead it a bit at the end.
SHANNON'S SEEDY BREAD
Mix together in large bowl (I used my Kenwood Chef with dough hook .
4 c white flour
2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c flax
1/4 c poppy seeds
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
3 tbsp sesame seeds
4 tsp bread machine yeast
Mix Separately:
2 1/2 c warm water (I made it quite hot) bowl cools it down
3 tsp salt
4 tbsp honey
4 tbsp oil

Add wet ingredients to dry; mix with dough hook. Rise about 1 hour (in oven with oven light on)
(until doubled in bulk). Shape into two loaves, let rise again. Bake
375 F for 20-25 min.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 19 Oct 12 11:23pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

I hope it still works! Usually stuff that are that old, if they work, they will practically for forever(yeah, there was a time when products were made to last...). Use it in any dough that needed gluten development, 1-2 min at slow speed and then 4-6 min normal speed, depending on the development required.

Maybe try autolysing the dough to help speed up the mixing and the use of the machine. In very rich doughs, withhold the butter till the end and if the sugar is more than 20% do the same. Rich doughs need much more kneading that lean doughs.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 20 Oct 12 2:01am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Autolyse is a great way to develop gluten without  a lot of  kneading.   There is also a flavour benifit because kneading will oxidize the dough more than just letting water and time do the heay lifting.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#7 Sun 21 Oct 12 8:37am

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Ashen wrote:

Autolyse is a great way to develop gluten without  a lot of  kneading.   There is also a flavour benifit because kneading will oxidize the dough more than just letting water and time do the heay lifting.

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 21 Oct 12 12:19pm

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

Like MrsP I use a kitchenaid for bread,

Try this as it is easy and can be easily halved if it is too much for the machine.

500 grams bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon sugar
3 teaspoon dry yeast
Mix together in bowl using regular beater till evenly combined

2 tablespoon oil, nothing strong flavoured
300 ml, barely warm water

Use regular beater till just combined

Change to dough hook for kneading. Either whole or 1/2 the mixture depending on how your machine takes it. When silky smooth and kneaded remove to let rise and knock back by hand when risen. Shape and allow to rise again before baking.

I find it better to halve the mixture before adding other ingredients at the last stage of using dough hooks.

Good luck with your baking.

Last edited by Birdymum (Sun 21 Oct 12 12:20pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 22 Oct 12 12:18pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

I am soooo pleased with my bread making, my kenwood was bought in 1964 and is the A701a model.

I have fine tuned my loaf to -

1 1/2 pounds flour - mixed 50/50 white and brown or 1/3 white/ 1/3 brown/ 1/3 seeded.

approx 500ml of water
1tsp salt
1tsp sugar
1 packet yeast - fast action
drop of oil.

I put all above into bowl and mix slowly with the hook to blend then up to 3 to knead for 10 mins,

Turn out on to board and shape - rise to double size then bake.

for a crusty top mix 1tsp rice flour, 1tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp yeast pinch of salt with about 3tsp oil and enough water to make a paintable paste.  paint loaf before baking.

Does any one use bread improver - ????.  I never have but wondered if I should try.

Gem

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 22 Oct 12 4:27pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Earthmum- try a tiny pinch of powdered ascorbic acid (vitamin C)in your dough recipe and see.   Your recipe only has one rise but it does have a fair bit of wholemeal flour which contains the germ . The germ has an enzyme , I forget its name but it works against gluten breaking it down over time, and  a tiny pinch per pound of dough of ascobic acid can counter it.

Edit- ok it is called glutathione and it is a tripeptide  not an enzyme  . Yes ,I do  know that probably doesn't help anyone , except maybe TWR .  tongue  lol

Last edited by Ashen (Mon 22 Oct 12 4:40pm)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)