Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#411 Sat 20 Oct 12 9:56pm

Morin

Member since Fri 12 Oct 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi Jamie:

My name is Juan Morín & I am from México & I just love to cook, an even more the way you cook¡¡¡ Simply outragous¡¡¡ I would like to ask you for one of you 30 minutes meals recipe, it's the one where you make duck breasts crispy with croutons, You even put a heavy thing on the breasts so they cook flat (remember???) I use to have it but, never did it,  and then lost it, so if you could share this recipe with me I will be thankfull.
Greetings from Mexico & from a cook who admires your work.

Juan

Likes (0)

#412 Sun 21 Oct 12 11:01am

Charlieb1

Member since Sun 21 Oct 12

Have recently started substituting white flour with brown wholemeal. So I am using more and more wholemeal recipes.  However, I have noticed the following -
some recipes do not stipulate whether you should use plain or self raising - what should be used.  b) some recipes use half wholemeal and half plain white - why can the recipe not be all wholemeal and should it be assumed that it is plain wholemeal?
Lastly when following a recipe using white flour can it be substituted like for like with wholemeal
Thanks   question

Likes (0)

#413 Sun 21 Oct 12 1:26pm

karenlesley

Occupation Retired
From Blandford Forum, Dorset
Member since Sun 26 Sep 10

For Jorge, I have forgotten a lot of my German so had to look up 'Pastinake'.
You can plain boil them and toss them in butter and finely chopped herbs, or parboil and roast them with potatoes if you do a 'Sunday Lunch'. They can even be substituted for bananas if they are boiled, mashed and sugar and banana flavouring added. Use them in soups and stews - in fact practically anywhere you would use potatoes or carrots.
Hope this helps
Karen

Likes (0)

#414 Mon 22 Oct 12 7:52pm

phylisbide

Member since Mon 22 Oct 12

What was the picture of in today's Daily Telegraph? Something savoury sliced from a roll.... looked nice. Is there a recipe?

Likes (0)

#415 Tue 23 Oct 12 1:16am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I'm attempting to reply to Charlieb1.

Hi, obviously, I'm not Jamie but I do quite a bit of baking.

A) if a recipe doesn't stipulate plain or self raising, I assume it means plain;

B) for half and half recipes, you could use all wholemeal, but you'd end up with a *really* heavy bread/ loaf etc. I tend to use 1/3 whole meal: 2/3 plain but that is my preference.

C) assume it is plain wholemeal.

D) I think "B" covers that.

Hope this is of some use.

Anyone else got some ideas?

Welcome to the forums, Charlieb1 wave

Last edited by Maree (Tue 23 Oct 12 1:17am)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#416 Wed 24 Oct 12 1:21pm

zimtsternchen

Member since Tue 23 Oct 12

hi jamie ..

I have a question for you .. I have a little son, 1 year old, for I always eat the hot cooking itself, I use for fresh vegetables, the season, which I mix with potatoes and then puree. whatever good has become and he found it delicious. the last 2 times is beyond me but then spoiled the vegetables, although I had the Glaesser boiled in which I have the vegetable filled, then the vegetables had put into it and it had all made ​​storage in the refrigerator. I'm really desperate and white just not what I had done wrong. can you please help me?

love greetings carina.
help

Likes (0)

#417 Fri 26 Oct 12 7:21pm

Karenjj

Member since Fri 26 Oct 12

Jamie, HELP!!! I love your 15 minute ideas but I don't yet have a food processor.  I've been trawling through all the different makes and what they can do, reviews etc.  Which one would you recommend?

Likes (0)

#418 Fri 26 Oct 12 9:52pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

welcome to the frum Karenjj smile

I am not Jamie , but I have a Magimix food processor, I can recomend that ne they have a very strong motor (and a long garantee ) they are well worth saving up for.

Likes (0)

#419 Fri 26 Oct 12 9:59pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Charlieb1 wrote:

Have recently started substituting white flour with brown wholemeal. So I am using more and more wholemeal recipes.  However, I have noticed the following -
some recipes do not stipulate whether you should use plain or self raising - what should be used.  b) some recipes use half wholemeal and half plain white - why can the recipe not be all wholemeal and should it be assumed that it is plain wholemeal?
Lastly when following a recipe using white flour can it be substituted like for like with wholemeal
Thanks   question

welcome to the forum Charlieb1 smile

I have found that substituting plain flour for all  wholemeal flour results in a heavier bake, what the white flour does is  allow the texture of what you are baking to be lighter.
If I use wholemeal flour I generally mix a bit of whte flour in with it.
I do not usually use all wholemeal.

Likes (0)

#420 Fri 26 Oct 12 10:05pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

the white flour creates a better, more flexible texture, more elastic because it has more protein. wholemeal has lots of fiber so if you use all wholemeal the bread crumbles. I usually take some wholemeal, some white and some soy flour. the last buns were so tasty I ate them all with cloudberry jam in one go.

Likes (0)