Thanks MsP.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 25 Oct 12 4:48pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Re: No Refrigerator?

I was again today at how JO stores root veg at home.

It's called clamping.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/gardening/article.php?id=176

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 25 Oct 12 7:10pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

That's a fairly interesting article coco but I am sceptical , this seems ok for just a few bits of fruit and veg , but there was not the keeping of dairy produce , raw or cooked meats , raw or cooked fish , or any of the things like left overs that are generally kept in the fridge.
Personaly , I don't think what has been offered in the article to be a very practical solution .
Eggs are ok kept out of a fridge (but not totaly recomended )as problems occour when the temperature of the eggs vary e.g. Moving an egg contestantly between room temperature or a fridge as it encourages the growth of organisms.

The link to Jamie's gardeners tips for storage and over wintering of vegetables I know works well as this is how we always stored vegetables to get through the winter .
Also we used to wrap dry freshly picked apples in paper and place them in cardboard boxes so that none were touching.
I have seen a photograph where Genaro Contaldo was fixing bunches of cherry tomatoes together and hanging them. I have never seen this before and wonder how long they will keep like this.

We are fortunate as we have a small cellar , just a bit of a corridors realy that goes underneath the entrance hall . Down in the cellar is an old oblong thick slate slab that has a drainage grove cut into it that goes almost the whole way around the slab , at one corner these chanels are directed towards the floor and underneath on the floor is a drainage hole.
This slate slab was originally used for the storage of meat, the drainage Chanel I am told would have tipped any blood that drained from the meat pooling and would drain off into the drainage hole in the floor.
Our house is over 110  years old and this is an original feature of the house .
There was also a long slate slab in the pantry , but this had to be moved so that we could fit the fridge in. It is now in the garden as a bench .
We had to do without a fridge for a good fewmonths after we first moved into this house and I can tell you it was not easy to manage with a family.
I was relieved when the fridge was finally delivered and we could store food in a safer manner.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 25 Oct 12 7:30pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

That's interesting about the cold storage/drainage system mummza!  I don't have any cold interior spaces, but it's pretty handy for people who grow and want to keep fresh vegs.  I'd draw the line at storing raw meat in a non-controlled temp.

A friend's 17th c. home in Pennsylvania had a small stone spring house which was used in past times to keep foods cold.  I think the spring ran right through or under the stone floor.  It was just a trickle at that point and the interior had collected some ferns.  But, it was quite cool inside that space, even on a hot summer day.

Last edited by MsPablo (Thu 25 Oct 12 7:36pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 25 Oct 12 10:40pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I know it is interesting MsP at the moment the slate slab in the cellar houses a wine rack so its not easy to take a photo of.

Every Christmas Eve , my darling goes along to the wholesale fruit and veg market , its meant for the trade but they have always served us and we have been going along there for over 20 years.
We buy fruit and veg by the box and put it in the cellar , it keeps well down there as in the winter its like a cold store.
We usually share the boxes of fruit and veg with another family (but last year they were away ad so this didnt happen ) we find that the fruit and veg keeps very well in the cellar and will still be very good for the new year .
By doing this its bth economical and also means that I dont have to go to the shops between christmas and new  year apart from getting things like milk and bread flour if we have run out.

what we have to remember about refrigetation is that there has been a lot less food brne organisms since refrigeration has become common place in peoples homes .

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 25 Oct 12 11:58pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Great design ideas though! smile

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 26 Oct 12 8:28am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Yes to me it seems more like an art installation than a storage solution .
And defiantly not designed by someone who needs to shop for a large family .

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 26 Oct 12 9:23am

beerforyorky

Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

During construction of our house in Surin, we temporarily resided in rented accommodation and bought a small refrigerator. After moving, we purchased a larger refrigerator and gave the existing one to my wife's family.

Since then, the only things that I have ever seen in there have been bottles of water.

Everything they eat with the rice (mandatory) is fresh from a garden and if (repeat, if) anything is left it is fed to the ducks and chickens.

A simple life.

Likes (0)