forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 28 Oct 12 1:09am

jelovatt

Member since Sun 28 Oct 12

Borlotti beans

I love Jamie and his food, recipes, and passion for good cooking  but his pronunciation makes me shudder. Today I watched an episode of Jamie at home and he gave a lovely recipe for borlotti beans with scallops.
But he pronounced it "borlo'i beans". There is not only one t in this word , there are 2!
Now I know it's fashionable in today's England to speak "street" (Ricky Gervais has the same accent: I was honestly embarrassed to be British when he was hosting the Golden Globes) but just imagine  those people who watch Jamie in other countries, who have no notion of horrible modern British pronunciation............they simply would not understand! The same goes for the word "better" (Jamie pronounces it "be'er") and I could go on but you get the picture. What do other people think of this weird t dropping? I think honestly that it's more difficult to say "borlo'i beans" than borlotti beans! I can't beleive that a famous person like Jamie doesn' thave advisors to tell him how to speak at least reasonbly intelligibly!

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 28 Oct 12 1:10am

jelovatt

Re: Borlotti beans

Sorry, spelt believe wrongly!!

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 28 Oct 12 11:55pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Jamie is how he is and we all admire him here. I have absolutely no qualm (sudden access of usually disturbing emotion) as to the way he speaks. Why should he take elocution lessons when the 'politically literate' have problems understanding them selves.

I'd love to hear the way you voice/express your language. Your writing needs a few corrections.

Signed by one of those 'other people who watch Jamie in other countries'.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 29 Oct 12 2:43am

jelovatt

Very interesting. Which country? USA I suppose? Or Australia? Isn't it funny that England is the only country where people think it's cool to drop t's?
Massacring the English language is very fashionable these days, more especially in England than elsewhere!

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 29 Oct 12 3:05am

SherylS

Occupation Totally food obsessed bookkeeper
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 13 Aug 08

All I'll say is, if you don't like the way he speaks don't watch his shows, simple as that!

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 29 Oct 12 4:19am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I am guessing you have never heard a Canadian say Toronto.. whistle  wink

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#7 Mon 29 Oct 12 10:20am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

People from different regions speak/ pronounce differently. It's called dialect.

Ashen, we have a suburb of Newcastle called Toronto. (Some of) The locals pronounce it as "Tronno".

Read an article recently on regional dialects in England. It could possibly have been about anywhere. It was stated that the "t" is often dropped by people from Essex/ the East End" and "th" is often pronounce "v" as in "bover" rather than "bother".

Jamie's a proud Essex boy.

Aren't there more important things with which we need to concern ourselves? Or should that be "Bover ourselves"?

Last edited by Maree (Mon 29 Oct 12 12:07pm)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#8 Mon 29 Oct 12 10:40pm

jelovatt

Well, I don't really agree with you on that. It's not a question of charming regional patois, it's just slovenly speech! T droppers are everywhere in England, certainly not just in Essex! They're in Yorkshire too! It's fashionable!
But ok I give in: I've said my piece and even if Jamie has a ghastly accent, his recipes are great and I love all other aspects of his art!

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 30 Oct 12 7:44pm

karenlesley

Occupation Retired
From Blandford Forum, Dorset
Member since Sun 26 Sep 10

Jelovatt, how I agree with you! There are some regional accents that I just cannot understand, Geordie, thick Liverpudlian and Northern Irish to name 3. Most people have one form of speech for family and friends (usually slang and accented - for instance the 'Gangsta Jafaken' accent) and another for  'Telephone' use.
A lot of it is plain laziness and lack of politeness, also not wanting to stand out from the crowd.
Glad someone feels the same way I do.
Karen

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 01 Nov 12 4:49pm

Livi2

Occupation SUPPORT WORKER
From WESTON SUPER MARE
Member since Mon 08 Oct 12

Now then....I agree with you all..let's all be tolerant and enjoy this  Mighty Beatles of the food industry.

Likes (0)