#451 Fri 02 Nov 12 11:36am

jamie

Chef
From Fifteen Restaurant, London
Member since Wed 24 Mar 04

Re: Ask me a cooking question

whinch wrote:

Hi Jamie,
I am new to Aga cooking and want to cook your Crackled Pork Belly for friends. Can you please help me translate the cooking method for it and in particular the grilling of the crackling? So far I haven't mastered grilling, had some real disaters!!
Thank you
whinch x  yikes  crossed

Hi there

Make sure that the pork is at room temp,score it and coat with oil, salt and pepper. Throw the belly in a very, very hot aga for 20 minutes, then cook at normal heat.

here is one of my recipes for you

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork … elly-roast

Likes (0)

#452 Fri 02 Nov 12 11:38am

jamie

Chef

ANN wrote:

Jamie,  How old did you start letting your kids help with simple cooking.  My 2 year old wants to stir and taste and is really interested on the cooking and baking process.   What would you suggest keeping her busy with in the kitchen?  I really want her to keep a good interest in cooking and baking and enjoy it.  smile

Hi Ann

Nice to hear from you. My kids love making bread with me, the whole process of bread making is perfect, mixing the dough and then making various shapes.

Nice one

Jamie

Likes (0)

#453 Fri 02 Nov 12 11:39am

jamie

Chef

Pappy K wrote:

Hello Jamie

I have just recently built a wood fired oven in my back yard and have been told that this is the place to learn how to get the most out of it.  Is there a section that deals with this, or, have you put out a book that deals with this.

Hi Pappy

Loads of recipes for you here:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/wood-fired-ovens/

take some pics of what you are cooking and share them with us all in the blogs

cheers

Jamie

Likes (0)

#454 Fri 02 Nov 12 11:42am

jamie

Chef

robynlyndon1 wrote:

Hi Jamie or who is answering the emails

I have learnt so much off Jamie - I am half Italian but I live in Queensland Australia and I have so many recipes books of jamies and have been very lucky to have gone to jamies' restaurant when I was in London - I have always loved cooking but you have inspired me heaps more I learnt so much from you cooking on TV - I love the way you try to get healthy food out to the world it is so important - but I now make my own spaghetti, pizzas, ciabatta bread and so many more of your recipes - You are the best and i appreciate how much you are helping so many people to eat better int he world - you need be awarded something special for trying to help the whole world to eat better.
I can not make mayonnaise - I have no idea what I am doing wrong but it always taste too oily for me and I wonder if it is because I am adding the oil to quickly but I need to perfect it and I am looking for a modern potato salad for my daughters 40th birthday which is held in our hot summer so something that looks cool so I am asking about mayonnaise and potato salad - saw your fennel salad tonight on your 15minute recipes with celery and mint and a full lemon put through the food processor - would this be the nicest fennel salad I can use for the same day - I am doing a nice green asian salad with carrot strips and capsicum strips and mint and coriander with sesame seeds cooked on the top this is one salad I am doing on the day another is an Italian with tomatoes and boccini cheese with balsamic vinegar, next salad I was hoping for a recipe from you for a potato salad, plus what other salad would you put with this meal - we will be having a good Aussie barbecue with grill prawns, steak and sausages as will be very hot here at the end of November.

I am trying to work out which salads go together>

Thanks again for all your help - I really do appreciate the help that is given.
Cheers
Robyn big_smile  clap  help  big_smile

Hi Robyn

I like to use Creme Fraiche for my potato salad or yoghurt - here is a recipe for you

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vege … tato-salad

cheers

Jamie

Likes (0)

#455 Sat 03 Nov 12 7:50am

Katrina45

Member since Sat 03 Nov 12

Hi Jamie,

I love your recipes.  I am holding a dinner on 11 November for my daughter's 18th birthday.  There will be about 20 of us ranging in age from 10 to 82.  Any menu suggestions?

Thanks and can't wait to hear from you.

Likes (0)

#456 Sat 03 Nov 12 2:46pm

robynlyndon1

Member since Sun 24 Jun 12

Hi Jamie

Thanks for the potato salad will try it this weekend so I am ready for my daughters 40th birthday.

Could you let me know what the secret is to making mayonnaise as I seem to follow the directions but I always make a mess of it - my mayonaise always taste to oily is it because I am adding to quickly - I do buy Italian virgin olive oil is there any other oil I should use - can it be made in my food processor which is a magi mix - I also have Kitchen Aid blender as well but would like to know the secret - I will try again tomorrow making it again - but if you could let know how to make it!!

Chgeers
Robyn big_smile  clap

Likes (0)

#457 Sat 03 Nov 12 2:54pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

robynlyndon1 wrote:

Hi Jamie

Thanks for the potato salad will try it this weekend so I am ready for my daughters 40th birthday.

Could you let me know what the secret is to making mayonnaise as I seem to follow the directions but I always make a mess of it - my mayonaise always taste to oily is it because I am adding to quickly - I do buy Italian virgin olive oil is there any other oil I should use - can it be made in my food processor which is a magi mix - I also have Kitchen Aid blender as well but would like to know the secret - I will try again tomorrow making it again - but if you could let know how to make it!!

Chgeers
Robyn big_smile  clap

I make mine by hand, but I always add small amounts of oil at at time and make sure it's fully incorporated before I add more......I use canola oil, but some of the regular forumers here use olive oil.

Likes (0)

#458 Sat 03 Nov 12 3:10pm

robynlyndon1

Member since Sun 24 Jun 12

Thanks again for your quick reply very much appreciated!!

I tried twice the other night first in the food processor but it all went runny as I added the oil too fast so then I mixed it by hand as I remember it was 1 egg to 250ml oil and I used macadamia oil hoping it would taste nicer and  did as you said a little bit at a time and it was lovely and thick but I could still taste the oily taste - I added lemon juice as well which helped a little bit but on several occasions i have made it with olive oil and it still has the oily taste, so is this how it does taste, anyway I will try tomorrow again making it with canola oil as I have not tried that oil as yet - I use very expensive virgin oil made in Italy when doing my salads or things like this.
Cheers
Robyn
PS I might try in the food processor or would the blender do?  as my arm hurts too much when I am mixing it as it seems to take me awhile to add it as I am doing it so slowly big_smile  neutral

Likes (0)

#459 Sat 03 Nov 12 3:23pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Is it maybe you are just not use to the 'home made" taste as opposed to the jar stuff?

Likes (0)

#460 Mon 05 Nov 12 11:59pm

pattymellado

Occupation Medico
From Santiago de Chile
Member since Mon 05 Nov 12

Quiero darte las gracias por compartir lo que sabes, me has dado una nueva vision de la comida y de como cocinar, ademas tus libros y programas se han convertido en un punto de encuentro importantisimo entre mi marido y yo lo cual nos hacia mucha falta. Ahora cocinamos juntos tus recetas , comemos rico y sano. Eternamente agradecida desde Santiago de Chile y espero alguna vez tus viajes te traigan a conocer esta maravillosa  tierra del fin del mundo, estas cordialmente invitado a nuestro hogar.
Patricia Mellado R.

Last edited by pattymellado (Tue 06 Nov 12 12:12am)

Likes (0)