Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 13 Nov 12 9:24am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Re: Take 4 good sized potatoes ......

Take four good sized potatoes. Scrub clean and prick all over with a fork. Bake in the oven at around 200 degC for around 1.5 hours or until the insides are soft and the skin is crisp. Allow to cool slightly then half the potatoes lengthwise and scoop out as much of the white potato as possible without breaking the skin. Mash the potato in a bowl with a little milk, butter, salt and pepper.

Then add whatever takes your fancy and re-mash. Return the potato to the skins and re-heat under a hot grill until brown.

Please eat the skin, it's the best bit.

(I usually add grated red cheese, a little tomato puree, chopped onion and minced garlic as a basic filling).

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 13 Nov 12 9:28am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired

beerforyorky wrote:

(I usually add grated red cheese, a little tomato puree, chopped onion and minced garlic as a basic filling).

If anyone has other alternative or additional ideas for filling, I would be pleased to try it. This "dish" tends to constitute my staple diet here (behind curry, of course).

Cheers

Y

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 14 Nov 12 12:29am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

The filling we had first was finely sliced celery, grated carrot and cheese.
These days I use a lot of freshly chopped herbs, especially spring onions and chives, and garlic.
I have used roasted capsicum (sweet peppers) and chopped olives. And cheese
wink .

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 14 Nov 12 9:39am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired

I have been thinking about flaked fish but I'm not sure. A white sea fish maybe. I think tuna may be a bit too strong tasting. We don't have a great variety here.

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 14 Nov 12 1:21pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Onion & cheese is my favorite, chives are great mixed in.

Broccoli & cheese, bacon & cheese, chicken diced with broccoli with a sponful of cream before serving  yummy

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 14 Nov 12 1:26pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

beerforyorky wrote:

I have been thinking about flaked fish but I'm not sure. A white sea fish maybe. I think tuna may be a bit too strong tasting. We don't have a great variety here.

Try salted cod (bakalao).  Desalt for 24hrs of course.  Sweat some leeks with olive oil or butter, no salt.  Then place the desalted cod on top of the leeks and cover.  Let it steam until it is cooked all the way through.  Flake and mix with the leeks.  The sweet leeks, salty fish and potatoes is a combination made in heaven.

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 14 Nov 12 4:20pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Take four potatoes. Clean if necessary. I don't peel.

Turn oven to 220C. Put in a heavy baking dish to pre-heat.

Halve potatoes lengthwise.

Either steam or microwave (what I do as I'm bone lazy) until par-done.

Let steam dry.

Meanwhile, mix chopped fresh rosemary with crushed garlic to taste and salt and pepper. Set aside.

Dry off potatoes on kitchen paper. Add to pre-heated baking dish with a glug of olive oil.

Cook 15-20 mins. Depends on spuds.

Take out and gently smash/flatten spuds with a potato masher or similar.

Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with herb, garlic and seasoning mix.

Return to oven and cook a further 15-20 mins.

Drain on paper towel without losing the yummy crunchy bits or the herb and garlic mix.

Enjoy with a roast.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#18 Thu 15 Nov 12 12:43am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

beerforyorky wrote:

beerforyorky wrote:

If anyone has other alternative or additional ideas for filling, I would be pleased to try it. This "dish" tends to constitute my staple diet here (behind curry, of course).

Cheers

Y

If you like fish..........try mashing a smoked mackeral fillet in, with a knob of butter & add a tsp or so of hot horseradish.

Likes (0)

#19 Thu 15 Nov 12 12:54am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Take 4 good size spuds.........peel them, very thinly slice them, rinse them & pat them dry....

...& into a buttered shallow dish place cubes of white fish, very finely chopped onion/celery/carrot, 1 very thinly sliced leek & a finely chopped red chilli & a rasher or so of mildly smoked back bacon, season (don't over season as the bacon is salty)....add single cream

.... top with the sliced potatoes & dot with butter.

When this is cooked in a hot oven so that the potatoes brown & crisp a little...it is delish. The trick is to chop veg small so they cook quickly.

Likes (0)

#20 Thu 15 Nov 12 3:00am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Sounds delish, Minnie thumbsup

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)