Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 14 Nov 12 9:17am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Re: The Art of Good Health and Well Being

I often think of it, my baker's shop is a well being centre: there are two ladies vending, the owner and wife of the baker and a girl, people come sometimes all at one time and while waiting recipes are shared as well as sorrows and joys, I do not know how tired or angry or sad the girls are while slicing ham or pancetta, waiting to know which panino or ciabatta they must add to the usual weigh of bread each one they know, wants in their paper bag that day, but the stress and weigh of listening and digesting people's problems or the happiness of being happy with good news or jokes is shared and mixed up among many of us and equally diluted so that everyone goes away with a bit of this and that .......... and his good bread of course wink , it's only a little shop in a little village but it makes a difference for many

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Wed 14 Nov 12 9:18am)

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 14 Nov 12 9:25am

Sandy

Forum champ
From Durban South Africa
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

What a great video Danny, well done to you for the wonderful work you do with them.  Good luck with the conference and I'm sure you will be an inspriation to so many people.  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 14 Nov 12 5:09pm

Danny

Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Thanks everyone for contributing and also for viewing my film - you may understand now why I have made it my life's mission to tell as many people as I can about San Patrignano and to promote the great work that they are doing : )

Likes (0)

#14 Thu 15 Nov 12 8:51am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

still thinking about the fact that these ragazzi feel well if they are occupied with ordinary jobs and work that has to do with growing, cooking, baking, producing real things, the other face of the medal is that they need(ed) something that helped them to live in a sort of irreale world.
Like in mines there were little birds that gave the alert when the air was not safe for men to stay down there, we should start thinking the malaise of young generations is an alert for us all, we are living more and more in a way which is not fit for human beings, for robots, maybe, but it will take centuries to cancel from our memory what is good and sound

good luck Danny for your conferenza and let us know wave

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 23 Nov 12 3:21pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

It must be terrible to feel that you have no-body to talk to , to feel so alone .

I said to someone recently .. Someone who knows that they will be left alone for much of the day is the not too distant future as their husband is terminally ill.

" you need never be lonely if you have the Internet "

I know this to be true , the community of this forum has developed into some close freindships , we might not have met each other in person but we know each other well , bought together initially by a common interest and through 'popping in and out ' of forum as we had a few minutes to spare, we check up on each other and can often tell if one of us is not as cheerful and happy as normal.
I think this is also true of other forums as well but here , I know I always have friends .

What I love about this forum is the way that ifthere is a problem with one of the forum members everyone rallies round as if they are in a close knit community    .
This was very apparent just a year or so ago when Marie was very ill , we came together as a unit to help raise money and support her in trying to get the treatment that might give her hope. In the end , that's what happened , she had the hope that she would get better , sadly she never did get better ,but she died knowing that we were all trying to help her .. a bunch of people whom she had never met but she knew well and that must be one of the greatest things about being part of a forum  like  this one  .

It is a strange thing really that a website that is primarily about food can bring people together , not just for freindships but also as a way of supporting each other .

I have just watched your film Danny , it was very moving and so inspiring . Yes I agree food is like a magic glue , it can bring people together and as we have seen at Fifteen and San Pat ' it can ge a real glue and give people a reason to come together .

Yesterday at the supper club when I asked one of the graduates who were cooking what they really considered to a valuable part of their training I got told " Life's lessons " . It wasn't what I had expected to hear but I was told that one of the greatest things that had been learned was the ability to believe in the self again , to do something worth while , to learn to work with and most importantly to support a team the they we part of .
But the biggest impression left with me was that as part of the team there was a feeling of satisfaction in achievement , of freindships and family , of doing something worthwhile and receiving the acknowledgement that this was happening from others .

I have been privelidged to see first hand how the training at Fifteen has literally ' turned lives around' . Given the young people involved a reason to fight back at any issues that they may have had in the past , given them a chance to get back on track.

Something as simple as sitting round a table and sharing a meal together having a chat is invaluable , it could even just be sitting at the table enjoying a cup of tea , it does not matter . It's always theraputic.

If I spot someone in need , I  often stop by that person who may be 'sleeping rough ' possibly through being homeless , maybe through illness or other reasons , I often stop by them and pass them something to eat . Often quickly bought from a shop near by. This is because I feel that it is better to pass them an item of food than it is to pop a few coins into a little pot that is by them. I always get a smile and often a word of thanks.
I don't feel like I am doing anything special , I just think if we all thoughts little then a big difference could be made.

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 23 Nov 12 3:21pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Oh dear ..  I do waffle on !  oops

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 23 Nov 12 6:01pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

wink  thumbsup I was thinking to bump or what was it ?
m
to bring this post in prima fila and you did it brava mummzzzzz smile

Likes (0)

#18 Sat 24 Nov 12 12:52am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#19 Sat 24 Nov 12 2:19pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Those are good points mummza!

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 27 Nov 12 2:11am

Danny

Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Thank you everyone for your comments. I am in Fremantle now attending the conference. I will let everyone know here at the conference about this conference thread so that they may want to contribute as well.... It's nice to be home... : )

Likes (0)