Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 14 Nov 12 1:45pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Low carbing with a pasta lover in the house!

I've noticed that many on this forum live a low-carb no-sugar lifestyle.  I too am trying to limit refined sugars and wheat in an attempt to get healthier and lose weight.  Here's the problem, my husband LOVES pasta and is used to having it twice a week.  He is perfectly healthy, doesn't eat sweets, doesn't drink sodas and is very strong and lean.  So what do I do?  I don't want to deprive him of his favorite foods but I also can't eat the way that he does without gaining any weight.

Life is not fair!!

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 14 Nov 12 8:05pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Low carbing with a pasta lover in the house!

DeBoles makes delicious dry pasta with Jerusalem artichokes, but it does contain some wheat.  I use a lot of quinoa pasta, but it's still got a certain carb factor, although a good protein source and satisfying in small portions.

There are low GI factor wheat pastas . . . you'd have to read up and decide if they're right for you.

I've tried spaghetti squash and to me it tastes too much like squash to fool me into thinking I'm eating spaghetti, but it looks stringy and perhaps is much better in the carb and calorie count.

For really reducing, I think for me avoiding pasta is good because having it gives me every reason to load on the cheese!

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 15 Nov 12 9:13am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

If I'm substituting for spaghetti or tagliatelle, I peel a courgette/zucchini into strips and fry it in butter or ghee as a substitute - works very well.  Steamed white cabbage is good instead of lasagne sheets, too.  Otherwise, I just give my husband and children gluten-free pasta from time to time.  I have, however, really cut down on doing that and my husband (who was always a real "carb addict") has noticed that he feels hugely better than he did beforehand, and now really doesn't miss it.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 15 Nov 12 1:19pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

Hi thanks for the advice, but I'm not looking for a substitute for pasta.... nothing can replace golden pasta for me - not a rice noodle, not a squash, not a quinoa (blaaghh!)  And considering that my husband is at his optimal health (his doctors are always very pleased with him and even our dentist commends him on his impeccable hygiene) I wouldn't dream of depriving him of pasta.  I have to just learn to be around my favorite foods and not eat them.

Which leads me back to LIFE IS NOT FAIR!!  I mean seriously, how do Italians go around eating pasta every day and still fit into stylish clothes?  I definitely feel better when I'm sugar-free and keeping my carbs low but they are so enticing and addictive.  It's almost not even a meal without them.  Sorry for my rant and lamenting.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 15 Nov 12 1:29pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Quinoa pasta has the texture and taste of wheat pasta to such a degree, if someone served it without telling you, you would probably assume it was wheat.

Our friends in Italy were all on strict diet one year to reduce weight and the diet consisted of cappuccino for breakfast, plain pasta with nothing on it except olive oil for lunch, salad and any protein (fish, chicken, meat) for dinner.

Last edited by MsPablo (Thu 15 Nov 12 1:34pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 15 Nov 12 7:33pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

I totally get where you're coming from Koukouvagia - I found it quite difficult at first, too.  But there came a time when I couldn't cope any more, and had a portion of pasta (which used to be a firm favourite), and found it to be really not very nice at all any more for my tastes ... So, if you can hold out for a while, then give it a try, you might find that it's not as good as you remembered, which will make it easier to resist!

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 15 Nov 12 8:56pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

Thanks Olivia, I'm trying to get to that other side I really am.  There comes a time when you have to be a grown up and realize that you can't eat what other people are eating, and that they probably shouldn't be eating it either lol.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 15 Nov 12 8:56pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

MsPablo wrote:

Quinoa pasta has the texture and taste of wheat pasta to such a degree, if someone served it without telling you, you would probably assume it was wheat.

Our friends in Italy were all on strict diet one year to reduce weight and the diet consisted of cappuccino for breakfast, plain pasta with nothing on it except olive oil for lunch, salad and any protein (fish, chicken, meat) for dinner.

It tastes like regular barilla pasta, are you sure?  Or does it taste like whole wheat pasta?

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 16 Nov 12 1:45pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

It tastes like regular pasta, not whole wheat.  But, there is no real reason to eat something you don't want as there are endless ways to get nutrition . . . but quinoa happens to be very high in protein.

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 17 Nov 12 1:22pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

MsPablo wrote:

It tastes like regular pasta, not whole wheat.  But, there is no real reason to eat something you don't want as there are endless ways to get nutrition . . . but quinoa happens to be very high in protein.

Yea, apparently it's the only grain that provides a complete protein which is amazing.  However, the little tiny pellets of quinoa don't taste bad, I just hate the texture.

Likes (0)