#491 Sat 17 Nov 12 10:38pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Ask me a cooking question

welcome to the forum jennyrozycki  smile

Goodness what a nightmare for you , helping a little one through the issues that come with autism isnt easy at all and then on top of that you have all these dietry issues that you also have to deal with .
I used to help children with autism in a primary school and so I do know that all autistic children are very different and all have very indervidual needs .
Have you been in touch with your local autistic society branch ? I know that the meetings that they organise can be very helpful .
I am mentionng this as theree may be someone else at the society that can help you a bit with diet as they might be going through similar issuse.

from what I can see by your post.. your little boy

* can  eat potato starch , rice flour  ....but has to avoid all Gluten

*can use coconut milk,almond milk, almond butter etc ... but has to avoid casein .... (Does this mean he has to be cmpleetly dairy free ? I think it does but I am not sure )

*can only eat one piece of fruit a day  ...and he has to avoid sugars

*he has to avoid soya ,apples,raisins,cant eat refined carbs but can eat oily fish .

Have I understood this OK ? 

Can he eat eggs ?... I know that some children that suffer multipe allergies also have an egg allergy .

I hope that you dont mind me asking , but was the allergy testing done at the hospital ?

There are a couple of threads that might help you and the forum has several members that are gluten free.
One of the forum members that might be helpful to you is Oliviascotland, I know that in her recipe section in the foodwise part of this site she has posted varios gluten free recipes and has worked out how to make decent gluten free bread rolls.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/memb … Rolls/2122

this is a gluten free thread here on the forum that also might have some recipes or information in it that might be helpful
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28081

Jenny , could you give us a list of foods that your little boy likes to eat and that way it will be easier for the forum members to help you .
I am sure there will be forum members that will come up wth recipes that will be suitable.
Please do keep calling in the forum and join in the varios thread as I think that as time goes o this might be a useful place for you to get ideas or to bounce ideas off other people.

The forum has been fairly quiet recently and to draw this to other forum members attention I have started this thread, do kee checking it to see is anything has been written on it , it may take a while to get some recipes together but I am sure that there will be a few recipes posted in time.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 44#p688544
if you subscribe to the thread yu will get email alerts when someoe writes on it.
meanhile of you could g to the thread and write a few lists of what your little son likes to eat , what he can eat and what he really dislikes then it might be helpful .
thumbsup

Last edited by mummza (Sat 17 Nov 12 10:50pm)

Likes (0)

#492 Sat 17 Nov 12 11:13pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

aliegarr wrote:

Hi Jamie and his Team

When using yoghurt, creme fraiche, cream or fromage frias in cooking, how do you know which is the best one to use, but also how so you stop it splitting or curdling?

Many thanks
Ali kiss xx

I use them all when cooking, depending the recipes. Fromage frais i use mainly for sweet dishes, fat free it is seldom used to cook with.

Somewhere on this post i answered a person for the same splitting/curdling cream problem...
Heat the cream slowly apart, never add it to a hot mixture when its cool. It has to be slowly heated until it reaches the same temperature of the dish you want to add it to, otherwise it will split.

This post will help also: http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=56820

Last edited by Kye (Sat 17 Nov 12 11:13pm)

Likes (0)

#493 Sun 18 Nov 12 5:07pm

JustJoUSA

Member since Sun 18 Nov 12

Hi Jamie I am hoping you can help me out with an old recipe book of my Nanna's that i am trying to re-write so that they dont all get lost! In many of her recipies that call to make pastry from scratch, she talks about rolling out then - 'butter 3 times' then put into fridge to rest.  im confused and cant seem to find anyone who knows what she means by 'butter 3 times' Can you help me out??

cheers
Jo

Likes (0)

#494 Sun 18 Nov 12 5:16pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Hi Jo, I'm not Jamie but I'm guessing your Nanna's recipe is for the multi-layered butter pastry as used when making croissants etc.

Roll it out. Butter, turn, knead more butter turn ... Rest in the fridge ...

I tried it once. The croissants were delicious. Decided life was too short ...

Hope, that helps a little.

Agree, really important to hang on to our family's heritage via recipes and cooking.

Welcome to the forums : wave:

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#495 Sun 18 Nov 12 7:24pm

JustJoUSA

Member since Sun 18 Nov 12

Thanks Maree - what do you mean by - butter then turn? - is it just add in the butter??  The recipe was for pastry for pasties, and meat  pies - so is a shortcrust pastry - not really croissants though - but it was really flaky and of course delicious! The recipe throws everything in, then roll to a dough, then butter three times, then stand in fridge...
Thanks for your help!!

Likes (0)

#496 Sun 18 Nov 12 11:17pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

welcome to he forum JustJo USA  smile

sounds like what you are looking for is the method for puff pastry. it might help you to look up how this is donne on you tube as its easier to see tha explain... but I will have a go.

The basic dough is made, rolled and then spread with butter , this gets then folded into 3 .
to turn the dough , as you have the pastry , think of the space as like a clock face and just give it a 1/4 turn .
Roll it out again and repeat with the butter , folding and turning.

tip is when you spread  the butter on the pastry and fold it press it from the center towards eac end and that way it retains its shape better.
Chill it in the fridge to keep he butter firm and to help prevent the pastry dough shrinking when it is cooked.

I have recently seen a baker if he telly have the butter very cols and then flatten it by hitting it with a rolling pin before placing it on the rolled dough , folding the pasrty into 3 , wrapping it and chilling it before repeating the rolling process 3 times.

Likes (0)

#497 Sun 18 Nov 12 11:30pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

The folding in three is like folding a piece of paper into three: eg as if you are folding a letter to put into a long envelope (are you old enough to remember letters? whistle )
Here is a short youtube clip that shows http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQLcwlQ7_L8 see at 1:15 for the folding smile

Likes (0)

#498 Sun 18 Nov 12 11:50pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

mummza wrote:

welcome to he forum JustJo USA  smile

sounds like what you are looking for is the method for puff pastry. it might help you to look up how this is donne on you tube as its easier to see tha explain... but I will have a go.

The basic dough is made, rolled and then spread with butter , this gets then folded into 3 .
to turn the dough , as you have the pastry , think of the space as like a clock face and just give it a 1/4 turn .
Roll it out again and repeat with the butter , folding and turning.

tip is when you spread  the butter on the pastry and fold it press it from the center towards eac end and that way it retains its shape better.
Chill it in the fridge to keep he butter firm and to help prevent the pastry dough shrinking when it is cooked.

I have recently seen a baker if he telly have the butter very cols and then flatten it by hitting it with a rolling pin before placing it on the rolled dough , folding the pasrty into 3 , wrapping it and chilling it before repeating the rolling process 3 times.

For my puff pastry  wink that i learnt from a Grand Father baker...
three time buttered means that it is worked three times and chilled, scattered with butter and roughly mixed first time (there should be small lumps of butter in the mixture). Make a well in the centre, add 180ml iced water and combine.
Then use your fist to work the dough together, wrap in plastic wrap and leave to rest in the fridge until firm.
Roll out, bring ends in to meet then fold as a book, wrap again in plastic, cool and repeat...

= 3 timed buttered and battered   smile

Likes (0)

#499 Mon 19 Nov 12 2:22am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Thanks, Mummza, Joy and Kye. You explained it much better than I did: thumbsup:

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#500 Mon 19 Nov 12 11:28pm