forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Sat 27 Oct 12 1:38am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Re: Diabetes Advice

I probably should edit my last post but...

Another site that I thought was interesting...
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

Type "diabetes" (or whatever ailment) in the search at the top right.

Remember that it's not "Dr." recommended roll

Likes (0)

#32 Sat 27 Oct 12 2:12am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

TerryKay wrote:

So much sound advice. I'm quite touched folks.
My weight is down, I'm feeling fitter, my eyesight is focusing as close as a foot away now (was a strain at 1.5 metres before), blood sugar, is down from 25+ to around 6-7. Still not inspired by food unless its kick a** spicy, but I'm sneaking all kinds of good healthy food (even veg) under my radar in my chilli and stews. I still have one beer per day (My hobby and passion) but drink a bit of the bottle in the beer review, a bit later with dinner and a bit in front of the TV for chilling. Spread out and with my meds it's not spiking my sugars. Got a handy GI & GL listings book that I take shopping with me.
Things are looking up.
Just need to get a bit more inspiration with good recipes. I'm surprised Jamie doesn't do a diabetic food series. There are more people with diabetes than you'd imagine. Yeah we are in the unfortunate position of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, but nobody is doing good diabetic cooking.
Come on Jamie.

Interesting to read this. because I had been thinking on different lines. At the same time my sympathy was going out to you because of your diagnosis, part of my brain was thinking "How long will it be before Terry has a website up with the best, most delicious, diabetes friendly, recipes?"

You would be the perfect person to do it Terry because your website reflects your love of life and love of good beer and you would bring the same wonderfulness to a recipe website. Just give yourself time to get a handle on the food!

BTW My pet project is this: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~yamdaisy/ a franchise of cafes providing delicious, healthy, affordable food, including meals suitable for diabetics. As part of this project I have a facebook page 'Comfort Food' where I link the sorts of delicious comforting meals the YamDaisy Cafe would provide. You might like to check what is there as many of them would be diabetes friendly. cool

Likes (0)

#33 Sun 28 Oct 12 5:12am

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

Pakman wrote:

This is really interesting. A doctor's lecture from 1993. It's really worth a watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNCGkprG … re=related

Do you have high BP as well? I did and BS was 6.5 - 7.5. Doctor didn't want to call me diabetic being just a little over so we watched it. When she put me on some more BP meds that's when I started to say that the bad food has to go. I didn't want to take mads for the rest of my life. I also am entertaining the idea of seeing my son's wedding and maybe some grand kids. Being almost fifty and with a 4 year old the math it's like 25 years for a wedding 30 years for grand kids.

Anyway, I did a water/juice cleanse for about a week then added smoothies, salads, fruits and nuts. It made it much easier to deal with making the right choices in the store. Now I eat a little salmon/fish and chicken every once in awhile. But no processed grain products, no rice, might taste a potato here and there and same with cheese.....cheeeeesssseeee  dribble.

I have to say that shopping is so easy! Most of the time is spent in the produce section and check outline. There is the walk down the center isle looking down each lane saying "hmmm......don't need that crap...or that....nope..." then on to the frozen food for some peas and berries. Anyway, you get the idea.

My "diet" (hate that word actually) is fruit smoothies for breakfast (with chia, Flax and hemp seed powder), fruit/nut/ snack. Cold veg soup (some might call it a green smoothie), salad, fruit snack. Dinner is where I add the warm food sometimes.
Notice though that there is no "pill" breaks  wink . Doc says what ever your doing keep it up.

Massively high BP too. I went upto nearly 27 stone. Down to 23st3lb and dropping. BP is dropping too. High cholesterol blood so told I have a 'fatty' liver (surely that's not a PC term). I asked doc if I could have a second opinion and he said I'm ugly too. big_smile Getting my teeth into this now though. It had me holding my gloves over my head in the corner at one point, but I've come back out of the corner fighting. I'm gonna bite its bloody ears off. angry

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#34 Sun 28 Oct 12 5:23am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

Pakman wrote:

I have to say that shopping is so easy! Most of the time is spent in the produce section and check outline. There is the walk down the center isle looking down each lane saying "hmmm......don't need that crap...or that....nope..." then on to the frozen food for some peas and berries. Anyway, you get the idea..

I spend much of my time moaning and mumbling like a tramp. "Can't have, can't have, can't have" I am finding some gems though. (Adore radish) tongue  yummy  dribble

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#35 Sun 28 Oct 12 5:50am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

TerryKay wrote:

So much sound advice. I'm quite touched folks.
My weight is down, I'm feeling fitter, my eyesight is focusing as close as a foot away now (was a strain at 1.5 metres before), blood sugar, is down from 25+ to around 6-7. Still not inspired by food unless its kick a** spicy, but I'm sneaking all kinds of good healthy food (even veg) under my radar in my chilli and stews. I still have one beer per day (My hobby and passion) but drink a bit of the bottle in the beer review, a bit later with dinner and a bit in front of the TV for chilling. Spread out and with my meds it's not spiking my sugars. Got a handy GI & GL listings book that I take shopping with me.
Things are looking up.
Just need to get a bit more inspiration with good recipes. I'm surprised Jamie doesn't do a diabetic food series. There are more people with diabetes than you'd imagine. Yeah we are in the unfortunate position of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, but nobody is doing good diabetic cooking.
Come on Jamie.

Interesting to read this. because I had been thinking on different lines. At the same time my sympathy was going out to you because of your diagnosis, part of my brain was thinking "How long will it be before Terry has a website up with the best, most delicious, diabetes friendly, recipes?"

You would be the perfect person to do it Terry because your website reflects your love of life and love of good beer and you would bring the same wonderfulness to a recipe website. Just give yourself time to get a handle on the food!

BTW My pet project is this: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~yamdaisy/ a franchise of cafes providing delicious, healthy, affordable food, including meals suitable for diabetics. As part of this project I have a facebook page 'Comfort Food' where I link the sorts of delicious comforting meals the YamDaisy Cafe would provide. You might like to check what is there as many of them would be diabetes friendly. cool

I don't have the cooking skills (that can be fixed). I do think the diabetes and low cholesterol diet world seems to be under the plastic jack boot of carrot munchers. (Just teasing  big_smile  kiss )
For a hairy backed cave dweller like me though, it is a stark and scary contrast to the world I'm used to. I am adjusting though. I sneak tons of beans, spinach, broccolli etc into everything I cook and am actually starting to enjoy them. Red meat, with the exception of the occasional bit of lean pork, has gone bye bye. Fish is finding a place but that is still a bit of a fight. Natural ingredients, herbs and spices means no salt needed. My coffee intake is also down to the odd occasional one instead of 10 or more ristretto strong zingers. I'd love to see Jamie put his magic to something like this though.
Cheers honey. thumbsup

Edit extra
I have a Birthday coming soon so am looking for restaurant with imaginative diabetic recipes. Eating out is no longer quite the care free joy it once was. angry

Last edited by TerryKay (Sun 28 Oct 12 5:53am)

Likes (0)

#36 Sun 28 Oct 12 10:51pm

hguk

Member since Thu 12 Jul 12

Still do not know what effect miracle berries have on diabetes, but if you want spicy food wow! have just tried the miracle berry in tablet form, yes lemons taste sweet, yes cheese tastes really creamy, yes sugar isn't needed in coffee, BUT THEN WE TRIED A CHILLI, IT WAS A MEDIUM HOT CAYENNE VARIETY THAT TASTED VOLCANIC, AM SCARED TO DEATH TO TRY A CURRY.

Likes (0)

#37 Fri 02 Nov 12 10:44pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

TerryKay wrote:

I spend much of my time moaning and mumbling like a tramp. "Can't have, can't have, can't have" I am finding some gems though. (Adore radish) tongue  yummy  dribble

Glad to here your fighting it. I still droll over stuff  dribble
Just last weekend I treated myself to a few beers and went to the store with the intent of buying a piece of pizza or a meat/veg filled pastry. Got there and looked at them and surprising enough they didn't look appetizing at all! Smell was nice but..meh....I walked out of the store with some raw nuts and organic veg.  yikes

This site is nice for seeing the extensive nutritional value of foods. If you sign up you can track foods. So you can make a daily menu and see the nutritional values combined.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/

These are interesting vids as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp7Wdxvo … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ybiFwHlWM0

Likes (0)

#38 Fri 02 Nov 12 10:53pm

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

thumbsup No, Terry, it's not 'can't have'....more like 'in moderation'. 

Oranges 'in moderation' because they create blood-sugar spikes.
Carbs 'in moderation' because carbs can equal sugar.

Likes (0)

#39 Mon 19 Nov 12 8:15am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

Got sugars down now, and thanks to lots of sound advice (cheers all) and books and internet research, I'm actually feeling healthier than I've felt since the car crash. Gonna start cycling again soon. Gotta get kitted out with BP and heart rate stuff, plus see doc regarding my nutrition needs for exercise. Been doing gentle stuff indoors. My lack of sugar spikes seems to have given me more energy rather than walking around feeling like I had an empty battery.
On a down side, all the beans and vegetables I've been eating means I now fart like a mountain gorilla. oops

Likes (0)

#40 Mon 19 Nov 12 10:53am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
Occupation Farmer
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

Hi Terry! It sounds like you are on the right 'track' with your research & kind advice from fellow Forumers & Medical assistance, too! thumbsup
I get confused with Diabetes I & II??, so, sorry I'm not much help. I love your humour ( lol wink )  tho, while you get used to all the changes with your 'diet' & I hope you eventually start cycling again, too! crossed
All the Best!  smile

Last edited by Kiwi Kris (Mon 19 Nov 12 10:55am)

Likes (0)