forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 29 Mar 07 1:41pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

REC: Baked risotto with asparagus, spinach, Parmesan (and prawns)

I found it!

I tab olive oil

1 cup finely chopped onion

1 cup uncooked Arborio rice

I/2 cup very finely chopped celery

2-4 fine chopped cloves garlic

8 cups (yes) spinach leaves

*2 cups chicken stock (may need extra 1/2 cup but, remember, the spinach will give off lots (!!!) Of liquid

1/4 teas salt

1/4 teas ground nutmeg

1/2 cup grated Parmesan, divided

1 1/2 cup (1") diag sliced asparagus

500g peeled (tail on) green (raw) prawns, deveined

Finely chopped Italian parsley

///

1) Preheat oven to 400C

2) Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion, celery and garlic until tender. Add rice, stir well. Add spinach, stock, salt and nutmeg.Bring to simmer, cook ~ 7mins. Take off heat. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese

3) Cover and bake for 15 mins. Stir in asparagus and prawns). Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of Parmesan

4)Cover and bake an extra 15 mins or until liquid is almost absorbed.Sprinkle with parsley.

Serves 4 generously.

Can be used as a basis for other baked risotto. Just keep an eye on the liquid to rice ratio.

Mangia!

Last edited by Maree-in-Sydney (Thu 29 Mar 07 2:35pm)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#2 Sun 18 Nov 12 4:09pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: REC: Baked risotto with asparagus, spinach, Parmesan (and prawns)

Yes this realy was a post from 2007 !
Ive just been looking back at old and unawnsered posts that are on the forum to see if there is anything interesting and I came across thes Maree's recipe for a baked risotto.
Looks like it might be interesting to make.but for me, I would leave out the prawns and use vegetable stock instead .

I have never cooked a risotto like this and was wondering if anyone else has tried a baked rissotto .

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 18 Nov 12 4:37pm

Maree

Forum champ

You just caught me as I was off to bed (late), Mummza. Bit chaotic here at the moment, work and study-wise.

We are oldies but goodies, eh wink. I posted that about two weeks after I became a member of JO's. How much has changed since then ...

Yes, you can leave out the prawns/shrimp.

Yes, of course, subs vegetable stock for chicken stock.

Being a Libran, am a bit overly careful with this in the oven, so I cover with tin foil and then the pot/casserole lid prior to baking to keep the moisture in.

In all honesty, can't remember when I last cooked a risotto the traditional way (ladling in and stirring for 20+ mins). Don't have time and my legs and back won't stand up to it.

I tend to use the pressure cooker these days but the oven method works a treat and served me well before I bought a (non-scary) pressure cooker.

As said in original 2007 (gulp) post, keep an eye on fluid to rice ratio and keep it well sealed (hence, al foil).

If put in watery veg ( eg tomatoes) might need to cut down stock. Play it by ear.

Too bad you're allergic to prawns. Is really nice. Maybe you could subs with some seafood that you may be able to eat.

Have also made this with the equivalent amount (500g) of salmon fillet, with chicken tenderloins and with sliced chicken breast- can use finely sliced/chopped thighs but they will need more cooking time.

Let me know how you go crossed

Last edited by Maree (Sun 18 Nov 12 6:44pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 18 Nov 12 6:45pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

no seafood at all for me Maree , but the asparagas and spinach sounds fine to me.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 18 Nov 12 7:01pm

Maree

Forum champ

Yes, that's what I'll be having tonight, I guess.

The chicken works well as a seafood substitute.

Make this your own and "own" it wave

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 19 Nov 12 1:10pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Oh yes I make a baked riced dish using left over bolognese sauce.  In an oven proof deep casserole dish I sautee some chopped green bell peppers and rice.  Then I add the bolognese and stir through along with lots and lots of grated parmesan.  Add enough liquid (water but you could use stock too I guess) to cook the rice.  Cover and bake until the rice cooks through.  I check it often to make sure there is enough liquid.  At the end if there is too much liquid I take the cover off and let it get golden and crispy on top.

Likes (0)