Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 14 Nov 12 1:01pm

foodartist

Member since Tue 13 Nov 12

Wheat Free Lasagne Recipe

Hi - i have come up with a recipe for those who cannot eat egg pasta by still desire a lasagne!!

Ingredients:
'Free from' lasagne sheets (made from rice not egg pasta)
Large tablespoon of spelt flour
1/4 carton of large rice milk
1/2 butternut squash
1/2 large packet strong cheddar cheese
parmesan to taste
1 pack of quality lean mince beef
clove garlic
herbs: rosemary, mint, fennel tops,bay leaf, thyme
1/2 sweet white onion
1 carrot (large) & 2 courgettes
black pepper
sea salt (1 large pinch)
jar of Jamies tomato sauce with garlic and chilli
light olive oil
1 vegetable stock cube (low salt)
1/2 tube tomato puree
Fry off the chopped onion until golden brown over a low heat.Then reserve. Fry off the beef until browned - do not rush this as browning the meat adds flavour to the dish. Then add the onion back in,add the chopped herbs(less is more, beware of adding too much of the strong flavoured ones, do not chop the bay leaf!!Add carrot 7 courgettes chopped small,salt,pepper,minced garlic, jar of tomato sauce and tomato puree.
Make a  cheese sauce using the normal method, but use the spelt flour and rice milk rather than normal flour and milk. Add cheddar when sauce thickening (will not be as thick as a normal sauce). Slice squash thinly, add to a wok with vege stock and cook until partly soft.
Assemble dish. Wipe lasagne dish with garlic, layer rice lasagne sheets alternatively with the meat sauce and cheese sauce, go steady on the cheese sauce as you will need some for the top layer. You can also sprinkle layers of parmesan in bewtween the layers. If you love chilli, add some chopped scotch bonnet as you layer.I also layer the squash inbetween layers. Finish the top layer with the cheese sauce, place squash pieces on top also, sprinkle with more parmesan and arrange small tomatoes on the vine on top.

Let this stand for 20 mins to soak up the juices.
Cook for 1hour on gas mark 6 . This will provide 8 portions if serving with a mixed salad, try a simple tossed salad of baby cos, chopped mint leaves and juicy peach quarters.

The main dish can be re-warmed the next day , cover with foil and heat for about 45 mins on gas mark 5 - cover with foil firt though

foodartist
CinnabarAndSienna Art ,Etsy

clap  wink  smile

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 14 Nov 12 5:20pm

Gravy Queen

Occupation Being Fabulous
From Liverpool
Member since Sun 10 Oct 04

Re: Wheat Free Lasagne Recipe

Spelt flour is not wheat free . Doves Farm do make wheat and gluten free flours which could be used .

Any ready made sauce from a jar or packet must be checked as they are not all wheat free.

Not all stock cubes are wheat free so they must be checked first .

I have coeliac disease so cannot eat wheat , please when giving recipes do check that the products you are recommending are definitely wheat free.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 14 Nov 12 8:22pm

foodartist

Member since Tue 13 Nov 12

thanks for the reply  -  please amend to just use the meat sauce on its own and disregard this recipe as originally intended to make sure ok, omit stock cube/cheese sauce entirely, then no need to use flour/rice milk/stock cube. Using just the beef and veges then to just make a basic meat sauce. sorry for any confusion

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 19 Nov 12 1:17pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I just bought The Hairy Dieters' Cookbook, and it has a recipe for a lasagne using leek instead of pasta - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/skinn … agne_87277

It's a bit mad, but when I saw this thread I just thought I'd point it out. If the leek trick works it would be quite good for gluten-free diets, as gluten-free pasta can be expensive, whereas one leek costs pennies and will yield a lot of fake pasta sheets. Lasagne's meant to be a cheap dish, after all.

I should add that I haven't tried it myself. And note that the recipe is NOT wheat free, so you'd need to adapt it. It's just the leeks-for-pasta idea  that I think has potential.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 19 Nov 12 1:59pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

lol  I'd heard about the leek lasagna and want to try it, sounds great!  But, seriously you guys make me envious because leeks are so expensive here.  We usually pay $2.50 - $3. for one leek.  A box of gluten-free rice lasagna sheets is about the same price or less.  I don't mind paying an extra dollar or so for gluten-free pasta because it is usually whole grain and organic.  The products are very high quality and high in nutrition.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 19 Nov 12 2:07pm

hippytea

From Scotland

So what's cheap where you are, veg-wise?

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 19 Nov 12 9:54pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Cabbage, kale, mustard and collard greens . . . are relatively cheap, but not something I'd put in lasagna.

Whenever I have tried something like using spaghetti squash instead of pasta, it ruins the dish for me.  I like squash, but not in this way very much.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 19 Nov 12 11:14pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Cougettes sliced length way are a delicious replacement.

Last edited by Kye (Mon 19 Nov 12 11:15pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 21 Nov 12 7:21pm

hippytea

From Scotland

And eventually it gets to the point where you might as well make moussaka...

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 22 Nov 12 5:38pm

Gravy Queen

Occupation Being Fabulous
From Liverpool
Member since Sun 10 Oct 04

Gluten and wheat free lasagne isn't particularly expensive and readily available in UK supermarkets . As a coeliac I don't want to replace pasta with vegetables and indeed there is no need to .

I like the Hairy Bikers and I have their diet book, the leeks suggestion is a way to cut calories but I won't be trying it , doesn't appeal to me at all .

Likes (0)