forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 19 Nov 12 9:30pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Pulled pork

Just wanted to sing the praises of this wonderful dish, which I cooked for the first time the other day using this recipe:

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30356-easy- … ulled-pork

Wonderful wonderful stuff. And if I didn't already love my slow cooker, I would now.  yummy

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 20 Nov 12 8:51am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Pulled pork

Pulled pork seems to be popular at the moment , I went to the street party at Fifteen in early summer , quite a few of the street food vendors were selling pulled pork .
I am told its realy good to eat .

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 20 Nov 12 9:22am

Sandy

Forum champ
From Durban South Africa
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

Thanks for the link HT, I've always wanted to make pulled pork abd this recipe looks nice and easy.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 20 Nov 12 9:53am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

what I want to know is... how can the shoulder be called a butt !!!!
the recipe says.....

1 (4-1/2- to 5-pound) boneless or bone-in pork shoulder (also known as pork butt),

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 20 Nov 12 2:16pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Pulled pork is very popular here, a truly American dish.  My recipe is for North Carolina style pulled pork.

Make a rub using salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, thyme garlic powder and onion powder.  Rub all over the pork butt and place in a deep roasting dish and cover with foil. Roast it in the oven covered at 325F for about 6hrs.

Let it rest for at least 40min and then remove the bone and pull the pork.  Mix in the special sauce made with red wine vinegar, a big glob of yellow mustard and ceyenne pepper. 

Serve on a bun with plain cole slaw (mayo, vinegar, celery seed salt) and you've got yourself an american classic.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 21 Nov 12 11:13am

hippytea

From Scotland

I love coleslaw, but Mr. Hippytea hates cabbage and mayo! So I sliced up apples and mixed them with plain yoghurt and honey. Went really well with the pulled pork. It was (and is) fabulous stuff, we have a couple of boxes still left in the freezer for future enjoyment.

I should have said, with that Chow recipe, I doubled all the rub ingredients except the salt, and I'm glad I did - for my 6lb roast, there wouldn't have been enough if I had followed the recipe straight. I also rubbed the pork and left it overnight, just to save time in the morning.

Mega tasty. God bless America.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 21 Nov 12 12:19pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

mummza wrote:

what I want to know is... how can the shoulder be called a butt !!!!
the recipe says.....

1 (4-1/2- to 5-pound) boneless or bone-in pork shoulder (also known as pork butt),

only rarely will you see it labeled as butt  or boston butt here. More common is pork  shoulder or  blade roast . 

I have tried to find a definitive reason behind the name before with no real luck.

I can give you the oft repeated internet folklore .   

During revolutionary and civil war times , cheaper cuts of meat including pork were packed in casks or Butts for transport.  Pork shoulder roasts that were cut in a specific way in boston eventually became known as boston butt .

Slow cooker pulled pork is  pretty nice stuff but it really loses something by not having the bits of bark mixed in that come from slow smoking. 

For those that are thinking , " What is he going on about now?"

Bark is a bbq term that refers to the way the outside of the pork  with the rub forms a very flavourful crust.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#8 Wed 21 Nov 12 1:13pm

hippytea

From Scotland

You don't get that, no, but you do get a bit of a crust. It's not just wet on top.

Likes (0)