forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 21 Nov 12 5:11pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: What will you be cooking for Thankgiving ?

Slow cooker amazingly doesn't make the skin soggy - or rather, it does, but a quick burst in a hot  oven crisps it up beautifully. The time in the slow cooker renders the fat out from under the skin and sort of thins it down, meaning it crisps up really well. But make sure the oven is HOT, brush the skin with oil or butter and sprinkle salt on it.

If it helps, don't think of it as braising - its more like steaming. And when you consider that crispy duck is steamed for 2 hours before being crisped up (in hot oil in that case), it's not so weird after all.

And you can definitely do this in the oven. I never have, but I've seen recipes. Look up "overnight turkey", and check out Heston Blumenthal' Ultimate Roast Chicken recipe - http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/c … ken-recipe - timings are obviously different and he's completely anal about the details, but it's the same principle.

For anyone using a slow cooker, put something like a Teflon cooking mat into the slow cooker and sit the turkey on it. It needs to be big enough for all four corners to stick up above the turkey.  Then when you need to lift it out, get someone to help you  - grab all four corners and hoist it out. Otherwise you'll be bringing it out in pieces! A big bit of baking parchment might do, or doubled-up foil, but watch as foil might tear. Don't use silicone, the sides of the pot sometimes get hot enough to damage it (I speak from hard experience!)

Edit to add, you really need a meat thermometer for this. Slow cookers are not precision instruments.

Last edited by hippytea (Wed 21 Nov 12 5:14pm)

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 21 Nov 12 5:21pm

hippytea

From Scotland

Just to clarify further for MsPablo - you don't put any liquid in with the turkey. It will shed some juices, hence the stock, and hence why it falls apart if you're not careful, as the back will be immersed in juices and softens. But most of it is cooking in steam, so the skin won't swell and go soft like in soup, it will render and go thin. You could tear it if you stuck a fingernail in it, but it won't just slide off like skin off a poached chicken breast.

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 21 Nov 12 5:59pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Thanks HT! thumbsup

I'll plan to use large soup vegetables under the bird to lift most of it above the liquid.

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 21 Nov 12 6:56pm

hippytea

From Scotland

That should work well. This is a great way to cook chickens, too.

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 21 Nov 12 7:57pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

I bought a small turkey. I'm going to try a recipe I saw on line..turkey wrapped in bacon!
I will also have rice dressing, green beans and for dessert caramel apple tart.

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 21 Nov 12 10:50pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

cohphanta wrote:

I bought a small turkey. I'm going to try a recipe I saw on line..turkey wrapped in bacon!
I will also have rice dressing, green beans and for dessert caramel apple tart.

Bacon, yum. https://www.google.com/search?hl=en& … 0gHZ1oCADA

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 21 Nov 12 11:15pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

This is the one I found....can't wait to try it!!
http://food52.com/recipes/19452_bacon_b … neck_gravy

Likes (0)