forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 22 Nov 12 10:23am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Christmas Breakfast

No, just fried or grilled bacon and bread, usually white bread. Butter is optional. Some people put ketchup or brown sauce on it, but in my opinion that is WRONG  shocked

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 22 Nov 12 1:19pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Bacon AND butter?  Hmmm as much as I love both those ingredients I'm feeling a little queasy.  Here in the USA we make a BLT (bacon, lettuce & tomato) sandwich on white bread with mayonnaise.  It's awesome.

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 22 Nov 12 1:55pm

hippytea

From Scotland

Mayo's got nearly as much fat as butter, you know. 75%. Butter's about 80%. I was appalled when I found that out! But you're right, it doesn't *feel* greasy like melted butter does.

To be honest, I prefer my bacon on dry bread. It's got more than enough fat to lubricate the bread, and I find the grease-fest of a buttered bacon sandwich just a bit much. I dry-fry my bacon - if you grill it you may have more need of butter. Also, in the UK we normally get back bacon, whereas I believe in the US it's usually streaky (belly) bacon, which is fattier. A buttered bacon sandwich with streaky bacon would be too much for most people, I reckon.

Likes (0)

#14 Thu 22 Nov 12 1:58pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Buttered toast with crisp streaky bacon, lettuce. tomato, cheese = pure goodness!  Wish I had one right now!

Likes (0)

#15 Thu 22 Nov 12 3:25pm

mummy2704

Member since Wed 21 Nov 12

wildly organic: A bacon sandwhich is grilled or fried (not a lover of fried) bacon in two slices of bread butter with sauce of your liking. 

Hippytea: i was going to put all kinds of festive spice in the granola to give it that festive feel along with cranberries - so could seen a good receipe from Ina Garten - Barefoot Contessa so thought I would give it ago, looks yummy,  sometimes you just want something different.

Birdymum: The rule in my house is you have to get up mega early, I want my 6 year old to jump on my head to get me up, then get stuck into santa pressies, but when he is older no one can open pressies til they have a hot drink by there side hahaha.  I couldnt wait that long to see his face opening his pressies or anyother future children hehe.

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 22 Nov 12 4:26pm

mummy2704

Member since Wed 21 Nov 12

the only time I use streaky bacon is at christmas time on my turkey haha

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 23 Nov 12 11:14am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

This is a difficult question really as the budget only extends to a few pennies per child . 
Also there are numerous ethnic backgrounds and different diets to be considered so for that reason bacon would be out of the question.
And often the facilities available for providing these breakfasts are limited and very very basic..
At the moment most schools who have a breakfast club , as far as I know , give the children breakfast cereal ( unsweetened types ) and toast every day.

When I first came to Wales I notices that bakers shops sold a slightly larger version of 'scotch pancakes ' . Maybe this would be nice for the children for a special breakfast with some fruit as well . Many children happily eat yoghurt so a little dish of a yoghurt with something sprinkled on top .
And of course a satsuma  ( easier to perl than a clementine )
This would be way over budget but I think would appeal to most.
( but not sure it will fall within the strict guidelines given for school breakfasts !)

Last edited by mummza (Fri 23 Nov 12 5:23pm)

Likes (0)

#18 Fri 23 Nov 12 10:10pm

hippytea

From Scotland

How much scope do you have to make things? Because Scotch pancakes/drop scones (they're the same) are cheaper to make than to buy. Fruit's great but if the budget won't stretch, they make a great breakfast just served warm with butter, syrup or jam. Or honey - but honey's expensive too!

Likes (0)

#19 Sat 24 Nov 12 12:55am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

usually there is just a toaster Hippytea at the breakfast clubs in the schools locally as far as I know.
Breakfast clubs do not usually have much acess to the school kitchens for cooking .

Likes (0)

#20 Sat 24 Nov 12 9:49am

hippytea

From Scotland

So I suppose it depends if they could afford to buy the Scotch pancakes. They reheat well in a toaster (or a microwave).

Likes (0)