forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sat 24 Nov 12 1:58pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Vegetarian Book please

I think it's a great idea because he gets requests and concerns about his 'vegetarian' recipes often.  The concerns are always about whether some type of cheese is vegetarian.  I hope when they reprint some of the recipes, they correct that issue and write it as parmesan-style vegetarian cheese.  Otherwise, a lot of people will be tearing their hair out.

Likes (0)

#12 Sat 24 Nov 12 3:44pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I know! "Vegetarian Parmesan". A mythical beast. But I've seen that exact phrase used in books and magazines where they ought to know better!

"Vegetarian Italian hard cheese" maybe. Can Grana Padano be vegtarian, do you know? To be honest, if I'm cooking for vegetarians and the recipe calls for Parmesan, I just use extra-mature cheddar. I know it's not the same, but vegetarian cheddar is easy to get and I can't be bothered starting a wild-goose-chase for a better substitute.

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 24 Nov 12 4:01pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I was going to mention the 'Parmasan style cheese , suitable for vegetarians ' but I thought it would open a mine feild of issues again.
You can but vegetarian parmasan style cheese in Waitrose.

If you live in the UK then , as I understand from sittling in on a class at the Great British Cheese festival  , British cheese is made with vegetarian rennet .
It Animal rennet is still often used in continental cheese.

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 24 Nov 12 5:11pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Certainly the cheese round here is more often vegetarian than not.

Likes (0)