forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 12 Apr 09 4:02pm

jude64

Occupation Home Bod
From Durban South Africa
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

taleggio cheese

Hi I have a recipe which uses Taleggio cheese, what could I substitute for this cheese? It is to be grilled over chicken breast..
Thank You
Jude64 help

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 12 Apr 09 4:24pm

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

Re: taleggio cheese

i don't really like Taleggio so i'd use Fontina cheese...it has good melting qualities and is less pongy than Taleggio  mrgreen if it doesn't have to be an Italian cheese you could also use Gruyere, Gouda, Edam or Emmentaler  cheeses.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 12 Apr 09 5:23pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Allora Andiamo wrote:

i don't really like Taleggio

BLASPHEMER!!! lol  lol

jude if you aren't adverse to blue type cheeses try using a nice  soft Gorgonzola or even white stilton will give you a similar flavour profile ot the taleggio  although won't melt quite the same.

Last edited by Ashen (Sun 12 Apr 09 5:23pm)

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#4 Tue 14 Apr 09 1:44pm

jude64

Occupation Home Bod
From Durban South Africa
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Thank you for your suggestions, have never tried taleggio, I cant find it in my local stores, but I had some Swiss Raclette in the fridge which I used and was succesfull.
Much appreciated.
Jude64
  neutral

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 14 Apr 09 6:53pm

ACDC

Forum champ
Occupation Bewitched, bothered and bewildered Mother
From Ireland
Member since Tue 19 Aug 08

Allora!!!   shocked   They obviously don't stock the same type of taleggio there as here. I love Taleggio.

Last edited by ACDC (Tue 14 Apr 09 6:53pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 24 Nov 12 5:03pm

Funnygirl5

Member since Sat 24 Nov 12

Hi,

I'm from Australia and I've never seen taleggio cheese here either... I have a couple of places that I'm going to check but I'm probably going to need to substitute... Any suggestions on what to substitute in soup help (not blue/Stilton cheese though). puke

Thanks
Samantha   big_smile

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 24 Nov 12 5:24pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I love Edam as a melting cheese. More flavour than Emmenthal and less stringy than Mozzarella. Honestly, I love Mozzarella raw, but I have no clue how to eat it melted. I end up with one continuous string from my mouth to my stomach, like some kind of unpleasant medical procedure. puke

So I put Edam on pizza. I realise this is grounds for deportation if I ever go to Italy, but I'm willing to take the risk.

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 24 Nov 12 8:33pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

hippytea , do you use the Mozzarella that is is a block when you make a pizza ?
I mostly use the block mozzerella, its not so wet as the balls of mozzerella and is easy to chop into little chunks and scatter as much or as little as you like where you want on a pizza.
When I did the pizza course with Gennaro , this is what he got us to use.

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 24 Nov 12 9:18pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I've only ever used the balls.

I reckon if I'm going to use the block stuff, I might as we use Edam. It's cheaper. Our local shop only sells block Mozzarella pre-grated, so it's expensive, and it doesn't really seem like the real thing anyway. The Edam is nice. They sell the balls, but I'll stick to eating them raw. Yum!

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 24 Nov 12 10:02pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Funnygirl5 wrote:

Hi,

I'm from Australia and I've never seen taleggio cheese here either... I have a couple of places that I'm going to check but I'm probably going to need to substitute... Any suggestions on what to substitute in soup help (not blue/Stilton cheese though). puke

Thanks
Samantha   big_smile

you could try  emmentaler, tilsiter, or esrom.   I think they would all give good flavour to a soup.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)