forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 20 Nov 12 11:07pm

Blueladder

Occupation Actor
From UK
Member since Sun 18 Nov 12

Bake your own bread buns save loads!!!

Just been to the shop and realized how expensive buns are!!  40p each for nice wholemeal ones!  I get 8 out of 500g flour (a loaf or 8 buns)... it costs me 70p... 8 wholemeal buns at the supermarket cost 2.40!!!!

Get baking!

Cheers!! smile)

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 20 Nov 12 11:31pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: Bake your own bread buns save loads!!!

Thats good  smile now waiting for your recipe  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 21 Nov 12 7:37am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

So true Blueadder! I make loaves, not buns, but it is so easy and cheap and tastes so good! cool

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 21 Nov 12 9:29am

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

The cost of producing any kind bread at home, at least here in Greece, is much much less than buying from a bakery.

I get proper quality flour with 0.7-0.8 euros/kg and including electricity from baking the bread, the cost for a loaf that weight 0.5kg before baking is close to 0.4 euros...maybe the buns could be a bit more expensive because they have a bit sugar and butter but per bun the cost would be very low...

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 21 Nov 12 10:44am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I use the same dough for bread, rolls, whatever (unless I'm trying to be fancy):

500g flour
1 sachet easy-bake yeast
A shoogle of salt (sorry, I'm not exact!)
A glug of oil (this is the Jamie Oliver forum, after all)
Enough water to make it stick to your hand.

I like my dough actually sticky, wetter than a lot of people do, because I find it easier to knead and I find the gluten develops more easily with more water.

I mix and knead in a big bowl, until I can see big stretchy strands of gluten, then I cover and rise for 45min. Then I sprinkle flour over the top and pull the dough away from the side of the bowl using a floured hand, then empty it all out on a floured surface. I usually need to add a fair bit of flour to make it come together.

Then I shape it, prove for 20min (while the oven is preheating) and bake, 15min at MAX (and I mean MAX, bread likes it HOTHOTHOT! Makes it rise more before the crust sets) then turn it down to 160C and bake for another 20-40min, until it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. That depends on size, shape and how much water you added. Drier doughs bake faster, but they don't rise as much.

It works for me. Bread is a very individual thing. But using this method I can get lovely loaves of half white/half wholemeal, pretty good pure wholemeal (you need to knead it for longer and add more water and it will never be as light as white or half-and-half) AND if I am needing super-cheap bread I can make really nice bread from supermarket value brand plain flour. Really, you can, you just need to take more time kneading it to make the most of what gluten there is. You can sometiems get value brand plain flour for 80p per 1.5kg bag. A bag will give you three large loaves.

If making wholemeal, I add a bit of honey, brown sugar or black treacle to improve the flavour. I don't add sugar to white. You don't need it with easy bake yeast. It just speeds up the rising slightly, and I have a warm kitchen anyway.

I like to make my loaves perfectly round. Mr. Hippytea would prefer them made in tins, as it's better for sandwiches, but perfectly round loaves give me a sense of universal peace and shalom.

Edit to add: 500g will make one large loaf or a batch of 8 rolls. Flatten the rolls well with your hand before proving, or they end up taller than they are wide and difficult to eat.

Last edited by hippytea (Wed 21 Nov 12 10:53am)

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 24 Nov 12 4:51pm

Blueladder

Occupation Actor
From UK

Unfortunately, I can't post the link to my wholemeal bread recipe (I like having pictures) as I've not been a member for a week... I think I should be okay Monday.

Have got a delicious easy bake white bread recipe too.  My teenage boy, 16, demolishes a loaf a day so it saves me a fortune!!  (about 120 a year!!!)  Sadly, he won't eat wholemeal but at least I know what he's wolfing down is fresh and chemical free!

I'm going to try Stollen next and see how it compares price wise - and how easy or difficult it is?!!!  (Have priced all the ingredients - luxury quality!! - and the in store Stollens... will start a new thread for that!)

smile

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 24 Nov 12 5:29pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

welcome to the forum Blueladder  smile

the white bread flour from Lidl is pretty good so if you use that then it might save you even more money !

When my children were small I sometimes added a little bit of strong wholemeal flour ito the white loaf . 
Another thing I might add to white bread was a good handful of sunflower seeds , they really enjoyed that load.

We have gradually cut down the amount of salt that we use in bread
,( gradually so that no one would notice the salt difference in what they were used to.)

When you are making bread do remember that the atmospheric conditions will sometimes affect the dough  so what might bake wel one day might need a bit if extra time to prove or a little extra or less time in the ven depending on if its a cold damp day or a fine bright day. So keep an eye on the oven .
This sounds a bit odd but as the bread is baking , you will notice the smell of it start to change as it begind to cook and it changes again as it is almost ready to be taken out of the oven.

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 24 Nov 12 5:32pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Wow. Baking bread by smell? That's a talent. You're like the Bread Whisperer.

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 24 Nov 12 6:10pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

hippytea wrote:

Wow. Baking bread by smell? That's a talent. You're like the Bread Whisperer.

lol  lol  lol No hippytea , its just that as I have no idea of time its been a good habit to get into , I do the same with most cooking and especially cakes,
Try noticing the smell at different times of coking and you will see what I mean.

I did notice that my daughters always do this too .. all those years of me saying... ' smells cooked to me' seem to have rubbed off n them !
(Being vegetarian and cooking meat for my family I have also learned to season meat by smell as well . )

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 25 Nov 12 7:20pm

Blueladder

Occupation Actor
From UK

Cooking by smell makes perfect sense to me!!  And I've noticed all bread flour is different - so you need to develop a sense of when the dough is right - too stiff it doesn't rise properly etc.

I guess I do change it very slightly each time without realizing...

I think tomorrow I should be able to post the link to my basic recipe... (I've tried adding wholemeal flour but too much and the teenagers go off it and it does change how much water/cooking time ever so slightly so I tend just to stick to one or the other).

smile

Likes (0)