Multumesc.  lol

Likes (0)

#503 Sat 24 Nov 12 1:20pm

leen emaish

Member since Sat 24 Nov 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

hi Jamie,
your the greatest cheif iv ever seen im my life you inspire me in food
i was about to study cooking in royal academy of culinary arts but my dad wont let me until i finish univirsity but i will alway love cooking and trying to invent new recipes
i saw you when u were travelling in diffrent countires and trying to see the secrets in their food now im inviting you to come to jordan and see our food smile

love<3
leen

Likes (0)

#504 Sat 24 Nov 12 3:34pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Ooh, what do you eat in Jordan?

Likes (0)

#505 Sat 24 Nov 12 8:49pm

isabel.parranca

Member since Sat 24 Nov 12

Hi Jamie,

I´m a Portuguese mother of a beautiful family. I love to cook although my time is short. Recently I have followed your programs "jamie's 30-minute meals" and love to see "Jamie Does... ". But became a little sad when you were so near by (In Spain) and never came to Portugal. We have delicious plates. The dish that we eat during the year and is our traditional dish for Christmas is made with stockfish. We have more than an hundred ways of cooking it, and many more Portuguese recipes that are delicious. We have a saying "We live to eat and not eat to live".
Would love to see you in Portugal !!!

Thanks,
Isabel Parrança.

Likes (0)

#506 Mon 26 Nov 12 6:23pm

webby32

Member since Thu 15 Nov 12

How do I make Bread pudding and oven time Thanks Peter

Last edited by webby32 (Mon 26 Nov 12 6:27pm)

Likes (0)

#507 Mon 26 Nov 12 7:37pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum webb32  smile

Do you meant ' bread and butter pudding ' which is made with buttered bread like egg custard soaked through it.
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=bread+ … ,s:0,i:122
Or Do you mean Bread Pudding which is a altogether more like cake in texture ( all be it a sort of moist cake )
http://www.essentially-england.com/bread-pudding.html

the links are more so you can see the difference rather than for tips and a recipe.

Once we know then its easy t give you the correct tips and recipes  thumbsup

Last edited by mummza (Mon 26 Nov 12 7:38pm)

Likes (0)

#508 Tue 27 Nov 12 12:11am

CoastalKid

Member since Mon 26 Nov 12

I have just joined so hi to everyone! I am a novice cook but very eager to learn as much as I can as I LOVE food and cooking thumbsup

Can I please ask for help with a christmas cake.  I am going to make Jamie's traditional cake recipe, which I'm sure will be gorgeous, but I would like to attempt a meringue topping (snow effect-hopefully!!).  My question is, if I cook the cake now and feed it for a couple of weeks, can I put it back in the oven to cook the meringue topping??

I'm being a little bit cheeky and using Lorraine Pascale's topping she used on her christmas wonderland traybake, which calls for 20-25mins in the oven!

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you're able to offer me.

Look forward to reading some interesting and helpful blogs you've all posted to date. smile

Likes (0)

#509 Tue 27 Nov 12 12:35am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum CostalKid smile

I am not sure that that sort of topping would work on a rich fruit cake.

When you make a Rich Fruit cake like a Christmas Cake you layer of marzipan on the cake before you ise it and this helps serve a few  purposes ,
it helps prevent any staining onto the icing from the cake
It gives a flat surface for the icing .
The icing on the cake also keeps well and heps to preserve the cake in good condition.

There are several different types of icing that you can put onto the cake , but the sort you see whipped up looking like snow is simple to make.
I havnt got the recipe to hand at the moment but its generally to be forund on the outside of the icing packets ( as far as I can remember).

I can also remember as a child my brothers favorite icing was some sort of american frosting that we had to boil sugar for and then beat up I really have no idea of the recipe as it was way back in the late 60's and we'd found the recipe once in a magazine I think . But that ising when we managed t get it to work ( as children without such eqiptment as a sugar thermemeter and with a degree of impatiience ) when we did manage to get it to work the result was a crisp light dried sugary icing not unlike meringue.

Likes (0)

#510 Tue 27 Nov 12 12:46am

CoastalKid

Member since Mon 26 Nov 12

Hi Mummza,

Thanks for your reply, really helpful.

On Lorraine's recipe she does include sugar syrup and then the meringue topping on her fruit cake (no booze tho!).

To be honest, no-one in my family like the marzipan or icing hence I'm trying to come up with a nice alternative (that hopefully looks nice )

smile
Do you think I'll be ok going with this topping so long as add the sugar syrup first?

Thanks again so much for your help  neutral

Likes (0)