forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 21 Nov 12 7:31pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Steak Bake pasty recipe please before i go mad.

Trad British gravy isn't usually thickened with cornflour. You usually add flour after the browning stage, enough to coat the meat and veg. Then add liquid and the flour will thicken it as it goes.

A steak bake like that usually gets its flavour from the browned meat, onions and black pepper. Plenty of black pepper. Red wine is a bit upmarket - if you want to add booze, use dark ale or stout. Other spices may be added traditionally, but you'd have to hold a butcher at gunpoint to find out exactly what spices go into the best steak pies.

I make steak pie filling, which is the same thing, with a mix of beef hough (shin) and oxtail, but that's for the slow cooker; if you're doing it on the stovetop or oven, use braising steak or chuck or something like that. Brown the meat really well, take it out the pan and cook the onions and other root veg til soft, then put the meat back in, add salt, pepper (plenty) and a good amount of flour. Cook for a little while, then add liquid - beef stock, dark ale or stout - enough to cover. Cook gently for a few hours. Then cool, wrap in pastry and bake. Cold filling is easier to handle and the pastry will hold together better.

Hope that helps!

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 26 Nov 12 11:06am

TomThurston

Member since Mon 15 Oct 12

make sure you get your steak from a producer as this is when it is at its tastiest and freshest. if you are unsure how to get hold of a producer then go to foodbritain.com and they will point you in the right direction

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 26 Nov 12 1:47pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Tom, you make the same post, noting the same resource multiple times.  This type of posting is viewed as spam by members.

Likes (0)

#14 Mon 26 Nov 12 3:37pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Spam is not good in a steak pasty. You need to use beef. You could get away with ostrich or venison, but spam wouldn't work at all.

Likes (0)