forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 21 Nov 12 7:08pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Iron rations meals

What do you cook when you've run out of proper ingredients and either there's no money left for that week or you can't get to a shop?

I generally opt for something like pasta or "cheesy rice" - rice with whatever frozen veg I have, a stock cube and/or soy sauce, an egg cracked in at the end and grated cheese on top. But I also make tortillas with plain flour - brilliant when you've run out of bread, and anything tastes good in a home-made tortilla. If there's nothing else, they're fab with just butter.

I find it's amazing how many meals you can get out of stuff that's just lying in the cupboard. But then, I am a hoarder.

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 25 Nov 12 4:24pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Iron rations meals

I might make something like a chick pea curry  ,  cheese and potato pie , pasta with tomato bases sauces  , savory rice , vegetable curries , Dahl and flatbreads , soups , lentil soup is a great 'standby ' soup to make from store cupboard ingredients.

I am pretty good at looking in the fridge , pantry and freezer and knocking up a meal out of a selection of bits and pieces.

We make all our own bread and so its rare we run out, but another good bread to make if you run out of bread is Irish Soda Bread , this can be made very quickly and although quite a few recipes say to use buttemilk its simple to make without it.
Warm Irish Soda bread is delicious and a taste that takes me back to Sundays as a child when we would call by the bakers after going to church ( they were open for a very short time ) we used to always hope that they had been baking soda bread and that noone else had been in to buy it before us !

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 25 Nov 12 8:38pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

We are at that point of the month right now, have overextended our funds during the holiday and riding through the end of the month on raiding the freezer and pantry.

Last night I made grilled lamb chops with roasted taters and buttered peas.  Everything except for the potatoes were in the freezer.  There's plenty of stuff in there to lasts us months if necessary lol.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 26 Nov 12 9:40am

hippytea

From Scotland

It is amazing what you can make out of almost nothing. It's almost like this cooking lark is actually a practical skill, rather than an untidy sort of hobby.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 26 Nov 12 2:55pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Last night I cooked a large potato rosti for my darling and on top of it I put the remainsof the pulled pork that was in the fridge .

To make the rosti , just grate washed potatoes, unless the skins as tough I do not peel them , I also grate onion ( or fine chop) and I melt some butter.
Combine all this then just scatter into a non-stick frying pan with a little oil in it and cook without disterbing untill the edges start to brown . then turn it , I turn it sliding it onto a board then by fliping it back into the pan.
the starch in the potato will stick the rosti together and as the grated pieces are scattered without being pressed down the water in the potato eveporates so there is no need to do all that squeezingt o remove the fluid.that you sometimes see chefs on the TV do .I was told how to make these from a chef in a restaurant in Geneva.

Rosti's are a great treat for when funds are short , they take a little time to cook but can be topped or served with simple things like a a fried egg or some cooked mushrooms or realy anything.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 26 Nov 12 3:16pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

quiche, baked pasta or rice with blended bits of cheese - if you have eggs and milk, there are so many ways to use a few pantry items.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 26 Nov 12 3:36pm

hippytea

From Scotland

I made couscous fritters today with leftover couscous from yesterday - mixed in some chopped ham and sweetcorn, some crushed garlic, paprika and parsley, then an egg and just enough flour to bind together. Fried them in a little oil. Very tasty. If not using ham, you would need to add salt.

Likes (0)