forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sun 25 Nov 12 7:28pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Bake your own bread buns save loads!!!

Nice to have you back here on the forum Blueladder , I am hoping that we see more of you as its always good to have new members

another thing we used to do was to add a little wheatgerm to a white loaf , not much , just a spoonfull .
The family never really noticed the taste difference but did notice the colour change.

when we make whole meal bread , my husband usallly adds a little white flour to the wholemeal flour as this helps the texture and the rise of the loaf.

When my children were small , fresh baked bread rolls was their favorite snack , I used to make a double quantity at a time and they used to be racing round the house and garden with their friends , rush by the table where the rolls were cooling and before I knew what had happened most had disapeared , I made hundreds and hundreds of rolls over each school holiday !!  lol

Last edited by mummza (Sun 25 Nov 12 7:30pm)

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 26 Nov 12 9:41am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

My Mum used to make white rolls and we'd have them warm with butter and cheese and home made soup. Wonderful.

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 26 Nov 12 9:48am

hippytea

From Scotland

For an interesting variation, I tried pumpkin bread last week. Not like a sweet bread - I used a potato bread recipe, 375g pumpkin puree to 300g strong white flour, 7g easy-bake yeast, salt and water to mix. You don't need much water! The pumpkin has loads.

It's lovely. Very slightly denser than normal white bread but not heavy. Gorgeous colour. Tastes very slightly sweeter than white bread but not much - until you toast it, then it gets this caramelised pumpkin flavour. I'll definitely do it again, mainly for the lovely colour, but it'll also have a hair more fibre than white bread and slightly fewer simple carbs, more like wholemeal, I reckon.

Likes (0)

#14 Mon 26 Nov 12 12:15pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I have done that one Hippytea! Isn't it great! The color and the texture are beautiful. Sweet potato works beautifully too!

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 26 Nov 12 5:14pm

hippytea

From Scotland

In the spirit of scientific enquiry, I'm going to try tomato bread next.

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 26 Nov 12 5:49pm

youngchef212

Member since Tue 20 Nov 12

I love making bread on sundays and waiting for the bread to rise.
A few weeks ago i made hotcross buns and they freeze well too.
i replaced the raisans with dried redcurrants but they were still really nice. smile

Likes (0)

#17 Mon 26 Nov 12 7:15pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Raisian and nut is a favorite of mine , hazlenuts or walnuts

Likes (0)

#18 Mon 26 Nov 12 8:54pm

Blueladder

Occupation Actor
From UK
Member since Sun 18 Nov 12

Here goes... My basic white bread recipe for hungry teenagers!!!  Looks great, tastes good and saves me 60 a year!!!

If I do buns it saves even more!  As I get 8 buns out of one loaf full of dough - and good quality buns cost nearly as much as two loaves!!!!

http://www.squidoo.com/delicious-easy-bake-white-bread

Enjoy!!

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 27 Nov 12 2:39am

hippytea

From Scotland

Home made hot cross buns are amazing! I made them for the first time this Easter. I used to think enriched bread (bread with milk, eggs, butter added) was difficult to make, but I don't know where I got that idea from. As easy as a loaf of bread, and 20 times better than shop-bought. Which actually is no insult to the shop-bought, which I think are usually decent quality - it's just that something like that is so much better fresh! Mmm...

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 27 Nov 12 2:47am

hippytea

From Scotland

Tomato bread turned out great, by the way. Used half wholemeal, half white, passata instead of water, a bit of sugar added (to counteract the coldness of the passata and kick-start rising) and some chopped rosemary. Came out bright vivid orange and subtly tasty. Should make a great cheese sandwich!

Likes (0)