Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 26 Nov 12 8:31pm

TallulahP

Member since Mon 26 Nov 12

Hello from Canada!

I am watching Jamie on the telly right now, and have been browsing his Meals in Minutes book. But all the recipes are for at least four people. I am cooking for me. Maybe, Jamie, you might be up for addressing the single cooks, who want to eat well, but not have a freezer full of left overs. Simple recipes please, as I'm not that clever. I look forward to reading the forum and learning. smile

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 26 Nov 12 10:53pm

Trilobite

From London, UK
Member since Mon 27 Jun 11

Re: Hello from Canada!

Hi TallulahP.

I'm in much the same position. Have you tried the 15/30 minute meals recipes? They're often based on quick-cook ingredients like chicken breasts, small fish etc. so they tend to scale down quite well (i.e. you just cook one instead of four).

What do you do about buying veg in sensible quantities for one person? I've got most of a head of cabbage going off in my kitchen right now...

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 26 Nov 12 11:00pm

TallulahP

I try to buy veggies I can freeze. Cabbage sadly isn't one of them, but if I have a cabbage that won't last, I'll make a quick cabbage soup, adding any other veggie that might need cooking quickly, and then freeze it in portions. I have done that with potato and leek soup too, because I can't cook small. I'm used to cooking large for hungry farm workers. My dad had a huge appetite as does my brother, but dad passed away in June, and brother won't eat vegetarian, so I'm cooking for me, with a separate meal for brother. I try to cook things that I can freeze, but when I see the great recipes in Jamie's book, I wish I had more people to cook for so I could just whip up the meal as he's written it.  I do love the Meals in Minutes book, and am going to get the 15 minute book too.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 26 Nov 12 11:09pm

Trilobite

From London, UK

Hi,

Does your brother like Indian food? Indian vegetarian cooking is awesome. Got a couple of nice vegetarian curry recipies, if you're interested.

And good on you for your generous impulses. I've found that baking is a good outlet for that sort of thing - making a cake or some bread and taking it into work, sharing it with neighbours etc.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 26 Nov 12 11:13pm

TallulahP

My brother likes meat, potatoes, and gravy kinds of meals. And omelettes. And pasta as long as it's simple with nothing "new" in it. lol He's not adventurous. I'll just have to learn to cook for me, and separately for him.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 27 Nov 12 12:04am

Trilobite

From London, UK

Liberties! I hesitate to butt in on family business, but you shouldn't have to cook two meals.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 27 Nov 12 12:42am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I never know if it's one or two for meals.  I use my freezer a lot.  It's a great resource that you pay for in electric bills anyway.  Unless you freeze incorrectly or leave things in there too long, the quality of many foods should be excellent when reheated.

If you cook for different tastes and preferences or because some have health issues, that's fine.  That's something I've done all my life.  It's not hard, it's just part of life.

I hope none of you ever has to avoid wasting a scrap of cabbage out of necessity.  I have been there and you know, it really does feel good to not waste a thing, to be smart about it and to be creative.  Almost any recipe can be scaled down and there is almost nothing that doesn't cause a lot of waste (packaging, etc.) that is geared to one portion. smile

Last edited by MsPablo (Tue 27 Nov 12 12:48am)

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 30 Nov 12 12:36pm

Ladybee1602

Member since Sat 24 Nov 12

TallulahP wrote:

I try to buy veggies I can freeze. Cabbage sadly isn't one of them,.

I freeze cabbage and it works well.  Just cut it finely, freeze it and when you want to use it, saute an onion, a little chopped bacon and add your cabbage.

Yummy!

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 30 Nov 12 4:25pm

TallulahP

Thanks for the info re cabbage! I will omit the bacon as I'm vegetarian, but I never knew you could freeze raw cabbage. I am learning something new. smile

Likes (0)