Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#511 Tue 11 Dec 12 3:02pm

shevie

Member since Tue 11 Dec 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi there Jamie, I hope you can inspire me!
On a complete whim, I decided to make my dear old aged mum a box of home made marron glaces for xmas as she loves them so much and they're about £1.50 EACH in the shops! I have successfully made about 24 and they are delicious but in several million pieces, but never mind, she'll be well impressed and will eat every mouthful, I know.
My question is this, apart from using it on ice cream, and mixing it into cream to go with meringues (my arteries are clogging just thinking about it) what can I do with the leftover syrup. It's full of gorgeousness (now where did I get that word from?) and I simply can't bring myself to throw it out.
Can you think of anything?
thumbsup  help  crossed

Likes (0)

#512 Tue 11 Dec 12 9:32pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I'm not Jamie, but you could use that syrup to flavour coffee or hot chocolate.

Or make a sponge cake, then prick it and pour over the syrup like you would a lemon drizzle cake.

Or make a Christmas fruit salad (say with plums, clementines, walnuts and apples) and dress it with the chestnut syrup.

Or use it as a glaze for meat - maybe venison or beef?

Whatever you do, don't throw it away! If it's a fairly strong syrup, like stock syrup consistency, it should keep indefinitely in the fridge.

Last edited by hippytea (Tue 11 Dec 12 9:36pm)

Likes (0)

#513 Tue 11 Dec 12 11:34pm

shevie

Member since Tue 11 Dec 12

I love the sponge cake suggestion and will give that a go! I have put it in a sterilized jar and popped it into the fridge. Never even thought about meat glaze but I think the venison idea is great.
Many thanks, it's great to have something a bit more exciting than just the old ice cream sauce thing, eh? Have a great xmas! smile

Likes (0)

#514 Wed 12 Dec 12 1:03am

najys

Occupation Sous Chef
From Australia, Sydney
Member since Mon 11 Dec 06

Hi !!

I have a question... I need to make stuffing for Christmas lunch.

I have a child who is allergic to eggs, another one allergic to cashews and pistachios.

And dietary requests that have asked for no dried fruits in the stuffing.

DILEMMA !!

What can I use to bind my stuffing without using eggs ?

Likes (0)

#515 Wed 12 Dec 12 6:24am

littlejeanie

Occupation Nurse
From Victoria, Aus
Member since Sat 26 May 07

Hi Jamie,
              I am throwing a christmas eve party, and one of the guests has a soy,dairy and gluten allergy.  I was wondering if you had any really good gluten free pasta/bread recipes. 

Thankingyou, and Merry Xmas Jamie and family.
Littlejeanie. big_smile  smile

Likes (0)

#516 Wed 12 Dec 12 8:53am

hippytea

From Scotland

najys: would some cheese work? I know I've seen fish cake recipes which used parmesan as a binder instead of eggs.

And actually, do you need a binder at all? Stuffing is meant to be a bit crumbly. You could just moisten the mixture with water or stock, maybe add a bit of flour so it will approximately stay together in balls.

Is it bread stuffing, sausagemeat stuffing or something else? Sausagemeat will bind itself to some extent, as will any raw meat.

Last edited by hippytea (Wed 12 Dec 12 8:55am)

Likes (0)

#517 Wed 12 Dec 12 10:53am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I've just made 2 litres of pesto to give as gifts and to stock up myself. It keeps fine in the fridge or freezer but looses some of its green-ness on storing. I don't add Parmesan when making (even if for immediate use). Those who want it can add it at the table, family style.

In addition to the "usual suspects" , I also use white walnuts in my recipe.

Last edited by Maree (Wed 12 Dec 12 10:56am)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#518 Wed 12 Dec 12 12:29pm

jonty

Occupation warehouse operative
From Huddersfield
Member since Wed 04 Jan 06

Hi
I brew homemade wine (normally from Kits),but i have just made and bottled some Sloe wine,(which will take a few months to mature).
My question is what food would accompany the Sloe wine ?
As this is the first time i have made sloe wine from the fruit and not from a kit , what food would accompany the Sloe wine ?
Any suggestions would be most welcome and appreciated.
Thank you
Jonty

Likes (0)

#519 Wed 12 Dec 12 4:13pm

hippytea

From Scotland

Jamieeee!

Wazaa.

Nice to see you. Do you come here often?

Likes (0)

#520 Fri 14 Dec 12 3:54pm

desitaly

Member since Fri 14 Dec 12

Hi Jamie!
I have a small butcher's shop in northern Italy with my husband, and get wonderful pork meat from Mantova, but something you don't find in Italy is gammon. I would really like to know how I could make it, starting from the hind leg of the pork. I understand the raw meat has to be treated, but how? Thanks a lot!  big_smile

Likes (0)