forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 27 Nov 12 3:20pm

BusyBee35

Member since Fri 26 Jun 09

Christmas Stuffing

I have your turkey stuffing recipe (Red onions, sage, pork sausagemeat, breadcrumbs and dried fruit). I was wondering whether it is possible to freeze the stuffing?

Many thanks.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 27 Nov 12 4:00pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Christmas Stuffing

I've had a look at the recipe on the site and it contains raw egg and pork that Jamie adds just before putting the stuffing between the skin and meat of the turkey breast and then immediately cooking the bird.

Never store raw egg and meat together in the refrigerator or freezer.  It may cause food sickness.  You could make stuffing without the pork and egg, freeze it, thaw in the fridge overnight and add the egg and pork just before you intend to stuff the bird or cook the stuffing.

Alternatively, you could put the stuffing together and bake it in a baking dish, then freeze it.  If you do it this way, I would have some stock on hand to add when reheating so it doesn't dry out.

Last edited by MsPablo (Tue 27 Nov 12 4:02pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 27 Nov 12 5:23pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I make the sausage stuffing for the Christmas turkey a little differently as I don't put egg or breadcrumbs into it .
Similar ingredients and yes I freeze it each year.

What I do ... I chop the onion into a fine dice , chop a couple of brown mushrooms fine  , mince or fine chop some garlic .
Into a pan with a very little bit of butter I brown the onions and when these are almost brown  I add the mushroom and garlic . I cook this out well.then leave to cool.
Meanwhile I roughly chop things like a couple of dates , a couple of dried apricots a few whole peeled chestnuts maybe a couple of walnuts quite small ( as you don't want to be biting into big pieces in the stuffing ) what goes in depends what is in the cupboard !
I fine chop a small apple .

So into the bowl I put the sausage meat , cooled onions and mushroom , mix chopped dried fruits and nuts and the apple , but don't forget that the star if the show is the sausage meat .there should be plenty of sausage meat .
I might then add a touch of tomato purée , salt and pepper , maybe the zest of an orange .
I mix all this together by sort of squishing it with my hands .
I then pack it into small oven proof and freezer proof dishes , put a piece of baking parchment on top , then wrap with foil and just so I'm sure it's ok I wrap it fully in cling film.
This goes into the freezer.
I make several small oven dishes of it . I usually use dishes that ae aprox 6 inches by 3 inches .

Christmas Eve I remove one to defrost in the fridge .
Christmas Day I unwrap it and bake it in the dish.
I never stuff it into the turkey.

As I need  , I remove the other dishes of sausage meat stuffing and defrost them . I also keep things like puff pastry in the freezer that I might defrost as well because this sausage meat stuffing then might heat made into things like sausage rolls or a sausage meat plait , or just simply baked to add to a plate of cold meat.

You can also get ' pigs I in blankets'  ready and freeze them . Just wrap the streaky bacon around the sausage . Put into a freezer box that you have put a small piece of baking parchment into the base . Arrange the bacon wrapped sausages neatly and between each layer put a piece of baking parchment . Put a lid on the freezerbox . Then before you need them remove a quantity to defrost . oven cook.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 27 Nov 12 8:25pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Jamie's recipe would be ok to freeze if the egg was omitted and the OP would still have the option to stuff under the skin of the breast.  This is to keep the breast meat moist. 

Of course, it's not considered safe to stuff the cavity of a big bird.  This year, I used a turkey breast and I did fill the cavity and outside of the cavity with stuffing with foil around it to hold it in place.  A friend recommended this and apparently it's safer as the heat is able to reach the bird and stuffing more evenly.  I do pull it all out and carve right away so that I don't have stuffing in a bird in the fridge.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 27 Nov 12 8:36pm

BusyBee35

Member since Fri 26 Jun 09

Thanks for all your replies - freezing is the way to go!! My recipe doesn't have egg in.

Thanks again. smile

Likes (0)