forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 29 Nov 12 4:36pm

makuma33

Member since Sat 14 Jan 12

Flour

If I can't get self-raising flour, (I live in the wilds in Spain), can I use normal flour with no problem?? Or would I have to add baking powder?? Want to make a jam roly poly this weekend!!

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 29 Nov 12 7:18pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Flour

You need to add baking powder. 3tsp per 225g according to my baking powder pot (that's the amount for "suet and steamed puddings".

Hope that helps!

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 30 Nov 12 7:43am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

The way it is done here is 2 tsp baking powder for every cup of plain flour to make self raising flour (cup is 250ml). Shake the baking powder well before opening so it mixes properly (it contains two different powders that start working when they get wet), and sieve the flour 2 or 3 times once you have added the baking powder so that it mixes through evenly.

Good luck with your roly poly! smile

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 30 Nov 12 8:48am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Self-Rising Flour Substitute
"1 cup (130 grams) (240 ml) similar grade (all purpose) flour plus  1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder plus 1/4 teaspoon salt"
http://www.joyofbaking.com/IngredientSubstitution.html

They also list substitutes for different types of flours as well.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 30 Nov 12 9:09am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Yes - to clarify, the quantities I gave there were not to reproduce standard SR flour, they were the ideal quantities for steamed/suet puddings, according to my baking powder pot. It gives different quantities for different types of recipe, so in theory it should give a better result than SR flour. This is not according to my experience, however, I'm just reading it off the pot.

Likes (0)