forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#581 Thu 17 Nov 11 4:13pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Dave Barkers Christmas Kitchen...

I've done: pesto, preserved lemons, tapenade (pls see below), olives in marinade,  panettone, panforte, fruit mince, dukkah, ras el hanout, mini puds, mini cakes.

Have yet to do: char-grilled veg, feta in marinade, eggplant/aubergine relish, tomato relish, Frizz's caramelised onions and mini (mini muffin sized) pastry cases for the fruit mince (pies) or tapenade etc (I use my late FIL's recipe for tapenade which includes capers and almonds and has texture) and kourabiethes/kourabiedes (Greek almond shortbread studded with cloves, crescent shaped and dusted with icing sugar)  and strawberry/vanilla jam.

I admit I'm using these gift baskets as a "marketing" and "good will" exercise for my catering business but ... Am also doing "pet baskets" with toys, treats etc.

Must get on with "family food stuff".  Though, these days, Christmas is *very* complicated- not helped by my poor, sweet darling son's birthday being 27 December.

Hope I've given someone some ideas for Christmas "gifts from the kitchen"  crossed

Mummza, living alone most of the time and rejecting most bottled/processed  stuff, I've become a scrounger with friends, family and neighbours  in order to get my jars. Some nicer than others. Would really like bottles for oils and vinegars. They are in scarce supply here, it seems. From scrounger to hoarder hmm.

Last edited by Maree (Thu 17 Nov 11 4:46pm)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#582 Thu 17 Nov 11 10:42pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I know what you mean about getting jars Maree , I had carefully saved a pile of jars and my darling found them and recycled them as he had forgotten why they were being saved !

Jars of Ras el hanout sound a great idea to me , I could make up  a little gift box/hamper with ther things that compliment it.. I shall give that some thought  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#583 Fri 18 Nov 11 12:16am

Maree

Forum super champ

I had the jar "incident" happen to me a couple of years ago. I'd carefully stored them in the laundry, a room that I thought I was the only one to know the location of hmm.

Here's the "recipe" I use:

RAS AL HANOUT (from Greg Malouf)

Lightly roast and grind:

1 tsp cumin seeds

1 tsp coriander seeds

6 cardamom pods, seeds only

1/2 tsp fennel seeds

1/2 tsp black peppercorns
then sieve to remove the husks

Mix in:

2 tsp sweet paprika

1 tsp cinnamon powder

1 tsp turmeric

1 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp allspice

Store in an air tight container.

Likes (0)

#584 Wed 28 Nov 12 7:36am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Time to 'bump' our long standing Christmas thread I think . This thread is full of recipes and ideas ( plus a bit of chit-chat ) to help with Christmas .

For those that don't know Dave , Dave Barker is a chef , when he first joined the forum he had a different job but then re-trained to work as a chef.

As you can see this thread has been running for a number of years . Please add a few more tips and recipes as its a good one to keep running.  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#585 Fri 30 Nov 12 1:30pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Good thinking, Mummza thumbsup

Also, a reminder for those on "Wouldn't it be Cool" thread (leftovers), tomorrow (Saturday) we are meant to be "doing edible gifts".

Likes (0)

#586 Sat 01 Dec 12 9:32am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#587 Sun 09 Dec 12 10:41am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I am rather behind with my Christmas preperations at the moment , some of the freezer space needs to be eaten to make space for the christmas preperation like the 'pigs in blankets' the sausagemeat stuffing , mince pies etc .  and although my poor darling is doing his best to eat through things progress is slow !
My family seem to be failing in ' task ...eat the freezer contents'
Fortunatly one of my daughters is home this weekend and so there has been one joint of meat removed for them to eat for lunch today .. thats a little bit of space made  lol
another daughter will be home next weekend , but I will be in London as I am going to the street party outside Fifteen .. I will have to encourage her to cook meals for her father using things from the freezer  lol

Ah well , things arnt going to the usual plans this year but never mind, Christmas always happens whatever and we always ave a lovley time together as a family and thats what is important.

big_smile

Likes (0)