forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 02 Dec 12 12:30am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

S p a t c h c o c k e d Turkey?

Just a stupid idea I had as I was reading Christmas recipes. I mean, Christmas turkey dinner's basically just a roast with a few extra sides - it shouldn't be stressful. The main thing that makes it so is that a turkey takes so long to cook.

S p a t c h c o c k i n g a chicken cuts the cooking time by almost half. Is there any good reason you couldn't s p a t c h c o c k a turkey?

Apart from cooking time, it would give more slack in the skin on the breast so you could fit more stuffing in (I have a s p a t c h c o c k e d chicken recipe where you loosen the ENTIRE skin and put a layer of stuffing over the whole bird!).

For some reason the idea of a s p a t c h c o c k e d turkey makes me laugh. It seems a bit absurd. But why not? It's not that hard to do and could be quite practical. And it would still look cool brought to the table, if a bit surreal.

BTW the reason I have written it s p a t c h c o c k is because I am NOT ALLOWED to write the word because it is defined as a "Spam Word". I am not allowed to write s p a t c h c o c k e d on a cookery forum! What's going on here? I wasn't allowed s t r e s s f e s t either. ???? help  angry  question

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 02 Dec 12 2:03am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: S p a t c h c o c k e d Turkey?

spatchcocked

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#3 Sun 02 Dec 12 2:03am

Ashen

Forum champ
From out to lunch

whistle

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 02 Dec 12 2:08am

Ashen

Forum champ
From out to lunch

actually it is a great idea.   Using a more open surface pan instead of a roaster would also speed up the cooking  and give better browning.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 02 Dec 12 9:22am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

You'd need a realy big oven to cook it in !

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 02 Dec 12 10:26am

hippytea

From Scotland

spatchcock

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 02 Dec 12 10:31am

hippytea

From Scotland

All right, I have no idea what is going on. Last night it refused to post my post saying there were "spam words detected". It wouldn't let it through until I'd removed every instance of "spatchcock" or "spatchcocked".

It's messing with my head.

Whether it would fit in a normal oven would depend on the size of the turkey. I grant you this may not work with a 25-pounder! But up to about 12 pounds I reckon you're in with a chance.

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 02 Dec 12 1:12pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Though I posted this in another thread already.

Julia Child and Jacques Pepin Stuffed Turkey Roulade.
http://video.pbs.org/video/1333042208/

He bones out a chicken in like thirty seconds and then moves on to the turkey.

Edit:

Forgot to add "Stuffing is EVIL" (Alton Brown)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto … index.html

Last edited by Pakman (Sun 02 Dec 12 1:21pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 02 Dec 12 3:20pm

cannyfradock

Occupation Builder (bricklayer/ stonemason)
From S.Wales.
Member since Sat 10 Oct 09

Hippytea

I often spatchc ock a chicken when I want to make a spicy or sticky marinade where I need the whole surface of the bird to be part of it's marinade. There's no reason why you can't do this with a Turkey......good idea. For me though a Christmas bird should be presented whole and carved in front of the the family....or guests.

To keep the moisture level correct in a turkey I will be attempting a "beer can chicken" style roast this Xmas with my turkey...

http://t.co/y6FQ3RRT .....although I will avoid this recipe for turkey ... http://t.co/MpvDVSNj ....which is only for the very brave.....or foolhardy.

Terry

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 02 Dec 12 7:26pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Love the dishes Jacques and Julia were making in the video.  That turkey looked wonderful.  I'm not sure if I'm ready to debone one myself . . .   I have heard of people spatchcocking the turkey and yes, it cooks faster and you need plenty of space to spread it out.

Likes (0)